Why not mulchers ?

elgenon

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Thai mindset would suggest still easier to burn.......but nice idea.....now if they were paid.......that would work.

The government would handle everything. So less effort than burning. And easier breathing for the farmers and their kids. They will be paid by receiving the resulting mulch compost.

7 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Communal mulchers would be great, but the current pollution crisis is mostly from arsonists setting fire to forest floors, ahead of wild mushroom collection..

I never said it would cure burning by 100% You picked an outlier. At least give the idea credit for making a significant impact. Or don't. 

Just now, elgenon said:

The government would handle everything. So less effort than burning. And easier breathing for the farmers and their kids. They will be paid by receiving the resulting mulch compost.

Have ever you tried harvesting sugar cane?...it is a killer.......Even if you do cut the leaves off you then still have to gather in all the waste and transport it...time, money, effort......they will burn every time.

2 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I never said it would cure burning by 100% You picked an outlier. At least give the idea credit for making a significant impact. Or don't. 

It would have a phenomenal impact... no one doubts it........and no one will do it.

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Have ever you tried harvesting sugar cane?...it is a killer.......Even if you do cut the leaves off you then still have to gather in all the waste and transport it...time, money, effort......they will burn every time.

The machines would simply travel over the fields where the cane waste lays. Anyway, the logistics could be solved. It ain't rocket science. Or a submarine.

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

The machines would simply travel over the fields where the cane waste lays. Anyway, the logistics could be solved. It ain't rocket science. Or a submarine.

What cane waste.  Very little or maybe no cane grown up here.  Where they do grow it, they burn before harvest.  Have to stop them doing that.  They love burning, it's a national past-time.

Just now, elgenon said:

Getting nearer if it is all done free by someone else.........the Government were looking at funding tractors for ploughing waste back into the ground, but that seems to have died a death........one problem is that many farmers will still burn the cane rather than cut off the leaves..........it is easier, even though they get less from the buyers for burnt cane.

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

Would a fleet of government mulchers available to mulch the farmers' sugar cane and other debris be at least a partial solution for the burning in Chiang Mai and other places?

As one TVer pointed out it's cheaper than a submarine and it would provide observable benefits. Seems like a win for politicians.

suggest you extinguish whatever it is you are smoking, and take a cold shower.

• Haha 1

Continuous burning of widespread forest floors is THE problem...the AP has worsen the last 3 weeks and can’t be blamed on rice field burns since there is none...the off season harvest has either occurred or in 1-2 months B/f planing of the new crop in June... 

Hang ‘em and hang ‘em high...

On 4/3/2021 at 11:19 PM, cardinalblue said:

Continuous burning of widespread forest floors is THE problem...the AP has worsen the last 3 weeks and can’t be blamed on rice field burns since there is none...the off season harvest has either occurred or in 1-2 months B/f planing of the new crop in June... 

Hang ‘em and hang ‘em high...

This will help, even if it doesn't it entertaining as hel&

On 4/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, elgenon said:

I'm looking for intelligent input on the subject.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:08 AM, Surelynot said:

no one will do it.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:09 AM, elgenon said:

Well that I agree with.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, elgenon said:

That doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea.

Yes is does.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

This will help, even if it doesn't it entertaining as hel&

Now that's what I'm talking about! Er.. no it isn't 5555 

Holy moly! It's like a giant dinosaur eating its way across the forest. The poor trees don't stand a chance. Give the trees a weapon!

16 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Yes is does.

So you are saying Thailand will implement any good idea? Do you live in Thailand?

In practice no government will implement something just because it is a good idea. Too many conflicting interests.

If you have you to win this discussion, I give up, you win.

I was just hoping to hear from people affected by the burning and see what their take is on the idea. Arguing about if it would get implemented is not relevant to me at this point. Only if those affected think it's a good idea.

If you have something to say that's relevant I would like to hear it.

8 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I was just hoping to hear from people affected by the burning and see what their take is on the idea.

It is not just a Thailand problem - it is a whole SE Asia problem.

Until you can get all countries to agree - and actually implement - anti burning measures, the question is moot.

29 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

It is not just a Thailand problem - it is a whole SE Asia problem.

Until you can get all countries to agree - and actually implement - anti burning measures, the question is moot.

So to do nothing is better?

Interestingly there is a project that started last month whereby leaves that are gathered  can be sold to a, I  believe a gov agency (Not 100% sure), for 2-3 baht a kilo and then they are mulched and resold as fertiliser.

Just a start maybe?

• Like 1