Windows 10 software updater

I am running Windows 10 home on my Acer AIO computer.

I want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro but every time I try I get windows updater disabled.

I followed the MS fault codes and I can get to the updater through 

control panel/Administrative Tools/Services then select Windows update right click on properties and I can see that the startup type is disabled.

The choices are

Automatic (Delayed start)

Automatic

Manual

Disabled

I have administrators rights and whatever selection I make is fine until I click OK when it reverts back to Disabled and refuses to change to anything else. It shows Service status stopped.

How can I fix this problem?

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

What method, exactly, as you utilising to run the upgrade? Step by step please.

Step 1 Open Windows 10 Update Assistant

Step 2 Do you want to allow this app to make changes to this device?

Step 3 Click on Yes

Step 4 Let the app run

Step 5 Find something to do for the next 4 or 5 hours until it fails and reverts back to the original and undoes all the previous actions.

Luckily we have no dog to kick, the outdoor cat runs and hides when I go MoHo again.

• Haha 1

Might seem a silly question, but do you have a valid product key for Windows 10 Pro?

With regards Windows update, the service should be running and on Automatic (Delayed start).

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Might seem a silly question, but do you have a valid product key for Windows 10 Pro?

With regards Windows update, the service should be running and on Automatic (Delayed start).

I know that the update service should be up and running but my Acer AIO doesn't want to play that game.

Yes I do have a valid product key for Windows 10 Pro. The problem is that Widows updater seems to be permanently disabled no matter what I do to enable it.

THAT is the problem and the crux of the matter. 

If I can fix that problem then I can update Windows which has not been updated since September, and then I can update Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I know that the update service should be up and running but my Acer AIO doesn't want to play that game.

Yes I do have a valid product key for Windows 10 Pro. The problem is that Widows updater seems to be permanently disabled no matter what I do to enable it.

THAT is the problem and the crux of the matter. 

If I can fix that problem then I can update Windows which has not been updated since September, and then I can update Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro.

That's not how it works; but since you cannot see my posts, it seems apt that it prevents me from explaining to you how to make it work.

• Like 1

I'm  no computer technician but the following links might help.

Admittedly, there are many stages to action but it might eventually solve your problems:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-stuck-on-disabled/c6241bc5-005c-43bd-92eb-0d35010f22f8

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-keeps-disabling-itself-automatically#:~:text=This issue of Windows Update,on your Windows 10 computer.

You could always download the windows media creation tool 'Create windows 10 installation media' and this will keep all you personal files and apps.  Always best to back these up just in case.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

As I mentioned, I'm no expert but these actions might help.

Not sure if you've tried the obvious, the windows 10 update troubleshooter.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

That's not how it works; but since you cannot see my posts, it seems apt that it prevents me from explaining to you how to make it work.

I can see, read and reply to your posts plus I always appreciate posts from anybody that knows more than me.

I can usually fix most problems but this one is beyond my normal skill set.

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

Step 1 Open Windows 10 Update Assistant

Step 2 Do you want to allow this app to make changes to this device?

Step 3 Click on Yes

Step 4 Let the app run

Step 5 Find something to do for the next 4 or 5 hours until it fails and reverts back to the original and undoes all the previous actions.

Luckily we have no dog to kick, the outdoor cat runs and hides when I go MoHo again.

Ok, I didn't see your reply.

Do it this way.

Disconnect from the Internet, type Activation Settings in the Search Box and then choose the option produced and then select Change Product Key.

Type in VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Leave it to do it thing. Once rebooted, you will have Windows 10 Pro. Check to see if Windows Update is working.

Will look to see if there is any recent history here on your AIO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Admittedly, there are many stages to action but it might eventually solve your problems:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-stuck-on-disabled/c6241bc5-005c-43bd-92eb-0d35010f22f8

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-keeps-disabling-itself-automatically#:~:text=This issue of Windows Update,on your Windows 10 computer.

You could always download the windows media creation tool 'Create windows 10 installation media' and this will keep all you personal files and apps.  Always best to back these up just in case.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your links.

I have started trying the first link, Run SFC scan and that found no problems. I will slowly run through each item in turn and check the results.

• Like 1

You might want to try this utility. I use it to all of the time.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumgr.html

WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows) enables you to manage Microsoft updates via the Windows Update Agent API.

With all the things that are wrong with Windows 10, the forced updates are in the end one of the most significant issues. This tool is intended to return control over how updates are delivered. Just like how it was in Windows 7/8.1, including the ability to automatically install updates by category, for example, to delay all feature upgrades, i.e., Windows re-installation, or choose to only automatically install updates which do not require a reboot, granting full user control of when his PC will need to reboot.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Ok, I didn't see your reply.

Do it this way.

Disconnect from the Internet, type Activation Settings in the Search Box and then choose the option produced and then select Change Product Key.

Type in VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Leave it to do it thing. Once rebooted, you will have Windows 10 Pro. Check to see if Windows Update is working.

Will look to see if there is any recent history here on your AIO.

Well I tried that with the AIO disconnected and also connected to the internet and both times it wouldn't reboot and load Win 10 pro.

I have just gone back to services/Windows update and it is still disabled.

What a PITA.

Thanks 

Bill

6 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

You might want to try this utility. I use it to all of the time.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumgr.html

WuMgr (Update Manager for Windows) enables you to manage Microsoft updates via the Windows Update Agent API.

With all the things that are wrong with Windows 10, the forced updates are in the end one of the most significant issues. This tool is intended to return control over how updates are delivered. Just like how it was in Windows 7/8.1, including the ability to automatically install updates by category, for example, to delay all feature upgrades, i.e., Windows re-installation, or choose to only automatically install updates which do not require a reboot, granting full user control of when his PC will need to reboot.

Thanks for the link.

I just downloaded and opened the file, right clicked on Update Manager for Windows, clicked run as Administrator.

Response: Widows Update Service not available. Try to start it?

yes/no Click yes and nothing happens.

This is driving me nutso now.

11 hours ago, anchadian said:

Good luck.

I have now tried your second link to the https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-keeps-disabling-itself-automatically#:~:text=This issue of Windows Update,on your Windows 10 computer.

I have gone into that at Windows Update Properties /Local Computer/Dependencies and that comes up as 

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)/DCOM Server Process Launcher/RPC Endpoint Mapper

No dependencies are shown.

Wikipedia tells me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_procedure_call

In distributed computing, a remote procedure call (RPC) is when a computer program causes a procedure (subroutine) to execute in a different address space (commonly on another computer on a shared network), which is coded as if it were a normal (local) procedure call, without the programmer explicitly coding the details for the remote interaction.

https://www.coretechnologies.com/blog/windows-services/dcomlaunch/

What is the DcomLaunch (DCOM Server Process Launcher) service?
The DcomLaunch service implements Microsoft’s Component Object Model (COM) and Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) technologies, which facilitate communication between applications and communication between computers, respectively.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/windows-security/rpc-endpoint-mapper-prevents-users-added-to-trust-forest

This article helps fix an error that occurs when you try to add a user or a group from a trusted forest into a local domain group of a domain in a trusting forest.

Original product version:   Windows Server 2012 R2
Original KB number:   3073942

Enabling RPC Endpoint Mapper client authentication prevents security principals (that is, users and groups from trusted forests) from being added to a local domain group in the trusting forest. For information about other components and operations that are affected by enabling RPC Endpoint Mapper client authentication, see the following ASKDS blog post:
Restrictions for Unauthenticated RPC Clients: The group policy that punches your domain in the face

Now I am truly lost in the jungle.

All I want to do is enable Windows Update, and following these paths through the jungle I am totally and absolutely lost. Where the <deleted> do I go from here???????????????

My brain hurts Mummy.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

At this stage, after attempting all possible solutions, you could do a factory reset using keep my files option.

This will re-install Windows 10 and change all settings back to their defaults.

How to factory reset Windows 10 using keep my files option

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-reset-windows-10-pc-factory-settings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

At this stage, after attempting all possible solutions, you could do a factory reset using keep my files option.

I have no idea where you are digging up these little gems but I sincerely thank you for them and the efforts you are putting in on my behalf.

I think that will be a plan B task for this evening.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Please list them for us all. Thanks.

Windows update is disabled is the problem. No matter what I try I cannot enable it.

21 hours ago, anchadian said:

wrong post. Sorry

Let me know if this has resolved your problem.

I got everything ready about 7:30 pm last night. I shut my computer down

21 hours ago, anchadian said:

I hope plan B works for you.

Let me know if this has resolved your problem.

I got everything ready at about 7:30 pm last might.

I shut the computer down and then restarted it.

Then I found that I had no 3BB internet connection. After doing all of the usual bits I rang the 3BB call centre to find that it was their problem and they were working on a fix for it.

When I went to bed at 10:45 it was still down but it was back this morning.

Plan B now becomes Plan C 24 hours later. (I hope).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I got everything ready at about 7:30 pm last might.

I shut the computer down and then restarted it.

Then I found that I had no 3BB internet connection. After doing all of the usual bits I rang the 3BB call centre to find that it was their problem and they were working on a fix for it.

When I went to bed at 10:45 it was still down but it was back this morning.

Plan B now becomes Plan C 24 hours later. (I hope).

I'm enthralled by this "escapade" as do have the occasional Windows "stuff up" myself..........so awaiting the result with bated breath (seriously). Good luck.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'm enthralled by this "escapade" as do have the occasional Windows "stuff up" myself..........so awaiting the result with bated breath (seriously). Good luck.

I can normally fix most of the Windows problems myself but this one has me baffled. I have used windows since the mid 1990s when Windows 3.1 came as a stack of 3 1/2 disks.

This one is beyond me which is why I am asking for help.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, billd766 said:

OK.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:49 AM, anchadian said:

That link tells me that I need a Windows10 recovery disk or USB.

I KNOW that I have 3 or 4 and I finally found 1 and hopefully I am downloading to it now.

It has been so long since I last did this that I have forgotten what I need to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

That link tells me that I need a Windows10 recovery disk or USB.

I KNOW that I have 3 or 4 and I finally found 1 and hopefully I am downloading to it now.

It has been so long since I last did this that I have forgotten what I need to do.

Yes, creating a windows USB is always the way to go whenever there's a problem. (at least for me!) 2 other TV members have already described the steps so I'll leave it there.

Good luck ????

• Like 1

Was your AIO supplied with Windows 10 Preinstalled? 

Seems like a good time to back up and to run a full clean installation of Windows 10 Pro, as opposed to a repair install.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/55-how-to-use-the-microsoft-windows-10-media-creation-tool-to-correct-boot-issues

What can I do if my computer fails while installing Windows updates or will not boot to Windows?

This article provides information on how to create and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You can use this tool to restore your system if it will not boot to Windows or if it fails to start after installing a Windows update. Symptoms you may experience are:

1. System continually restarts after displaying the Acer splash screen
  2. System boots to a black screen
  3. Windows Updates fail to install

This process requires another PC with internet access, and a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of storage space. The data on the USB flash drive will be erased to create the Windows 10 bootable flash drive.

Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive

1. Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
  2. Click Download Tool Now.
  3. Save the Application.
  4. Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
  7. Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
  8. Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  9. Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
  10. Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
  11. Click Next.

Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

Reloading Windows with the Media Creation Tool:

1. Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
  2. Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
  3. Power on the system and begin tapping the F2 Key to enter the BIOS.
  4. In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.
  5. Use the down arrow to highlight F12 Boot Menu and press Enter.
  6. Highlight Enabled and press Enter.
  7. Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.
  8. As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
  9. Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
  10. Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.
  11. Click Install Now.
  12. Accept the license terms and click Next.
  13. You will be prompted with choices:
    1. Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications. This option should work for most users and should save most personal files. If you attempt this and run into errors, we suggest the next option.
    2. Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) This option allows you to determine the location where you want to install Windows. Using this option will erase all personal data.
    3. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.
  14. During installation do not select the Express option, but opt to decline all options that allow Microsoft to spy on you.
  15. At the end of the installation, download, save and run: https://wpd.app and apply the Disable All radio button.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

If you choose the Custom option you will need to delete ALL partitions before proceeding.

GPT.png.b08d2e5cb56bbdadcc0b007a9b3e3d89.png

to

GPT1.png.def0cd65a445fde6f48fca896ee70b78.png

But back up any important documents and data beforehand, as all will be erased.

Thanks for that. I regularly back up my computer every Friday to my external hard drive,  even if I did it today I would only lose 5 days worth.

I think I will do my back up tonight and concentrate on the pc tomorrow,