Thai hospitals information on Covid vaccinations

jayboy

I'm bemused by the complete lack of information on Covid 19 vaccination arrangements on the websites of the major Thai hospitals/vaccination centres/expat oriented medical clinics.We know that in the next few months the Thai government will allow private sector hospitals to give vaccinations.I am very well aware that at the present moment there there nothing specific to say.Nevertheless, in view of the great interest and concern, it would seem obvious for the need to flag the matter on hospital websites, even if the message now is just to "watch this space." Yet there is nothing that I can see at all.

• Like 2

Some hospitals have reached out to patient lists gauging interest in a vaccine.

At least one hospital got spanked for being too aggressive: 10,000 baht reservations.

"Watch this space" doesn't really advance anything. More or less useless.

My guess is that hospitals are keeping a low profile, while trying to source vaccines, in order to not run afoul of the "government's" vaccination efforts. 

Hoepful things will loosen up ~ September-ish.

In a tweet from Richard Barrow today, a graphic:

1864060903_Screenshot(17)_LI.jpg.59e0a50e5f118f8499cc146a1801fa36.jpg

seems to suggest that the Thai Government has approved 7 Covid-19 vaccinations. I'm basing this assumption on "vaccines registered for local inoculation".

This is good news, if I have interpreted correctly.

Edited by Maestro
Corrected CV to Covid

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Some hospitals have reached out to patient lists gauging interest in a vaccine.

At least one hospital got spanked for being too aggressive: 10,000 baht reservations.

"Watch this space" doesn't really advance anything. More or less useless.

My guess is that hospitals are keeping a low profile, while trying to source vaccines, in order to not run afoul of the "government's" vaccination efforts. 

Hoepful things will loosen up ~ September-ish.

Some hospitals have reached out to patient lists to check interest,Bumrungrad for example.However I was talking about the lack of any information on websites.

The hospital you refer to was reprimanded because it was effectively advertising a product which not authorised by the Thai government.Nor at that time were private sector organisations to authorised to sell.Again irrelevant to lack of information on websites.

You are in error to suggest a holding position on a hospital website is "useless". It informs the interested customer that this is the place to check from time to time.Perhaps also inviting those interested to sign up when info is available.

Having said that I think you are onto something in suggesting the private sector is lying low for the time being not only for the reason you mention but because the whole subject has become politicised and thus sensitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samtam said:

This is good news, if I have interpreted correctly.

Pretty sure those are the vaccines which allow foreigners to enter Thailand.

I think the Thai FDA has approved Sinovac, Astrazeneca and J&J so far, for use in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Pretty sure those are the vaccines which allow foreigners to enter Thailand.

I think the Thai FDA has approved Sinovac, Astrazeneca and J&J so far, for use in Thailand.

Yes, I thought that too. But then, if that is so, the MFA and or other source is completely false. "Locally inoculated" in English means inoculated locally, (in Phuket, in this instance). This graphic is about inoculating the local population in Phuket, to enable it to become a tourist "sandbox". But yes, apart from Sinovac, AZ Siam Bioscience and just recently J&J, I have read nothing about other vaccines being approved, and certainly not available in Thailand; only Sinovac and AZ/O are available from my reading. If Phuket has only approved foreign tourists with these 7 vaccines, then by logic, they should be approved for local inoculation. Yes, I know logic etc.

azd1222 siam biosciance is not even made yet. So still needs testing and formal approval.

There are too many ministries involved in organising an international tourism, as it's from where money is coming.

They are not coordinating their work, hence everyday contradictory stories.  

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, samtam said:

Yes, I thought that too. But then, if that is so, the MFA and or other source is completely false. "Locally inoculated" in English means inoculated locally, (in Phuket, in this instance). This graphic is about inoculating the local population in Phuket, to enable it to become a tourist "sandbox". But yes, apart from Sinovac, AZ Siam Bioscience and just recently J&J, I have read nothing about other vaccines being approved, and certainly not available in Thailand; only Sinovac and AZ/O are available from my reading. If Phuket has only approved foreign tourists with these 7 vaccines, then by logic, they should be approved for local inoculation. Yes, I know logic etc.

Actually, this post makes it clear that it is approval of foreign tourists with any of these 7 vaccines, so the graphic and story are incorrect. Presumably the Thai/hospitality population of Phuket will be given either Sinovac, or AZ by the intended 1 July rollout, unless other vaccines are available by then.

I called Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya yesterday afternoon to ask when they expected vaccines to be available. "Watch our website" was all the information I got, pretty useless really, I'd expected more from them given how much profit they stand to make.

Got this on 28/3, they are just waiting on a green light then the market will be full of offers.

Greetings from Bumrungrad International Hospital.

As of now, the government, through the assistance of the Ministry of Public Health, has begun administering COVID-19 vaccinations to those first in line, which include medical professionals and frontline healthcare personnel (both in the private and public sectors), those with chronic medical conditions, and those over 60 years of age. The government plans to gradually provide COVID-19 vaccinations to the general public according to the number of vaccines that are supplied. 

Bumrungrad has received immense interest regarding the COVID-19 vaccine. Out of concern for you and your family during this pandemic, please know that we have already completed the process of ordering Thai FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines, having followed government regulations and procedures. Additionally, we have been coordinating with other private hospitals in obtaining more vaccines. 

We will inform you when we have received the vaccines and are ready to provide the vaccination service.

Thank you for your trust in Bumrungrad International Hospital

• Thanks 2

MISLEADING ADVERTISING

in the Pattaya international hospital there is a big sign in the lobby, advertising Covid-19 package for (I believe 3,800 Baht).

then you read the small print talking about testing, result in 24 hours etc)

after asking the receptionist, the package apparently does not include the vaccine, but only testing.

I wonder what the cost will be once the vaccine is available!

thaisabai

21 hours ago, internationalism said:

azd1222 siam biosciance is not even made yet. So still needs testing and formal approval.

There are too many ministries involved in organising an international tourism, as it's from where money is coming.

They are not coordinating their work, hence everyday contradictory stories.  

Yep, testing and approvals, no further comment needed.

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

Got this on 28/3, they are just waiting on a green light then the market will be full of offers.

Thanks for posting this.

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

please know that we have already completed the process of ordering Thai FDA approved COVID-19 vaccines, having followed government regulations and procedures. Additionally, we have been coordinating with other private hospitals in obtaining more vaccines. 

Right now, I think the only Thai FDA approved vaccines are: Sinovac, AstraZeneca and J&J. No clue what the difference is between "completed a process of ordering" (placed an order with a PO, probably waiting for order confirmation and an ESD), and "coordinating with other hospitals in obtaining more vaccines" (Other than these three? or just more volume).

For now, sticking with the prediction made to me by my doctor at a large int'l hopsital here three months ago: Q421, 6,500 - 10,000 all in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rott said:

I am told that the Red Cross will be able to vaccinate foreigners. The person who told me is notoriously unreliable, but would the Red Cross be likely to get involved.?

I'm not sure the Red Cross has the funding to buy vaccine, it seems unlikely to me they would fill a role that is being done by government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brierley said:

I'm not sure the Red Cross has the funding to buy vaccine, it seems unlikely to me they would fill a role that is being done by government.

They already have virtually every other possible vaccine available.  It's one of the best places in Bangkok to get any vaccine.  They have an entire building dedicated to administering vaccines.  I got my yellow fever vaccine there.  I'm sure they will have the covid vaccines when they become available, but they won't be free.

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 2

There's no doubt the whole vaccine thing has become political.  The private hospitals are ready to import and administer vaccines (for a cost, of course) and could do so quickly as soon as they get government approval.  Unlikely they will get that approval if others feel it will make them look bad in comparison.

• Like 2

the thai red cross, as well as all travel clinics, will have some vax in remote future.

still, worth to register with them, for example by taking any vax now, to be on their patient list and possibly put name on covid list. Being an existent patient gives an advantage, at least getting fast info.

as red cross is charitable organisation, they might have donated vax from another red cross in the world, from the governments or producers. For example vax with short expiry date and not suitable to be used in that country, withdrawn from administration or not effective for the new strains. There would be probably a lot of outdated vax in some countries. For example the UK has ordered some 350mln doses for 65mln population. Yes, they might have for 3rd and consecutive jabs, but might well have surplus 

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, JTXR said:

There's no doubt the whole vaccine thing has become political.  The private hospitals are ready to import and administer vaccines (for a cost, of course) and could do so quickly as soon as they get government approval. 

It appears government approval has not yet been given.I suspect it soon will be not because of the needs/opinions of foreigners - they matter not a jot - but because of pressure from the large urban Thai upper middle class upon whose support the government depends.