Windows 10 software updater

billd766

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Was your AIO supplied with Windows 10 Preinstalled? 

Seems like a good time to back up and to run a full clean installation of Windows 10 Pro, as opposed to a repair install.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/55-how-to-use-the-microsoft-windows-10-media-creation-tool-to-correct-boot-issues

What can I do if my computer fails while installing Windows updates or will not boot to Windows?

This article provides information on how to create and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You can use this tool to restore your system if it will not boot to Windows or if it fails to start after installing a Windows update. Symptoms you may experience are:

1. System continually restarts after displaying the Acer splash screen
  2. System boots to a black screen
  3. Windows Updates fail to install

This process requires another PC with internet access, and a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of storage space. The data on the USB flash drive will be erased to create the Windows 10 bootable flash drive.

Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive

1. Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
  2. Click Download Tool Now.
  3. Save the Application.
  4. Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
  7. Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
  8. Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  9. Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
  10. Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
  11. Click Next.

Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

Reloading Windows with the Media Creation Tool:

1. Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
  2. Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
  3. Power on the system and begin tapping the F2 Key to enter the BIOS.
  4. In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.
  5. Use the down arrow to highlight F12 Boot Menu and press Enter.
  6. Highlight Enabled and press Enter.
  7. Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.
  8. As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
  9. Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
  10. Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.
  11. Click Install Now.
  12. Accept the license terms and click Next.
  13. You will be prompted with choices:
    1. Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications. This option should work for most users and should save most personal files. If you attempt this and run into errors, we suggest the next option.
    2. Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) This option allows you to determine the location where you want to install Windows. Using this option will erase all personal data.
    3. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.
  14. During installation do not select the Express option, but opt to decline all options that allow Microsoft to spy on you.
  15. At the end of the installation, download, save and run: https://wpd.app and apply the Disable All radio button.

Yes it was.

I have called and emailed the shop but the response is predictably "No speak English, use line/Facebook".

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yes it was.

I have called and emailed the shop but the response is predictably "No speak English, use line/Facebook".

Better to keep them out of the equation anyway. Who knows what stupid thing they might do to save a minute or two.

If you do it, you will do it properly and be 100% sure that you software has not been tampered with.

Worth it for the peace of mind.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem trying to upgrade to Win Home 20H2 from 1909.  I was intent to keep my configuration so as not having to redo all my configurations.  It would collapse with a popup that said it failed, with no elaboration.  I figured out where the logs were, and found it failed at the same place every time.  I took steps to accommodate the error, but no go.  This went on for maybe 10 days, it became my hobby.

Then I had a novel idea -- try MS tech support.  Hey, I have a legit copy, factory installed by Asus.  I was in the US, and called daytime, and I believe the call center was in Philippines.  I patiently followed their instructions, same as which I had done upmteen times, and gave them the error message from the logs, same as previous.  Then I was connected with someone higher up the tech chain, and with another guided attempt (resulting in same error) she took my phone number and said she needed to talk to someone even further up the chain.  And indeed I was called back shortly after and told there was something amiss in my already-installed WIn Home, and the only solution was to to install from scratch, using a bootable pen drive (not from within the running installation) .  Not what I wanted to hear, but I did it.  Took a few days to bring things pretty much back to how I want.  A lot less time than the 10 days of trying to second guess the remedy.  I have about eight data partitions on that internal drive but the only one affected was the C drive, along with those other tiny partitions that Win does its business in.

You might consider this if you can find a toll free number or have cheap calling rates.  I was expecting knuckleheaded tech support, but was quite impressed, they even logged in remotely to my system to run the second attempt.  There may be some nomenclatural issues regarding words like update vs upgrade.  

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bendejo said:

I had a similar problem trying to upgrade to Win Home 20H2 from 1909.  I was intent to keep my configuration so as not having to redo all my configurations.  It would collapse with a popup that said it failed, with no elaboration.  I figured out where the logs were, and found it failed at the same place every time.  I took steps to accommodate the error, but no go.  This went on for maybe 10 days, it became my hobby.

Then I had a novel idea -- try MS tech support.  Hey, I have a legit copy, factory installed by Asus.  I was in the US, and called daytime, and I believe the call center was in Philippines.  I patiently followed their instructions, same as which I had done upmteen times, and gave them the error message from the logs, same as previous.  Then I was connected with someone higher up the tech chain, and with another guided attempt (resulting in same error) she took my phone number and said she needed to talk to someone even further up the chain.  And indeed I was called back shortly after and told there was something amiss in my already-installed WIn Home, and the only solution was to to install from scratch, using a bootable pen drive (not from within the running installation) .  Not what I wanted to hear, but I did it.  Took a few days to bring things pretty much back to how I want.  A lot less time than the 10 days of trying to second guess the remedy.  I have about eight data partitions on that internal drive but the only one affected was the C drive, along with those other tiny partitions that Win does its business in.

You might consider this if you can find a toll free number or have cheap calling rates.  I was expecting knuckleheaded tech support, but was quite impressed, they even logged in remotely to my system to run the second attempt.  There may be some nomenclatural issues regarding words like update vs upgrade.  

Good luck.

I agree with what your saying besides a clean install is good sometimes. But i havent done many fresh installs of win10. It just keeps fast and good. But I don't install too much crab like malware killers and virus killers. I just use what comes with windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I agree with what your saying besides a clean install is good sometimes. But i havent done many fresh installs of win10. It just keeps fast and good. But I don't install too much crab like malware killers and virus killers. I just use what comes with windows.

Yeah, when re-configuring my new install I realized I hadn't done this since I bought the machine 6+ years earlier.  I think my record before that was around 1 year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bendejo said:

Yeah, when re-configuring my new install I realized I hadn't done this since I bought the machine 6+ years earlier.  I think my record before that was around 1 year. 

Yes that is one thing for sure before windows 10 i had to do more frequent reinstalls. Almost never again.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:45 AM, bendejo said:

Good luck.

I am getting to that stage now. I tried twice more n Thursday and ended up back at square 1 though I have found 2 more methods that haven't worked.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am getting to that stage now. I tried twice more n Thursday and ended up back at square 1 though I have found 2 more methods that haven't worked.

At least you got a working windows now, if you do decide to reinstall you can first backup a lot of stuff like your bookmarks and maybe email settings who knows. 1 think you might want to look at is lastpass. Its a password vault. Its online and I believe free if its only used on the PC. Since i use that website - program installs go a lot easier as it saves all passwords that are in your browser and puts them in the vault. After a fresh install you log into the vault and all your passwords to websites like Thaivisa are there.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, Bruno123 said:

Seems like a good time to back up and to run a full clean installation of Windows 10 Pro, as opposed to a repair install.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/55-how-to-use-the-microsoft-windows-10-media-creation-tool-to-correct-boot-issues

What can I do if my computer fails while installing Windows updates or will not boot to Windows?

This article provides information on how to create and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You can use this tool to restore your system if it will not boot to Windows or if it fails to start after installing a Windows update. Symptoms you may experience are:

This process requires another PC with internet access, and a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of storage space. The data on the USB flash drive will be erased to create the Windows 10 bootable flash drive.

3. Save the Application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  11. Click Next.

Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

4. In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.
  7. Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.
  8. As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
  9. Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
  11. Click Install Now.
    1. Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications. This option should work for most users and should save most personal files. If you attempt this and run into errors, we suggest the next option.
    2. Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) This option allows you to determine the location where you want to install Windows. Using this option will erase all personal data.
    3. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.
  14. During installation do not select the Express option, but opt to decline all options that allow Microsoft to spy on you.
  15. At the end of the installation, download, save and run: https://wpd.app and apply the Disable All radio button.

I tried your method on Thursday morning but that failed again. 

Thursday afternoon I tried again booting from the memory stick. This time I followed the onscreen instructions and yes, it did download a fresh copy of Windows 10 and then installed just over 70% of the download before it hit the roadblock and put ne all the way back to square 1.

When it finally booted up again I had no internet connection from 3BB so I rang the control centre, the same as Tuesday night.

Yes they were aware of the problem, yes it was much bigger than local to me, yes the techies were working on it. It finally came back during my siesta mid-afternoon on Friday. 

I also joined the MS Community to see if they can help.

I also downloaded this update as it affects my Win 10 v 1909, and all I need to do is to update my pc by downloading this.

If I could only get the updater to work perhaps I wouldn't need to download this update.

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

At least you got a working windows now, if you do decide to reinstall you can first backup a lot of stuff like your bookmarks and maybe email settings who knows. 1 think you might want to look at is lastpass. Its a password vault. Its online and I believe free if its only used on the PC. Since i use that website - program installs go a lot easier as it saves all passwords that are in your browser and puts them in the vault. After a fresh install you log into the vault and all your passwords to websites like Thaivisa are there.

Thanks for the link.

I will download that now while I remember, then look at it later.

59 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thanks for the link.

I will download that now while I remember, then look at it later.

Its web based, not sure its a download. I never downloaded anything for it on my PC (i did on my phone)

Its like you got one website you login to with one password. That saves all the passwords of all your other sites. Only danger is that they will not give you a new password. They don't store it. (safety thing) so when you make your master password you need to really keep that safe. 

Its based on an email address and a password no software on the pc (last time i checked). You need to do it before you reinstall windows.

For me it has countless logins like lazada, gmail, thaivisa, amazon, and many many others. Its a browser extention i believe (so there is a download). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thursday afternoon I tried again booting from the memory stick. This time I followed the onscreen instructions and yes, it did download a fresh copy of Windows 10 and then installed just over 70% of the download before it hit the roadblock and put ne all the way back to square 1.

When it finally booted up again I had no internet connection from 3BB so I rang the control centre, the same as Tuesday night.

Yes they were aware of the problem, yes it was much bigger than local to me, yes the techies were working on it. It finally came back during my siesta mid-afternoon on Friday. 

I also downloaded this update as it affects my Win 10 v 1909, and all I need to do is to update my pc by downloading this.

If I could only get the updater to work perhaps I wouldn't need to download this update.

I have no idea what you are doing, but following my instructions is not one of them.

Perhaps you can highlight all that you have followed and exactly where it failed:

3. Save the Application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  11. Click Next.

11. Click Install Now.
    3. If you choose the Custom option you will need to delete ALL partitions before proceeding.

GPT.png.b08d2e5cb56bbdadcc0b007a9b3e3d89.png

to

GPT1.png.def0cd65a445fde6f48fca896ee70b78.png

But back up any important documents and data beforehand, as all will be erased

4. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

What memory stick? Unclear.

Downloaded a fresh copy? Where? On to the memory stick? Again unclear.

Then you just tried to install over the top again? Try to be clear on exactly what you do.

Roadblock? Please just transcribe the actual words on the screen. rather than making up your own.

What update?

On 4/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, billd766 said:

Well I tried that with the AIO disconnected and also connected to the internet and both times it wouldn't reboot and load Win 10 pro.

I have just gone back to services/Windows update and it is still disabled.

What a PITA.

Thanks 

Bill

Also here. Totally unclear as to what you have done and where it failed.

Perhaps this might help you to let us know at which point it failed: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZnoOxkUxjE

Have you attempted a Repair upgrade?

Before you attempt one; Restore and repair system files. Select the Start  button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt. Choose Command Prompt from the list of results. In the window that pops up, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

What is the exact model of AIO? 

We can also use setupdiag to diagnose why it is failing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag

because it appears that you are somewhat resistant to a clean install.

Though only after you have run through the basic checks: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/quick-fixes

Edited by Bruno123

I have no idea what you are doing, but following my instructions is not one of them.

Perhaps you can highlight all that you have followed and exactly where it failed:

3. Save the Application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  11. Click Next.

11. Click Install Now.
    3. If you choose the Custom option you will need to delete ALL partitions before proceeding.

GPT.png.b08d2e5cb56bbdadcc0b007a9b3e3d89.png

to

GPT1.png.def0cd65a445fde6f48fca896ee70b78.png

But back up any important documents and data beforehand, as all will be erased

4. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.

I started at Create the Windows 10 USB Flash drive. OK.

I rebooted the pc and at Power on, on my pc it says hit the delete key to get to F12 and the Boot manager. OK.

I went across to the Boot manager and selected the memory stick, then to Save and close/

OK

Selected the stick and click on open as administrator and away it went.

OK

I kept an eye on it and it downloaded the program.

OK.

It went to Install and away it went again until about 70+ % when it stopped the install and reverted back to the Win 10 Home Single language. A search took me to the Windows update command and it shows the update is still disabled.

Therefore it would not update or accept any new windows program including a fresh clean version of Windows 10.

After all this I found that I had no 3BB internet connection and after speaking to the call centre, it seems that a large part of the 3BB network had crashed and they were working on it.

It finally came back on line somewhen after 2pm Friday afternoon.

I joined the MS Community yesterday and left a message asking for help.

There is actually a cumulative update on W19 v1909 which is the version that I have. It is however an update to be downloaded, which of course is something that I cannot do. I will now plough through 241 replies and hope that I get an answer.

What memory stick? Unclear.

Downloaded a fresh copy? Where? On to the memory stick? Again unclear.

Then you just tried to install over the top again? Try to be clear on exactly what you do.

Roadblock? Please just transcribe the actual words on the screen. rather than making up your own.

What update?

Bruno it was 48 hours ago I did this.

The memory stick is the item I downloaded the MS windows creation tool onto and that is what I used to start afresh, using that as the boot up.

I am 76 and doing my best to fix my problem. What I don't need is somebody asking me what I saw on my pc screen 2 days ago.

Please don't take this wrongly but I am taking advice from anywhere I can to fix the problem.

I have tried several posters advice and so far I have had no success.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

We can also use setupdiag to diagnose why it is failing.

because it appears that you are somewhat resistant to a clean install.

Though only after you have run through the basic checks: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/quick-fixes

I am NOT resistant to a clean install but I have been working through this for several days now and it is hard work.

I followed a link to find out what .NET I have which has taken me deep into regedit and I don't like being that deep when I don't know what I am doing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

That came from this link,

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

Have you attempted a Repair upgrade?

Before you attempt one; Restore and repair system files. Select the Start  button, then in the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt. Choose Command Prompt from the list of results. In the window that pops up, type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

What is the exact model of AIO? 

Well I did the command prompt and the response on the screen is:

The system has attempted to load or restore a file in the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.

I have tried to highlight and copy the report or do a print screen but the pc will not allow it.

I have gone into System, About and tried again to copy/paste or print screen and it will not do that either.

Device specifications

Device name     DESKTOP-1UD87D

Processor           AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTER CORES 2C+3G  3.10 Ghz

Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.45GB Usable)

Device ID            70BA161F-451F-464D-BB41-84876FB51D13

Product ID          00327-35194-57133-AAOEM

System type      64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Windows specifications

Edition               Windows 10 Home Single Language

Version              1909

Installed on      2/6/2020

OS build            18363.959

I am going to pack up now as I have spent over an hour answering your responses and my evening meal is getting cold.

I will be back tomorrow after lunch.

I started at Create the Windows 10 USB Flash drive. OK.

I rebooted the pc and at Power on, on my pc it says hit the delete key to get to F12 and the Boot manager. OK.

I went across to the Boot manager and selected the memory stick, then to Save and close/

OK

OK

I kept an eye on it and it downloaded the program.

OK.

It went to Install and away it went again until about 70+ % when it stopped the install and reverted back to the Win 10 Home Single language. A search took me to the Windows update command and it shows the update is still disabled.

Therefore it would not update or accept any new windows program including a fresh clean version of Windows 10.

After all this I found that I had no 3BB internet connection and after speaking to the call centre, it seems that a large part of the 3BB network had crashed and they were working on it.

It finally came back on line somewhen after 2pm Friday afternoon.

I joined the MS Community yesterday and left a message asking for help.

There is actually a cumulative update on W19 v1909 which is the version that I have. It is however an update to be downloaded, which of course is something that I cannot do. I will now plough through 241 replies and hope that I get an answer.

OK

You seem to have diverged from the instructions at that point. Not sure how you could have done this as if you booted from the Drive you are not in Windows at all. So not sure as to how you could click on Open as Administrator. You must have gone back in to Windows.

Bruno it was 48 hours ago I did this.

The memory stick is the item I downloaded the MS windows creation tool onto and that is what I used to start afresh, using that as the boot up.

I am 76 and doing my best to fix my problem. What I don't need is somebody asking me what I saw on my pc screen 2 days ago.

Please don't take this wrongly but I am taking advice from anywhere I can to fix the problem.

I have tried several posters advice and so far I have had no success.

This is exactly what needs to be asked. If you don't remember then do it again and describe what you did. No point in getting mad, we are trying to help.

But don't stress yourself out either.

It's just you may need to decide one way or another; fix or a clean install.

I am NOT resistant to a clean install but I have been working through this for several days now and it is hard work.

I followed a link to find out what .NET I have which has taken me deep into regedit and I don't like being that deep when I don't know what I am doing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

That came from this link,

You did not need to do any of that, as the setupdiag page supplies a link to the necessary files; the latest here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net48-offline-installer

So let's simplify everything. First install NET Framework 4.8 and then run setupdiag.

We'll check the output and if no major issues will go on to run a clean install, properly.

It's just got too complicated, with advice coming in from everywhere and not necessarily connected.

Have you ever changed the storage drive within? I am not so sure that model was supplied with 8 GB of RAM. Have any modifications taken place? Cloned to SSD?

14 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You seem to have diverged from the instructions at that point. Not sure how you could have done this as if you booted from the Drive you are not in Windows at all. So not sure as to how you could click on Open as Administrator. You must have gone back in to Windows.

I have always been an administrator on all of my computers going back over 20 years. It is easy to become one.

The last time I made a clean new Windows  install I booted from either the cd drive (this computer does not have one) or from a usb stick and that was about 6 years ago.

14 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

This is exactly what needs to be asked. If you don't remember then do it again and describe what you did. No point in getting mad, we are trying to help.

But don't stress yourself out either.

It's just you may need to decide one way or another; fix or a clean install.

As it happens it does not matter whether I go for a fix or a clean install, as the Windows updater is still disabled, and until that problem is fixed, I cannot upgrade, fix or new install as the pc won't let me do ANY sort of update.

This has been the problem all along and no matter what advice I am given this is the problem that is #1.

I have been working to fix that for over 2 weeks and I have been unable to fix that problem.

13 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You did not need to do any of that, as the setupdiag page supplies a link to the necessary files; the latest here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net48-offline-installer

Does it fix the windows update problem? I shouldn't think so as to do that I need to update and download the files in the first place.

13 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

So let's simplify everything. First install NET Framework 4.8 and then run setupdiag.

We'll check the output and if no major issues will go on to run a clean install, properly.

It's just got too complicated, with advice coming in from everywhere and not necessarily connected.

Have you ever changed the storage drive within? I am not so sure that model was supplied with 8 GB of RAM. Have any modifications taken place? Cloned to SSD?

Since I bought it last year it has not been modified in any way.

The techie set it up in the workshop, delivered it to the house and did the final set up here. The only problem I have had is the one I have now.

Windows Updater is disabled.

Until that is fixed. there is no point in trying anything else.

I have always been an administrator on all of my computers going back over 20 years. It is easy to become one.

The last time I made a clean new Windows  install I booted from either the cd drive (this computer does not have one) or from a usb stick and that was about 6 years ago.

As it happens it does not matter whether I go for a fix or a clean install, as the Windows updater is still disabled, and until that problem is fixed, I cannot upgrade, fix or new install as the pc won't let me do ANY sort of update.

This has been the problem all along and no matter what advice I am given this is the problem that is #1.

I have been working to fix that for over 2 weeks and I have been unable to fix that problem.

Does it fix the windows update problem? I shouldn't think so as to do that I need to update and download the files in the first place.

Since I bought it last year it has not been modified in any way.

The techie set it up in the workshop, delivered it to the house and did the final set up here. The only problem I have had is the one I have now.

Windows Updater is disabled.

Until that is fixed. there is no point in trying anything else.

Which one of us is giving the instructions here?? You are completely wrong. It's just that you made a mistake during the supposedly clean install.

Your installation is corrupt. You have two choices; fix the installation or run a clean install.

You did not run the clean install properly. Instead of booting from the USB drive, you ran  the Windows 10 setup from within Windows; a completely different and erroneous action.

If you do that you will come up against exactly the same 'roadblock' as it is exactly what you did before.

Don't take it as a criticism; it's simply an explanation for what is happening. No reflection on you, as if you knew everything, you wouldn't be here.

Moving briefly on to BS's post, he is suggesting that you do the same thing as I suggested(RestoreHealth), but this time to use the newly created USB Flash installation drive as the source of the repair files, since one ones on your current install are not usable.

Let us know how you get on with that. I'm sure that he can guide you if you need further help with that. I don't want to there to be further confusion, so I will only get involved with my own suggestions.

Personally I don't think that you should bother with trying to fix the Windows Update problem. The reason is this: First you fix it, then you have to change the edition using my instruction to Windows 10 Pro, then you have to update that to the latest version...

It's much easier and quicker to simply clean install the latest version of Windows 10. The problem being that you simply made a mistake during the installation. If you did not, then it should have worked. A clean install is just that. It doesn't matter which files were corrupted on the old install. You wipe EVERYTHING clean and start again. You did not do that.

For instance you know that you did not follow my instruction to delete all partitions before proceeding. In fact, you did not even see that option. So you should have known that you did something wrong. Instead you just glossed over that and assumed that it was the technique/guide that did not work. In this case, it is user error. We need to find out quite why how and why you diverged from the path of clean installation, which you did.

Perhaps you have always been running your clean installs incorrectly. So this we have to correct and then all will be fine.

Once again, no reflection on you. That's why I have to be forensic in my questioning; to understand exactly which steps you took, in order to discover if there has been a misstep. There has with the clean install. You did not boot from the drive. You simply ran it from within Windows. That was the misstep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To be clear, I am not concerned with any software corruption. A properly executed clean install will fix all of that. I am only interested to know if there are any hardware problems with the device. Whether that be plugged in peripherals or a faulty hardware.

The only reason I want to know this, if there is and that stops the clean install, then you won't be able to use the PC until you have fixed that issue.

But it is quite likely that there is no issue and that you can just run the clean install to fix all issues.

But don't gloss over the instructions and then claim they do not work. 

This is where you went wrong

1. As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
  2. Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.

But it didn't did it? You glossed over that.

You went out of that and back into Windows. You didn't mention that at all. I have to deduce it by asking you questions. So don't be offended by any of it. We just need to get this done, so we need to make sure that every step taken is correctly executed.

Open/Run as administrator exists in Windows; so you must have done so with Windows. Not useful if you are trying to erase that version of Windows. Understand? You cannot erase and use it at the same time.

It seems to me that you entered the BIOS Boot Menu if you have the option to Save & Exit and not the F12 Boot Menu/Manager. The reason why I think this is that there isn't a Save & Exit option in the F12 Boot Menu. You simply select the item and it boots from it straight away after confirmation. If you do it in the BIOS Menu you have to Save & Exit to keep that setting.

F12 doesn't have that as it is only a one time setting. So you did something wrong there

But even if you did, it should then boot directly from the USB drive and not back into your old Windows installation.  

So we need to understand why it did not boot directly from the Drive. Perhaps we need to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS or even change to Legacy Boot.

Let's see when you are back online.

If you try loads of other stuff, you will make yourself tired and irritable. It's not your fault, you have been following all of the instructions to the best of your ability. But there is way too much and I think a bit of a waste of time.

Again not a refection on anyone here; everyone is being helpful. There is just too much and it's relatively complicated.

I prefer to keep it simple and to guide all the way through.

Here you can find instructions on how to Initiate Booting from the USB installation media via Windows: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-clean-installation-windows-10 This is an alternative to utilising the Boot Manager. Everything else is the same. You restart the device afterwards and it should Boot directly to the USB drive and not to your computer's storage drive. The installation should begin and you should follow my instructions to delete ALL of the partitions.

DO NOT allow the PC to connect to the Internet throughout the process. 

The reason for this is if you do, their OOBE will force you to log in using a Microsoft account. Most people prefer to use old style Local Account sign in; so if there is no Internet connection their attempt to force you to create a Microsoft account will fail and they will offer the traditional Local Account sign in.

Once you have created the Local Account sign in you can choose to connect to the Internet. Use the WPD application to disable all of their unwanted tracking of your activities.

Edited by Bruno123