Best/Recommended VPN for BBC iPlayer

fangless

I used to swear by Cyberghost but recently their services have been going in a steep decline and I am finding them nearly unusable for general use and specifically for BBC iPlayer.

Does anyone have any recommendations, with a bit of back up info if possible, as to better alternatives please.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Complained to Cyberghost and their response was to use "in private browser/incognito" mode.  Have tried it and BBC seems to work for now on edge.  The downside is that I cannot then connect to Thai Visa until I disable it!

On 4/3/2021 at 1:46 AM, fangless said:

Thanks for the responses so far.

Complained to Cyberghost and their response was to use "in private browser/incognito" mode.  Have tried it and BBC seems to work for now on edge.  The downside is that I cannot then connect to Thai Visa until I disable it!

You can run more than one Browser at a time ????

• Like 1

Just now, Bruno123 said:

You can run more than one Browser at a time ????

It is not the browser that is the problem it is that Thai Visa/cloudfare will not let you log on when the VPN is connected to the IP which allows you to connect to the BBC.

Just now, fangless said:

It is not the browser that is the problem it is that Thai Visa/cloudfare will not let you log on when the VPN is connected to the IP which allows you to connect to the BBC.

Aaahhh...so you say it's a particular IP address, rather than VPN in general?

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I use Windscribe, pretty cheap and free trial available forever, but limited for daily usage, give it a whirl, never had any problems in 6 months ????

How do people use a VPN? 

I just signed up for Windscribe, looked pretty good, it has some good features and simple to use - split tunneling by app, that’s pretty cool.

Then I downloaded the iplayer app on my fireTV stick, it didn’t tell me the program wasn’t available, it gave some error message. I tried ITV catchup via Firefox and the same. When using the VPN the firestick slowed to a snails pace, it’s not the best kit in the world, but still.

The only thing I would be interested in would be BBC News at 10.00, and I couldn’t find that available.

Just interested in how people use their VPNs for viewing content .. TV, tablets or laptops? Do you get 1080p streams?

From my point of view, it doesn’t really seem worthwhile, most content is available on the Usenet within minutes of showing, but I can see the point for news and sports, but I couldn’t even find the news. It all seemed a bit time consuming. 

Edited by recom273

19 hours ago, fangless said:

Not sure if I fully understand you, however I use Smart DNS whenever I want to connect to iPlayer or the like, and if I'm just on the computer doing normal things, I don't really worry about it, only ensure that it is activated when I visit the iPlayer website.

I also use Edge for everyday use and when I want to get onto iPlayer, I clear my browser settings in Chrome, then engage Smart DNS and it works.

I will say that occasionally it doesn't work, however I then sign in again and away I go.

19 hours ago, fangless said:

Rubbish. My Express is on UK 100%, 24/7. I am typing this and watching BBC Breakfast at the same time !

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1

I have the iplayer app on my tablet & phone, if I watch any BBC shows I don't have a problem as I'm using one of the UK locations, I also have got windscribe to open ( always on ) option as soon I fire up my phone or tablet. 

I don't have any problems logging onto ThaiVisa either, my VPN is on and I'm replying to you ????

The only reason I got it was because I like to watch some items that are blocked here - a couple of stories on one of the Australian channels for example, and Khaosod English, 

Edited by Golden Triangle
Extra info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Rubbish

What do you mean by saying rubbish? 

If you had read my posts you will see that I have issues with Cyberghost and have given an example of one of the problems which I get on MY system with Cyberghost.  I am pleased that you do not experience the EXACT same symptoms as myself but I suggest I know what my system is doing, you DO NOT.  Please do not state that  my comment is rubbish!

This is the screen (redacted)  I get when I try to connect to Thai Visa from any browser when I have BBCiPlayer connected in in private mode with the Cyberghost VPN connected via the dedicated BBC connection;

vpn.jpg.246fa425442ef09bad1dbcd5ddec46d5.jpg

PS; I am not complaining about TV but about Cyberghost!

Edited by fangless

3 minutes ago, fangless said:

What do you mean by saying rubbish? 

If you had read my posts you will see that I have issues with Cyberghost and have given an example of one of the problems which I get on MY system with Cyberghost.  I am pleased that you do not experience the EXACT same symptoms as myself but I suggest I know what my system is doing, you DO NOT.  Please do not state thy my comment is rubbish!

This is the screen (redacted)  I get when I try to connect to Thai Visa from any browser when I have BBCiPlayer connected in in private mode with the Cyberghost VPN connected via the dedicated BBC connection;

vpn.jpg.246fa425442ef09bad1dbcd5ddec46d5.jpg

Solution. Turn the VPN off when you go onto here, Thai Visa, and back on when you want to watch CBBC!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So do I, Thai Visa AND BBC at the same time.

That is what I would like to do again but cannot with Cyberghost now.  I used to be able in the past but they have admitted in response to my feedback that they have had to change/delete many UK servers hence the problem(s).  This is why I have asked for (constructive) recommendations!  

3 minutes ago, fangless said:

That is what I would like to do again but cannot with Cyberghost now.  I used to be able in the past but they have admitted in response to my feedback that they have had to change/delete many UK servers hence the problem(s).  This is why I have asked for (constructive) recommendations!  

Change to Express ($6 a month) or Nord. 

On 4/3/2021 at 11:45 AM, KannikaP said:

Express works fine for me, and my family in Dubai.

Please note that I posted the OP in a Thai based forum and am therefore  asking about VPN use in Thailand regarding connections to the BBC in the UK.  I do not think that your "experience" in Dubai is in any way relevant to my OP.

42 minutes ago, fangless said:

Please note that I posted the OP in a Thai based forum and am therefore  asking about VPN use in Thailand regarding connections to the BBC in the UK.  I do not think that your "experience" in Dubai is in any way relevant to my OP.

Sorry you misunderstood me. I am living, posting on Thai Visa and watching BBC, ITV, Ch4 & Ch5 here in Thailand. My family use the same VPN account in Dubai. Sorry I mentioned it. 

I was simply trying to help you to multi-task.

Must go, it's time for Popmaster !    LOL

Edited by KannikaP