World News closed: Entertainment News still open.

7by7

13 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed.

As I asked in the OP: "If ThaiVisa management no longer wanted to pay for World News content, why could the forum not have been left open for members to post free content and comments on same?"

I think it's because then TVF could be sued for sharing news stories and not paying for the content. There's no such thing as 'free' content. Journalists & news publishers work for money, and no-one is going to let you copy and paste their work for free. 

11 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

I think it's because then TVF could be sued for sharing news stories and not paying for the content. There's no such thing as 'free' content. Journalists & news publishers work for money, and no-one is going to let you copy and paste their work for free. 

Scoop.me 

Republish for free

Scoop.me offers media and authors all over the world the opportunity to republish the content shared on Scoop.me free of charge – both for print and online. The articles can either be translated or republished in the original language.

(I have no connection to them, I am merely using them as an example. Other sites offering the same or a similar service exist.)

11 hours ago, polpott said:

more people using some form of ad blocker due to the insane layout of ads

Winner winner, chicken dinner.  I didn't mind seeing some ads.  In fact, some of them were genuinely interesting and useful.  But the ad layouts often made the site totally unreadable, and lasted that way for weeks on end. 

Maybe they've fixed those issues, but who wants to be the guinea pig to find out?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Thaivisa paid for the news it posted.   That is the reason that full articles were posted.  

56 minutes ago, polpott said:

And is that the reason it is now blocked?

I believe the providers that Thaivisa was using have raised their prices considerably.   So, I would say that is the primary reason.  Mods and Admin were not given a great deal of insight into the reasoning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a temporary measure at least, couldn't TV just take World news stories from the BBC news website, posting just the headline and first couple of sentences with a link to avoid copyright infringement?

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, katana said:

As a temporary measure at least, couldn't TV just take World news stories from the BBC news website, posting just the headline and first couple of sentences with a link to avoid copyright infringement?

Why the BBC there are many reports on the internet where the BBC has been accused of being bias in its reporting

• Like 1

I think the concern about the forum finances among some members is a red herring, however if there is a genuine concern about the forum  finances and their revenue streams why not start a poll to examine how many members would pay for a 2 tier forum via a subscription service, assuming that the owner of TV wants to implement such a service and that the forum software can supported a paid for access News feed forum while the rest of the forum remains free.

Personally I don't think there isn't enough support from members that would be willing to pay for access to a International News feed subscription service

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think the concern about the forum finances among some members is a red herring, however if there is a genuine concern about the forum  finances and their revenue streams why not start a poll to examine how many members would pay for a 2 tier forum via a subscription service, assuming that the owner of TV wants to implement such a service and that the forum software can supported a paid for access News feed forum while the rest of the forum remains free.

Personally I don't think there isn't enough support from members that would be willing to pay for access to a International News feed subscription service

Obviously,  members won't pay for a world news feed. Everyone can get similar for free. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Why the BBC there are many reports on the internet where the BBC has been accused of being bias in its reporting

Well, it was just a suggestion of a news website whose storys could be quoted and might allow for the TV News section to return.
As to its bias, I agree with you, but that wasn't really the point.

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Winner winner, chicken dinner.  I didn't mind seeing some ads.  In fact, some of them were genuinely interesting and useful.  But the ad layouts often made the site totally unreadable, and lasted that way for weeks on end. 

Maybe they've fixed those issues, but who wants to be the guinea pig to find out?

Correct. I deliberately switched my ad blocker off "to support Thaivisa". But a bug with the adverts (pages shaking up and down while I was trying to read them) meant that I turned it back on again.

Sort out the problems, announce that you've done it, and I'll happily switch off my adblocker permanently.

• Like 1

Just now, katana said:

Well, it was just a suggestion of a news website whose storys could be quoted and might allow for the TV News section to return.
As to its bias, I agree with you, but that wasn't really the point.

Yeah I get your point in that.

I'm going to assume that the site doesn't want to present as a Cheap Charlie "stealing" those stories from any particular source, even with just links. Or perhaps it wouldn't even be completely legal for a commercial business to use in that way. So it was either fully legit or nothing. 

Same rules should apply for both free forums and any paid for forum,

two people go into a bank a non-customer of that bank and a customer of that bank,

Would the bank allow any of the above customers to shout and make insults to the staff or would they both be asked to leave and make their business elsewhere

Edited by onthedarkside
quote of hidden post removed

16 hours ago, Scott said:

I believe the providers that Thaivisa was using have raised their prices considerably.   So, I would say that is the primary reason.  Mods and Admin were not given a great deal of insight into the reasoning.  

So why not allow forum members to provide the news? 

Links direct to stories don't need to be used, if not allowed. Posters could start a new thread with something like " Did you see the news about............?"

One of the most popular topics in recent weeks was a poll started by you, @Scott. That was free, wasn't it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

So why not allow forum members to provide the news? 

Links direct to stories don't need to be used, if not allowed. Posters could start a new thread with something like " Did you see the news about............?"

One of the most popular topics in recent weeks was a poll started by you, @Scott. That was free, wasn't it?

And why not allow threads that were already running to continue?

• Like 1