Open bank account (current account) in Rayong, Thailand

Hello everyone

I have been in Thailand since January 2020.
I live now in Rayong Province on a NON-O Volunteer VISA expiring December 2021.

I would like to open a Bank account, current account here on a Thai Bank, ideally Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) or Bangkok Bank.

The purpose would be to then be able receive money from a bank account from Europe to the account in Thailand.  

[Questions]
1. Is that a relatively easy thing to do, opening a bank account in Thailand?
2. Would I have any chance with my VISA type?
3. What documents would I need to provide and how would you suggest me to go about to achieve this?

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it

Edited by matteo73

To open a current or checking account in Thailand is very difficult, unless you own a business or have some other very good reason to need one. A savings account is all you need to transfer money from Europe to Thailand, even that can be a problem, depending which bank you choose and your location!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, matteo73 said:

The purpose would be to then be able receive money from a bank account from Europe to the account in Thailand.  

A savings account serves this purpose. Most foreigners have a savings account (only).

With the account you get an ATM card and you can ask for internet banking access.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

To my knowledge, at least some of the immigration agent, can open for you. Check, call and ask. 

Maybe first try on your own, asking at different banks/branches.

Only if that fails you could use an agent for a fee.

For US citizens it's particularly difficult but seems not to be the case here.

21 hours ago, matteo73 said:

1. Is that a relatively easy thing to do, opening a bank account in Thailand?
2. Would I have any chance with my VISA type?
3. What documents would I need to provide and how would you suggest me to go about to achieve this?

1) from easy to painful

2) yes, Non O is usually sufficient

3) look here:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

This "reference letter" seems to be quite a hurdle from reports here.

At the time I opened accounts there was no such required. So can't help with experience.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I just opened a Bangkok Bank A/c in Blueport Hua Hin. 

I thought my passport which has my non O visa details would be sufficient.  Nope. 

They handed me an immigration form in Thai with no indication of what I needed to do but "go to immigration " I walked next door to the shopfront, only to be directed to main immigration. 

Of I went, to be told I needed a full copy of my passport, 2 photos and proof of residency, which I get with a copy of my wife's blue book and a certified copy of her ID. Back to immigration and 500 baht for this document completed. Back to the bank,and hey presto, just like that, after 3.5 hrs of running around, and another 600 baht for the card, I have my bank account. 

Amazingly simple! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, ICECOOL said:

I just opened a Bangkok Bank A/c in Blueport Hua Hin. 

I thought my passport which has my non O visa details would be sufficient.  Nope. 

They handed me an immigration form in Thai with no indication of what I needed to do but "go to immigration " I walked next door to the shopfront, only to be directed to main immigration. 

Of I went, to be told I needed a full copy of my passport, 2 photos and proof of residency, which I get with a copy of my wife's blue book and a certified copy of her ID. Back to immigration and 500 baht for this document completed. Back to the bank,and hey presto, just like that, after 3.5 hrs of running around, and another 600 baht for the card, I have my bank account. 

Amazingly simple! 

Sounds good.

I went today to a main Bangkok Bank branch here in Rayong
After a little while, they said they need one of the "reference letter" options thing to match.

Here it is point #2 for Foreigners without work permit:
https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

1. I do not think the Italian embassy in Bangkok is going to issue a reference letter for me
    actually I do not think any embassy would do that for a regular citizen
  2. My Banks in Europe sending a SWIFT message to Bangkok Bank, I do not think that's going to happen
  3. maybe this point #3 (bank's customer reference) or more likely an immigration agent would be able to help me with it 

I am on a NON-O VISA permit too.

Is your wife a customer of the Bangkok Bank, then?

Thank you all guys

Edited by matteo73