Air conditioner remote turns off the air con unit, but won't turn it on.

Heng

In the queue for the air con service company to get to us, but if anyone has had a similar issue and knows a quick fix....

Saijo Denki, older unit (as in 20 years old), so not one of the fancier control the unit from your phone type units.   The basic remote won't turn on the air con all of a sudden.  I have to pop open the cover on the air con unit to push the manual *on* button (which works).   I can turn it off in the same way, and CAN also turn off the unit with the remote.   The remote however won't turn the air con unit on.  (so the remote and air con unit itself works, but something in the system has decided that it won't allow the remote to turn on the air con unit)

Look if the on button of the remote sends a signal. For this you can use the camera of your phone. Hold the remote so that the sender lamp is shown in the camera and then press the button. You should see the light then. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

The remote turns off the unit but will not turn it on.

If the remote uses a common on/off button read on.

The remote code sent to the unit is the same for both conditions. It is then up to the receiving processor to decide if it should turn on or off.

Conditions to turn on via the remote will be different to those for turn off. The processors might have developed a fault or got lost.

As mentioned already, check remote batteries are good then power cycle the unit AC supply for a few minutes to be sure the processor hasn't got lost.

Hitting the local on off button on the unit is very different to using the remote as it bypasses a lot of remote control decoding at the processor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Hitting the local on off button on the unit is very different to using the remote as it bypasses a lot of remote control decoding at the processor.

Indeed.  We had our Daikin cleaned the other day and they left with the unit running.  My remote showed the normal 25 (they usually turn it to 18 for some reason).  After an hour, it felt colder than 'normal' and I thought well, that was a cleaning needed.  When I checked, the remote was still showing 25 but the thermometer next to it showed 21 and the AC was running full bore (which it almost never does).  I set the remote to 26 and the unit immediately shut down.  Pushed the on/off button 2 times and the AC came back on with just a breath coming out until temp returned to 25.

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

Look if the on button of the remote sends a signal. For this you can use the camera of your phone. Hold the remote so that the sender lamp is shown in the camera and then press the button. You should see the light then. 

Thanks.  I found a youtube video that recommended the same... but again, we are getting a signal for sure as we are able to turn off this unit with the remote.

16 hours ago, Heng said:

older unit (as in 20 years old)

Rather off-topic, but a unit that old would be end-of life.

Maybe time to replace with a new, more efficient, unit. The savings in power could be significant.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Rather off-topic, but a unit that old would be end-of life.

Maybe time to replace with a new, more efficient, unit. The savings in power could be significant.

I hear ya.   I know I've gotten the value out of it.  If it was a car, boat, or plane, I wouldn't have let it age this far (although for those things, I still prefer at least a good 15 years of service too).  ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heng said:

Will try that.  

@Jaimaai   Unfortunately that didn't work, but thanks anyway.   The air guy says they'll stop by today.   I'm thinking 80-20 they'll just say it's time to change the unit.  ????

Edited by Heng