Windows 10 software updater

billd766

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your hardware configuration? 
Computer - make/model:
CPU make/model:
Amount of memory (GB):
Hard drive make/model: 

It appears that you are determined to derail this thread; one way or another.

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Computer - make/model:
CPU make/model:
Amount of memory (GB):
Hard drive make/model: 

Intel i5-4440 at  3.1 GHz, Asus MB, 8 GB RAM (Corsair), 2 x Corsiar SSDs, 128 for Windows, 256 for Data plus 1TB of One Drive,  NVIDIA GT740 for main 28 inch Samsung 4K display, on-board for 2nd Samsung 24 1080, Soundblaster ZXR card, 3BB 1Gb/s internet. Fractal tower case. Windows 10 Pro. fully updated.

All put together 6 years ago. Used for music production on Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

What is it that you think is different in the OP running a clean install on his ACER that is different from any other ACER?

Nothing different, they are all s..t!   LOL  555

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, robblok said:

True, but if it happens on many PC's (were topics about large groups of PC's not being able to update or getting faults) then its a Microsoft problem. But its hard for Microsoft unlike apple there is so much variation in hardware. 

People forget or are unaware that Microsoft gets the blame for everything their fault or not. Software and hardware vendors have a long history of not following the rules. Updates often dig up deep rooted bugs which are not always in the operating code. 

Most of my embedded development tools run under Linux out of convenience and some personal choice, but not because its so much better than under Windows. Linux can be a time consuming pain for setup procedures.

Some vendor tools are only available for Windows. 

For me Windows 7-10 has been very stable even under extreme multi tasking through several ports. Sometimes the heavy integration of Windows and limited ability to tweak can be advantageous. 

Finally, there's nothing worse than a Linux fanboy who never quite got over his first Sudo command.

As for the OP, being cruel to be kind was my approach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

Computer - make/model:
CPU make/model:
Amount of memory (GB):
Hard drive make/model: 

59 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

It appears that you are determined to derail this thread; one way or another.

Actually I'm not Bruno123.  I'm trying to understand why some people running Windows 10 have no issues with performance.  In other word, I want to compare my hardware with a person who is not having performance issued.  Like the info supplied below.

55 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Intel i5-4440 at  3.1 GHz, Asus MB, 8 GB RAM (Corsair), 2 x Corsiar SSDs, 128 for Windows, 256 for Data plus 1TB of One Drive,  NVIDIA GT740 for main 28 inch Samsung 4K display, on-board for 2nd Samsung 24 1080, Soundblaster ZXR card, 3BB 1Gb/s internet. Fractal tower case. Windows 10 Pro. fully updated.

All put together 6 years ago. Used for music production on Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Thanks much of the info.  ????

Edited by connda

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Running a clean install is the same all over. I was referring to your repair options. I have been on the phone with software suppliers countless times. They also always say do you see this on your screen then this. But there was quite a number of time when my system did not respond the way they wanted. That is what I am trying to say. Even with teamviewer they were at times confused and had to engage an other expert. (i run a lot of paid software as i use my computer for work) so some of it fails at times and then you go to support. They like you have certain instructions unfortunately it does not always work this way.

You can have all those steps and tools but you just assume it goes like the instruction. So did the software people i had on the phone. Often it worked this way but not always. That was my point you can't be exactly sure what is happening unless your there.

And yes Bild then should be able to say where it goes wrong.

And for a clean install it goes the same for everyone always its the easiest option. 

Repair options I didn't write. I have no control over that and I don't recommend that path anyway.

My recommendation is for a clean install, as it also serves the purpose of getting rid of any 'unknown and unstated issues'. Then we know that the OP has a clean slate.

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Repair options I didn't write. I have no control over that and I don't recommend that path anyway.

My recommendation is for a clean install, as it also serves the purpose of getting rid of any 'unknown and unstated issues'. Then we know that the OP has a clean slate.

I remember seeing you recommend some repair options. Maybe later you like me said do a clean install. A clean install is easy almost anyone can do it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

I remember seeing you recommend some repair options. Maybe later you like me said do a clean install. A clean install is easy almost anyone can do it. 

Nope. My very first post was for a clean install:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1212424-windows-10-software-updater/?do=findComment&comment=16370964

There were no posts of yours to be seen at that point.

What you remember has no basis in reality. If I posted something else afterwards it was because I felt that he did not want to run a clean install.

Edited by Bruno123

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

My mistake, i read back was someone else. You put effort in the creation of an USB stick that could install windows. And everyone should be able to install windows once they have one of those. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

My mistake, i read back was someone else. You put effort in the creation of an USB stick that could install windows. And everyone should be able to install windows once they have one of those. 

I not only put effort in the creation of the installation media, but also how to install on an ACER. Later, I refined the instructions, but all to no avail. The OP instead just attempted an upgrade or repair install.

If everyone just supported me in telling the OP that he ran the clean install erroneously, instead of bombarding him with Linux or other useless or over-complicated solutions, it would have been sorted.

But everyone has their own agenda here. 

Edited by Bruno123

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

@connda

My system is (relatively) new.. so cant compare. 

I'm running a mid-range 3 year old Acer.  I'm trying to understand the hardware needed to run Win10 without performance issues.
My system has a SATA drive and 4 GB memory but - it also has and Win10 logo on the computer.  You'd think it would perform better?
I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade the memory to 8 GB and install a SSD drive.  Considering I'm going to clean Win10 install after I finish my taxes, I'll probably upgrade the hardware before I go down that path.   Hence the desire to compare systems. 

10 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm running a mid-range 3 year old Acer.  I'm trying to understand the hardware needed to run Win10 without performance issues.
My system has a SATA drive and 4 GB memory but - it also has and Win10 logo on the computer.  You'd think it would perform better?
I'm thinking I'll need to upgrade the memory to 8 GB and install a SSD drive.  Considering I'm going to clean Win10 install after I finish my taxes, I'll probably upgrade the hardware before I go down that path.   Hence the desire to compare systems. 

My ACER is more than ten years old and running the latest version of Windows 10 with no issue. No need to compare specs.

Fit the SSD and it will run fine. Up the RAM to 8 GB and it will run a tiny bit better. I don't even need to know the processor inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

My ACER is more than ten years old and running the latest version of Windows 10 with no issue. No need to compare specs.

Fit the SSD and it will run fine. Up the RAM to 8 GB and it will run a tiny bit better. I don't even need to know the processor inside.

IMHO SSD's are one of the best upgrades one can get for any computer that does not have one already (if compatible)

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

IMHO SSD's are one of the best upgrades one can get for any computer that does not have one already (if compatible)

and relatively inexpensive. Definitely worth paying a bit more for SSD with DRAM. i.e Crucial MX500, Samsung EVO 860...

I don't always, but I'm a cheapskate sometimes. ????

31 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I not only put effort in the creation of the installation media, but also how to install on an ACER. Later, I refined the instructions, but all to no avail. The OP instead just attempted an upgrade or repair install.

If everyone just supported me in telling the OP that he ran the clean install erroneously, instead of bombarding him with Linux or other useless or over-complicated solutions, it would have been sorted.

But everyone has their own agenda here. 

Whilst I agree that a fresh install will be required to go from a Windows 10 home to a Windows 10 pro. 

They are both seperate base units and can only be virtualized into editions that each support, eg single language and enterprise or education editions. It is not possible to change a home base unit into a pro base unit.

The OP was insistent that the update problem needed resolving first. 

Posters can only advise and it is up to the OP if they accept to follow such advice.

The thread has now become derailled .

If the OP wishes to resolve the update problem they firstly need to identify if it is the OS or a third party problem.

Scanning and poking around the registry and files achieves nothing if an application is blocking the updates.

Just now, cleopatra2 said:

Whilst I agree that a fresh install will be required to go from a Windows 10 home to a Windows 10 pro. 

They are both seperate base units and can only be virtualized into editions that each support, eg single language and enterprise or education editions. It is not possible to change a home base unit into a pro base unit.

The OP was insistent that the update problem needed resolving first. 

Posters can only advise and it is up to the OP if they accept to follow such advice.

The thread has now become derailled .

If the OP wishes to resolve the update problem they firstly need to identify if it is the OS or a third party problem.

Scanning and poking around the registry and files achieves nothing if an application is blocking the updates.

Actually that is not true. You can easily go from one edition to another without a fresh install.

But the OP has another problem, so a clean install is the sure and quickest way to move forward.

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Actually that is not true. You can easily go from one edition to another without a fresh install.

But the OP has another problem, so a clean install is the sure and quickest way to move forward.

You can go from separate editions but cannot go from separate base units.

E.g can go from Home enterprise to home education. However you cannot go from home enterprise to pro enterprise 

I think Microsoft made the change in 2018, but not sure 

18 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

The upgrade method from home to pro simply downloads the pro iso and does an HDD installation upgrade. 

22 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

You can go from separate editions but cannot go from separate base units.

E.g can go from Home enterprise to home education. However you cannot go from home enterprise to pro enterprise 

I think Microsoft made the change in 2018, but not sure 

You are mistaken.

22 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The upgrade method from home to pro simply downloads the pro iso and does an HDD installation upgrade. 

Nope. Wrong again. If that were the case, they why does it work without being connected to the Internet?

You can move from the Home(including Single Language) SKU to the Pro SKU by simply entering the generic Pro key. You don't even need to be connected to the Internet for it to work. You only need to be connected to the Internet for when you want to activate the OS.

58 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Is this section from support now out of date

If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, you'll see one of two messages when you select Go to Microsoft Store:

• If you see Install, select the button to install Windows 10 Pro.

• If you see Buy, you may need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license. Or, try to sign in to Microsoft Store with the Microsoft account that was used to purchase the Pro license. Then, follow the instructions to install Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-windows-10-pro-ef34d520-e73f-3198-c525-d1a218cc2818

22 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Is this section from support now out of date

If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, you'll see one of two messages when you select Go to Microsoft Store:

• If you see Install, select the button to install Windows 10 Pro.

• If you see Buy, you may need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license. Or, try to sign in to Microsoft Store with the Microsoft account that was used to purchase the Pro license. Then, follow the instructions to install Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-windows-10-pro-ef34d520-e73f-3198-c525-d1a218cc2818

No that's a completely different way of upgrading. 

Who buys their licence from the Microsoft Store? You? Too expensive ????

You could say that the generic key thing is for those 'in the know', whilst the other method is for those who do as they are told without thinking.

Edited by Bruno123

On 4/4/2021 at 11:57 AM, Eindhoven said:

Ok, I didn't see your reply.

Do it this way.

Disconnect from the Internet, type Activation Settings in the Search Box and then choose the option produced and then select Change Product Key.

Type in VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Leave it to do it thing. Once rebooted, you will have Windows 10 Pro. Check to see if Windows Update is working.

Will look to see if there is any recent history here on your AIO.

I tried your way this morning for about 30 minutes and whilst it accepted the product key it wouldn't update the system whether it as connected to the internet or not.

Sorry but I tried. Thank you for your advice.

I spent about 5 hours this week copy/pasting the whole thread. The reason was so that I can have a hard copy to scribble notes on.

Then I went on to Bruno123 here.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, Bruno123 said:

Was your AIO supplied with Windows 10 Preinstalled? 

Seems like a good time to back up and to run a full clean installation of Windows 10 Pro, as opposed to a repair install.

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/55-how-to-use-the-microsoft-windows-10-media-creation-tool-to-correct-boot-issues

What can I do if my computer fails while installing Windows updates or will not boot to Windows?

This article provides information on how to create and use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You can use this tool to restore your system if it will not boot to Windows or if it fails to start after installing a Windows update. Symptoms you may experience are:

1. System continually restarts after displaying the Acer splash screen
  2. System boots to a black screen
  3. Windows Updates fail to install

This process requires another PC with internet access, and a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of storage space. The data on the USB flash drive will be erased to create the Windows 10 bootable flash drive.

Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive

1. Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
  2. Click Download Tool Now.
  3. Save the Application.
  4. Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
  5. Run the Application.
  6. Accept the EULA
  7. Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
  8. Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    1. Language (Country)
    2. Windows 10
    3. 64-bit (x64)
  9. Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
  10. Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
  11. Click Next.

Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

Reloading Windows with the Media Creation Tool:

1. Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
  2. Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
  3. Power on the system and begin tapping the F2 Key to enter the BIOS.
  4. In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.
  5. Use the down arrow to highlight F12 Boot Menu and press Enter.
  6. Highlight Enabled and press Enter.
  7. Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.
  8. As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
  9. Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
  10. Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.
  11. Click Install Now.
  12. Accept the license terms and click Next.
  13. You will be prompted with choices:
    1. Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings and applications. This option should work for most users and should save most personal files. If you attempt this and run into errors, we suggest the next option.
    2. Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) This option allows you to determine the location where you want to install Windows. Using this option will erase all personal data.
    3. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.
  14. During installation do not select the Express option, but opt to decline all options that allow Microsoft to spy on you.
  15. At the end of the installation, download, save and run: https://wpd.app and apply the Disable All radio button.

I started about 11:15 and the first 4 attempts failed.

What you say here, 

quote "Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive
Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
Click Download Tool Now.
Save the Application.
Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
Run the Application.
Accept the EULA
Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
Language (Country)
Windows 10
64-bit (x64)
Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
Click Next.
Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive."

doesn't happen on my pc. To enter the BIOS I have to use the delete key which is the reason for the previous failed attempts.

However I got the media creation tool loaded to the memory stick OK.

I started this off at 12:30 and it downloaded the update 100%

it verified the download 100%

it installed the download 100%

It finally finished at 16:10 and went into the reboot mode to finalise the download and got to 22% before it failed at 16:50 and then reverted back to the original Windows 10 Home Single language edition and the Windows Update was still stuck on disabled as it has been for a long time.

Remember I am taking the information that I see on the screen of my pc, scribbling notes and then coming on line to tell you what I saw and what happened.

Sorry but I tried for the best part of 4 1/2 hours. I thought that it had worked this time. 

Thank you for your advice.

On 4/2/2021 at 7:47 PM, billd766 said:

I have administrators rights and whatever selection I make is fine until I click OK when it reverts back to Disabled and refuses to change to anything else. It shows Service status stopped.

How can I fix this problem?

You could attempt to change Windows Update service to automatic start by editing the Registry. You can ignore this post if you're not familiar with editing the Registry.

The registry value that determines the start type for Windows Update Service (wuauserv.exe) is located here:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\Start

REG_DWORD value for automatic start = 2
Disabled = 4

Your current value for Start is probably 4 (disabled). Change it to 2 then go and open the Services window and check the startup type for Windows Update. If the Services window was already open you'll need to refresh it. If the value won't change there may be some third party program or remnants of one that is blocking you from changing the startup type to automatic.

• Like 1