Windows 10 software updater

billd766

On 4/11/2021 at 4:38 PM, Bruno123 said:

Which one of us is giving the instructions here?? You are completely wrong. It's just that you made a mistake during the supposedly clean install.

Your installation is corrupt. You have two choices; fix the installation or run a clean install.

You did not run the clean install properly. Instead of booting from the USB drive, you ran  the Windows 10 setup from within Windows; a completely different and erroneous action.

If you do that you will come up against exactly the same 'roadblock' as it is exactly what you did before.

Don't take it as a criticism; it's simply an explanation for what is happening. No reflection on you, as if you knew everything, you wouldn't be here.

Moving briefly on to BS's post, he is suggesting that you do the same thing as I suggested(RestoreHealth), but this time to use the newly created USB Flash installation drive as the source of the repair files, since one ones on your current install are not usable.

Let us know how you get on with that. I'm sure that he can guide you if you need further help with that. I don't want to there to be further confusion, so I will only get involved with my own suggestions.

Personally I don't think that you should bother with trying to fix the Windows Update problem. The reason is this: First you fix it, then you have to change the edition using my instruction to Windows 10 Pro, then you have to update that to the latest version...

It's much easier and quicker to simply clean install the latest version of Windows 10. The problem being that you simply made a mistake during the installation. If you did not, then it should have worked. A clean install is just that. It doesn't matter which files were corrupted on the old install. You wipe EVERYTHING clean and start again. You did not do that.

For instance you know that you did not follow my instruction to delete all partitions before proceeding. In fact, you did not even see that option. So you should have known that you did something wrong. Instead you just glossed over that and assumed that it was the technique/guide that did not work. In this case, it is user error. We need to find out quite why how and why you diverged from the path of clean installation, which you did.

Perhaps you have always been running your clean installs incorrectly. So this we have to correct and then all will be fine.

Once again, no reflection on you. That's why I have to be forensic in my questioning; to understand exactly which steps you took, in order to discover if there has been a misstep. There has with the clean install. You did not boot from the drive. You simply ran it from within Windows. That was the misstep.

What don't you seem to understand when I tell you that the root cause is a Windows updater problem?

Until that problem is fixed no amount of advice or updates will work.

I have just gone through 14 pages of posts from the Microsoft Community and still haven't found the answer.

BTW I DON'T take instructions from anybody nowadays. Useful advise, yes if it works.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

What don't you seem to understand when I tell you that the root cause is a Windows updater problem?

I have just gone through 14 pages of posts from the Microsoft Community and still haven't found the answer.

BTW I DON'T take instructions from anybody nowadays. Useful advise, yes if it works.

I think that someone else has to step in here to tell you that you are wrong. 

I don't question your expertise; don't question mine. I know the issue and I can fix it. The problem unfortunately on this occasion, is you.

If you follow instructions I can fix it. If you don't you will become disillusioned, anxious and angry.

Try trusting me. Go get yourself and cup of tea and relax. Come back to it later when you are more calm.

As I told you; you had too many cooks and you were given waaay to much information.

Go away and calm down, come back to it later and I will fix it for you. The Updater is not the issue and definitely because of your age I will not show any disrespect, as you are doing a good job regardless. But on this occasion, you are wrong and if you want to get it fixed, you will need to follow my instruction exactingly.

If you want to play the independent and to go your own way, you won't know when you are making crucial mistakes.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

There is a possibility that an application such as Stopupdates10 has been installed. 

The issue of updater being disabled should not prevent a fresh installation from the USB.( Assuming it has been created correctly.)

The windows boot manager will be invoked from the USB and not the HDD . Thus the BCD file on the HDD is not read to allow the windows OS to start.

Instead the boot manager hands over to the USB Windows installer.

If the Windows installer is invoked from the HDD windows system.( Not the USB), windows will attempt an upgrade from the iso installer and not perform a fresh install 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another possibility and one that would make it impossible for the OP to accidentally boot from the existing install, is to change the storage drive completely, to the solid state variety(if there is not one already installed).

The there would be no HDD within with a Windows Update problem. Just a blank, much faster and more efficient SSD.

Since you are prepared to do a clean install starting from scratch anyway; it's the perfect time to do it. You'll see an immediate increase in performance and the install will be much easier without the current HDD install in the way.

Not suggesting that you do it yourself, but you can if you want to. You won't have to undo the fan as he has, as you don't need to upgrade the RAM @ 8GB.

500 GB should cover your needs.

https://shopee.co.th/SSD-250GB-500GB-1TB-WD-BLUE-SATA-3D-NAND-Warranty-5---Y-ของใหม่-i.193192374.4236388141

https://shopee.co.th/CRUCIAL-MX500-2.5-SSD-SATAIII-500GB-รับประกัน-5ปี-INGRAM-i.78389675.1984397555

https://shopee.co.th/Samsung-500GB-860-EVO-SATA-6GB-s-2.5-SSD-i.44499173.1080251513

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It would seem one is trying to help and one is adamant of his viewpoint and position.

I think the relevant term here is "agree to disagree".

I spent another hour or so this morning plodding through MS Windows and eliminating possibilities. I still have more to do.

What I did find was this notification from the Windows update manager which I think is very relevant.

To view the status of the Windows Update, go to
1.      Control Panel
2.      Administrative Tools
3.      Services
4.      Scroll down to almost the bottom and select Windows Update
5.      Right click on that and click properties.
6.      This shows the status of Windows Update
7.      If the data says “disabled” the following information can be seen in the dialog box.

Description

Enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. 

If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows Update or its automatic updating feature, and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent. 

This is root cause of my problem. No matter what I do to enable it, as soon as I click Apply then OK, it reverts to the disabled mode.

Once this is cleared I am sure that I can update and upgrade Windows 10 Home.

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I spent another hour or so this morning plodding through MS Windows and eliminating possibilities. I still have more to do.

What I did find was this notification from the Windows update manager which I think is very relevant.

To view the status of the Windows Update, go to
1.      Control Panel
2.      Administrative Tools
3.      Services
4.      Scroll down to almost the bottom and select Windows Update
5.      Right click on that and click properties.
6.      This shows the status of Windows Update
7.      If the data says “disabled” the following information can be seen in the dialog box.

Description

Enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. 

If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows Update or its automatic updating feature, and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent. 

This is root cause of my problem. No matter what I do to enable it, as soon as I click Apply then OK, it reverts to the disabled mode.

Once this is cleared I am sure that I can update and upgrade Windows 10 Home.

Have you tried to perform a clean boot.

Disabling all unecessary services to eliminate any third party applications that may be preventing update configuration.

See this link support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Why in the beginning did you not state that you do not want a clean install.

This would have avoided irritating those who spent time explaining the procedure and almost guaranteed cure to your problem.

If you cant be bothered to properly acknowledge those with solid solutions maybe its best to follow the circular path in silence. 

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Why in the beginning did you not state that you do not want a clean install.

This would have avoided irritating those who spent time explaining the procedure and almost guaranteed cure to your problem.

If you cant be bothered to properly acknowledge those with solid solutions maybe its best to follow the circular path in silence. 

I originally asked for help on my Widows Updater problem which I still have and none of the suggestions so far have addressed that particular problem. 

As for your comment "Why in the beginning did you not state that you do not want a clean install", I never asked about how to do a clean install.

And as for your comment "This would have avoided irritating those who spent time explaining the procedure and almost guaranteed cure to your problem", NONE of the suggestions were/are relevant to fixing my problem and I tried quite a few.

Further to that I do NOT like or wish to be ordered to do this or that by anybody, let alone unknown people on a web site.

Perhaps you should follow some of your own advice, "maybe its best to follow the circular path in silence".

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I originally asked for help on my Widows Updater problem which I still have and none of the suggestions so far have addressed that particular problem. 

As for your comment "Why in the beginning did you not state that you do not want a clean install", I never asked about how to do a clean install.

And as for your comment "This would have avoided irritating those who spent time explaining the procedure and almost guaranteed cure to your problem", NONE of the suggestions were/are relevant to fixing my problem and I tried quite a few.

Further to that I do NOT like or wish to be ordered to do this or that by anybody, let alone unknown people on a web site.

Perhaps you should follow some of your own advice, "maybe its best to follow the circular path in silence".

A clean install would fix the problem. You failed to execute it as instructed.

Take the computer to someone who knows what thy are doing.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Have you tried to perform a clean boot.

Disabling all unecessary services to eliminate any third party applications that may be preventing update configuration.

See this link support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

I tried a couple of days ago and it seemed as though it took the download and started the install but the install stopped around the 70% mark and the pc reverted to its original state.

IE Windows updater is disabled.

Thank you for your advice and I will try that later as it takes 2 or 3 hours.

8 minutes ago, maxpower said:

A clean install would fix the problem. You failed to execute it as instructed.

Take the computer to someone who knows what thy are doing.

And that is your best advice?

You have no idea if it will fix the problem. I have already tried that.

You failed to execute it as instructed.

As I have said before. I do NOT take instructions from unknown sources. I am happy to take advice and it is then up to me how I deal with it.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

On 4/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, billd766 said:

I can see, read and reply to your posts plus I always appreciate posts from anybody that knows more than me.

I can usually fix most problems but this one is beyond my normal skill set.

You seem to have changed your tune somewhat over the past week. 

I told you...you have become anxious and frustrated because of your lack of progress; even obsessed.

But those of us without a dog in the fight can see clearly where you have gone wrong. But you are taking the whole thing personally. Big mistake.

Imagine that I am giving the instructions to a computer and not to you. The computer will carry them out exactly and it will work. The problem arises when you have someones emotions involved.

So now, because you are angry, you have decided that you want to plough forward and solve the problem yourself and only listen to the people who agree with your point of view.

Can't you see the fatal flaw in your plan? It's your emotions. Your PC is not emotional. I describe the things that your PC needs to do; it's not about you. I have to give EXACT instruction and the computer needs to complete those tasks. You are simply the conduit. But if the conduit is faulty, let's say emotional; the task cannot take place.

That is why people are suggesting that you give it to someone who will simply complete the task without grumbling.

A clean install will work 100%; you just made a small mistake along the way but refuse to acknowledge it. Why? Do you hate the messenger?

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And that is your best advice?

You failed to execute it as instructed.

As I have said before. I do NOT take instructions from unknown sources. I am happy to take advice and it is then up to me how I deal with it.

They do and you haven't. You made a mistake in the process and simply attempted an UPGRADE install.

If you have attempted a CLEAN install and it got to 70% you would have no OS at all. 

I think you are confused about the word 'instructed'. We give computers "instructions". That is the term. That is why I ask you to use the terms that the PC uses; so I can understand exactly the problem.

For you the word "instruction" has another connotation and because of the connotation in your mind, you have decided to become obstructive.

Same as the word "execute". Another term used in computing, but can have a negative connotation in your mind.

But no, these are just terms. take away the emotion and think like a computer; step by step.

It's really just in your mind. Everyone here is trying to help you; but you think that you know it better than us.

A clean install will remove the problem; 100%. But you need to run a clean install; you didn't.

Edited by Bruno123

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I tried a couple of days ago and it seemed as though it took the download and started the install but the install stopped around the 70% mark and the pc reverted to its original state.

A Clean Boot is not a Clean install.

Clean install twenty minutes. According to you, you have been at it for two weeks.

Why don't you give yourself a break and let us all here troubleshoot you with the clean install. You can pick the member who you like the most and they will happily guide you through it.

I am affiliated with no one on this thread, but at least two other people have confirmed to you that you made a mistake in your attempt to run a clean install.

Is it so hard to just go back and try it again with some help or has your stubborness kicked in to the extent that you are perfectly willing to bite off your nose in order to spite your face.

We can fix it, easily.

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Apologies I may have misunderstood.

A clean boot is not a fresh install or upgrade, and should only take 5 to 10 minutes.

It is basically like booting into safe mode. 

Only essential Microsoft services are enabled with other start up services disabled.

With the OS in this state you should be able to determine if the problem lies with a third party application or the OS itself.

If you change the update mode in a clean boot environment then the OS is good and the problem is a third party application.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

A clean install will fix it; you didn't run a clean install.

If you did not delete the partitions BEFORE the install even began, you did not run a clean install.

With a clean install, the disk is formatted. Did you format the disk? We know that you did not.

More importantly, you needed to delete all of the existing partitions. Did you do that? We know that you did not.

So you did not run a clean install.

windows10-clean-install-setup-wizard_202

windows-10-setup-install-now-option_.jpg

dont-have-product-key-windows-10-setup_.

windows-10-clean-install-select-version-

windows-10-clean-install-option-setup_cu

windows-10-clean-install-delete-partitio

Delete ALL partitions one by one. Until:

clean-install-windows10-step.jpg

Only then can you click Next to actually begin the Install. You did not do any of this because you mistakenly ran the installation media via your current Windows install.

A clean install should be run outside Windows. You are simply not clear about the difference of the terms; Run, Download, Install and Boot.

So you think you are Booting from the USB drive when in fact you are simply Running it from within Windows.

lets make another try:

run command line (press Win+R, write

cmd

, press Enter)

there write

sfc /scannow

and press Enter

EDIT: i've just found out that Windows 10 requires running a separate tool first, prior to "sfc /scannow", follow this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Edited by fdsa

1 hour ago, Spellforce said:

Let him give a try and reinstall Avast if it doesn't work.

That's better than format/reinstall Windows 10.

Why is it better? You think, repair, change edition and upgrade is better than simply a quick and efficient clean install? 

If that's a priviledge issue caused by his antivirus and windows 10 priviledges (= windows defender), then the OP should try to:

1 - Uninstall his 3rd party anti-virus & reboot

2 - Desactivate Windows Defender and tell the OP how to do it because that was possible years ago but not today !

Edited by onthedarkside
reply to hidden comment removed

1 hour ago, Spellforce said:

If that's a priviledge issue caused by his antivirus and windows 10 priviledges (= windows defender), then the OP should try to:

1 - Uninstall his 3rd party anti-virus & reboot

2 - Desactivate Windows Defender and tell the OP how to do it because that was possible years ago but not today !

You still haven't explained why he would need to Desactivate Windows Defender in the first place.

You use vague terms such as Windows Defender being a mess. You tell lies about Microsoft approving the program when they did nothing of the sort.

If I was a hacker and pointed it vulnerabilities in their software then I would be on the exact same list. That has nothing to do with their 'antivirus' product.

Your explanations make no sense at all. No one here has had problems with Windows Defender. So explain the mess in technical terms; I will understand.

@Bruno123

OK I found that tool and I tested, it works. You can manually unactivate Windows Defender with this tool:

https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v1-7/

Then the OP should try to:

1 - Uninstall his 3rd party anti-virus and reboot = Windows Defender will be reactivated.

2 - Run that tool to unactivate WD:

https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v1-7/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You still haven't explained why he would need to Desactivate Windows Defender in the first place.

Because I and my friends we had MANY issues in 2020-21 with the last Windows 10 & Windows Defender updates. Especially about priviledges. And if the OP can not run one service, guess what...

• Like 1

@Bruno123

Do an easy test:

- login as admin

- find a folder "read only"

- unflag "read only" and recheck if it's unflaged (even if previously you didn't have any message): if it's still "read only", then you too you have priviledge issues. In 2019 that would have never happened.

PS: It's like the OP that set a service to run automaticaly, no message and windows doesn't save its new setting.

• Like 1