World News closed: Entertainment News still open.

7by7

54 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

With the World News section closed I will visit this forums only if I'm after some specific information only other expats can answer. So from several visits a day I'll probably visit once or twice a month.

Only reason I visited today was to find out what happened to the World News section. Not the smartest decision TVF ever made.

imo some very thin skinned people were involved. I'm sure they feel there will be less bashing of incompetent western countries which will allow more bashing of Thais of course (of which the racism inspires so many more clicks.. lol)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

Are you saying that advertising revenue is determined by the number of members, not the number of daily visits?

If so, that would explain the Hotel California nature of Thai Visa. Even banned members are still listed as members!

I was referring to the number of people participating in any given discussion. A topic with 1000 posts but only 15-20 contributors isn't making Thaivisa much money. This topic has one poster with 149 posts and another with 111 posts:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1205401-uk-had-one-or-two-brexit-teething-issues-on-fishing-minister-says/

3 minutes ago, nkg said:

I was referring to the number of people participating in any given discussion. A topic with 1000 posts but only 15-20 contributors isn't making Thaivisa much money. This topic has one poster with 149 posts and another with 111 posts:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1205401-uk-had-one-or-two-brexit-teething-issues-on-fishing-minister-says/

N.B. I edited my post with an addendum while you were typing.

260 posts out of  1000. Yes, many of those other posts were by the same people, too. But the topic had over 20,000 views! All of which generated advertising income.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

N.B. I edited my post with an addendum while you were typing.

260 posts out of  1000. Yes, many of those other posts were by the same people, too. But the topic had over 20,000 views! All of which generated advertising income.

Neither of us know how the "views" figure is calculated, but it is in Thaivisa's interests for that figure to be large in order to attract advertisers.

On forums I have been involved with, the "view" figure is incremented by one if the page is refreshed, if a new post is made, if a different page is viewed within the same topic. One person who made 100 posts could easily be responsible for 2,000 "views".

If that one person has an adblocker, or never clicks the banner ads, those 2,000 views generate $0 of income. Thaivisa have the exact statistics telling them how much their "world news" views are worth - modern website analytics are incredibly detailed. If the total income was less than the fees that they paid to Reuters ......

• Like 2

9 hours ago, simple1 said:

...May I suggest the owner/s formally advise members if World News / Thai News forums are now closed, at a minimum would be an act of courtesy.

I saw this formal announcement:

• Thanks 2

It would be helpful to have ThaiVisa comment.

My  feeling is that this relates to the compensation agreements being made by search engines like Google and Facebook with news media content creators. The news writers and providers have a right to be compensated for their work. Many people  assume that they should work for free  and that they get their income from the air, or as they say now, the "cloud".  With the reduced number of  foreign english language news readers  at the website, it may not have made economic sense to continue.

4 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

It would be helpful to have ThaiVisa comment.

My  feeling is that this relates to the compensation agreements being made by search engines like Google and Facebook with news media content creators. The news writers and providers have a right to be compensated for their work. Many people  assume that they should work for free  and that they get their income from the air, or as they say now, the "cloud".  With the reduced number of  foreign english language news readers  at the website, it may not have made economic sense to continue.

Interesting theory but not sure a private business really should be expected to reveal such internal details. We got a general reason which people can take as credible or not, but at the end of the end, that forum is kaput. It's in the category of things we can't change. Just accept. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1