Windows 10 software updater

billd766

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

I tried your way this morning for about 30 minutes and whilst it accepted the product key it wouldn't update the system whether it as connected to the internet or not.

Sorry but I tried. Thank you for your advice.

I spent about 5 hours this week copy/pasting the whole thread. The reason was so that I can have a hard copy to scribble notes on.

Then I went on to Bruno123 here.

I started about 11:15 and the first 4 attempts failed.

What you say here, 

quote "Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive
Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
Click Download Tool Now.
Save the Application.
Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
Run the Application.
Accept the EULA
Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
Language (Country)
Windows 10
64-bit (x64)
Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
Click Next.
Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive."

doesn't happen on my pc. To enter the BIOS I have to use the delete key which is the reason for the previous failed attempts.

However I got the media creation tool loaded to the memory stick OK.

I started this off at 12:30 and it downloaded the update 100%

it verified the download 100%

it installed the download 100%

It finally finished at 16:10 and went into the reboot mode to finalise the download and got to 22% before it failed at 16:50 and then reverted back to the original Windows 10 Home Single language edition and the Windows Update was still stuck on disabled as it has been for a long time.

Remember I am taking the information that I see on the screen of my pc, scribbling notes and then coming on line to tell you what I saw and what happened.

Sorry but I tried for the best part of 4 1/2 hours. I thought that it had worked this time. 

Thank you for your advice.

Ok...Bill....you cannot simply skip the parts that don't work and carry on regardless. It is just a waste of your time.

If something doesn't work, STOP and ask why at that point.

This is why you keep failing. Something doesn't work, but you simply ignore it, carry and and when the thing inevitably fails, you have wasted hours for nothing because you are simply too proud to stop to ask. That is not an intelligent way.

As I told you once before, step by step. If ANY step does not work, STOP at that point.  Don't just ignore it, as each step is crucial.

It is not the method that is failing, it is you deciding that crucial step is no longer important, as you did not see that option as you went along.

Once again, you DID NOT delete the partitions nor format the drive. You completely skipped over that and just spent four and a half hours making EXACTLY the same mistakes that you did before.

You CANNOT skip over and ignore. It isn't failing, you are.

No one loads the Media Creation Tool onto the memory stick. So either that is a mis-description or you have done something quite wrong. The Media Creation Tool is downloaded to and run from the PC.

quote "Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive
Visit the  Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
Click Download Tool Now.
Save the Application.
Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
Run the Application.
Accept the EULA
Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
Language (Country)
Windows 10
64-bit (x64)
Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
Click Next.
Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive."

doesn't happen on my pc. To enter the BIOS I have to use the delete key which is the reason for the previous failed attempts.

The part that I have put in Bold; it doesn't make any sense. There is no instruction to enter the BIOS in those instructions. But yet you are claiming that something doesn't work because you could not enter the BIOS.

Moving on from that for a moment; you claim to have created the installation media successfully.

But then there are absolutely no details of how you used that to install Windows 10. You once again completely glossed over that part. You didn't Boot from the USB Flash drive yet again.

You simply decide to ignore that part and just make exactly the same mistakes that you have been making for the past weeks.

How can we get you to complete each step, as opposed to simply glossing over them?

I gave you TWO options for how to BOOT from the USB Flash installation drive; one via F12 and the other via Windows 10 UEFI settings. Did you use either of those methods? What was the result?

You cannot just skip over it saying that it doesn't work. It means that you have not completed an essential task. In this case, you are not Booting from the USB Flash installation drive. This is what you are failing to understand and to execute. You are simply running the install from within the existing Windows installation. That will fail every time. So you wasted time doing that, instead of simply asking why it failed the first time.

It is failing because you are failing to complete the steps. The Windows Update thing has nothing to do with it. It is failing because you simply are failing to follow the sequence. You just allow it to take the wrong lane; so you end up in the wrong place, time and again.

You MUST delete the partitions. If you do not see those screens before you begin the install, you have already gone wrong.  I cannot understand why you cannot grasp that simple fact.

You know that you don't see it, but you allow the install to go ahead anyway, in the hope that it might work.  Then, of course, it fails.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KeeTua said:

You could attempt to change Windows Update service to automatic start by editing the Registry. You can ignore this post if you're not familiar with editing the Registry.

The registry value that determines the start type for Windows Update Service (wuauserv.exe) is located here:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\Start

REG_DWORD value for automatic start = 2
Disabled = 4

Your current value for Start is probably 4 (disabled). Change it to 2 then go and open the Services window and check the startup type for Windows Update. If the Services window was already open you'll need to refresh it. If the value won't change there may be some third party program or remnants of one that is blocking you from changing the startup type to automatic.

Thank you for that tip. I will try it later today or tomorrow.

Reloading Windows with the Media Creation Tool:

1. Press and hold the Power key for five seconds to turn off your computer.
  2. Plug in the USB Drive that contains the Media Creation Tool files.
  3. Power on the system and begin tapping the Del to enter the BIOS.
  4. In the BIOS, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main menu item at the top.
  5. Use the down arrow to highlight F12 Boot Menu and press Enter.
  6. Highlight Enabled and press Enter.
  7. Press the F10 key and press Enter to save the changes and exit. The system will reboot immediately.
  8. As soon as the system begins rebooting, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the Boot Manager.
  9. Select the USB Flash Drive and press Enter. The Windows Setup environment will launch.
  10. Select your Language, Time and Keyboard, then click Next.
  11. Click Install Now.
  12. Accept the license terms and click Next.
  13. You will be prompted with choices:
    1. Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) This option allows you to determine the location where you want to install Windows. Using this option will erase all personal data.
    2. During installation do not connect to the Internet. If you do so, you will be forced to login in with a Microsoft account or PIN. If you do not allow the PC to connect to the Internet, then Microsoft will be obliged to offer you the usual Local account login option.
  14. During installation do not select the Express option, but opt to decline all options that allow Microsoft to spy on you.
  15. At the end of the installation, download, save and run: https://wpd.app and apply the Disable All radio button.

So let us begin from there. Step by step and then stop if something isn't right. That way we all know when part of the guide does not match with your device.

S

11 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Ok...Bill....you cannot simply skip the parts that don't work and carry on regardless. It is just a waste of your time.

If something doesn't work, STOP and ask why at that point.

This is why you keep failing. Something doesn't work, but you simply ignore it, carry and and when the thing inevitably fails, you have wasted hours for nothing because you are simply too proud to stop to ask. That is not an intelligent way.

As I told you once before, step by step. If ANY step does not work, STOP at that point.  Don't just ignore it, as each step is crucial.

It is not the method that is failing, it is you deciding that crucial step is no longer important, as you did not see that option as you went along.

Once again, you DID NOT delete the partitions nor format the drive. You completely skipped over that and just spent four and a half hours making EXACTLY the same mistakes that you did before.

You CANNOT skip over and ignore. It isn't failing, you are.

No one loads the Media Creation Tool onto the memory stick. So either that is a mis-description or you have done something quite wrong. The Media Creation Tool is downloaded to and run from the PC.

The part that I have put in Bold; it doesn't make any sense. There is no instruction to enter the BIOS in those instructions. But yet you are claiming that something doesn't work because you could not enter the BIOS.

Moving on from that for a moment; you claim to have created the installation media successfully.

But then there are absolutely no details of how you used that to install Windows 10. You once again completely glossed over that part. You didn't Boot from the USB Flash drive yet again.

You simply decide to ignore that part and just make exactly the same mistakes that you have been making for the past weeks.

How can we get you to complete each step, as opposed to simply glossing over them?

I gave you TWO options for how to BOOT from the USB Flash installation drive; one via F12 and the other via Windows 10 UEFI settings. Did you use either of those methods? What was the result?

You cannot just skip over it saying that it doesn't work. It means that you have not completed an essential task. In this case, you are not Booting from the USB Flash installation drive. This is what you are failing to understand and to execute. You are simply running the install from within the existing Windows installation. That will fail every time. So you wasted time doing that, instead of simply asking why it failed the first time.

It is failing because you are failing to complete the steps. The Windows Update thing has nothing to do with it. It is failing because you simply are failing to follow the sequence. You just allow it to take the wrong lane; so you end up in the wrong place, time and again.

You MUST delete the partitions. If you do not see those screens before you begin the install, you have already gone wrong.  I cannot understand why you cannot grasp that simple fact.

You know that you don't see it, but you allow the install to go ahead anyway, in the hope that it might work.  Then, of course, it fails.

Bruno. I am the one doing the work, and your suggestion which I have tried several times, simply doesn't work for me on this pc.

Please cease and desist responding that it is MY fault for not following YOUR instructions.

As I have said before, YOUR method does not work for me and I will NOT be trying it again.

I have followed other suggestions and they did not work either, so I moved on and tried something else.

53 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Please cease and desist responding that it is MY fault for not following YOUR instructions.

Sorry, but your own descriptions of what is happening prove that to be the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Bruno. I am the one doing the work, and your suggestion which I have tried several times, simply doesn't work for me on this pc.

As I have said before, YOUR method does not work for me and I will NOT be trying it again.

I have followed other suggestions and they did not work either, so I moved on and tried something else.

Yes, you are the one doing it wrongly. So you need to refer back to us when a particular STEP does not work. But you just ignore it when a step does not work for you and then carry on regardless.

You have to STOP when a step does not work and find out why that particular step did not work; not just ignore and do whatever you want. Understood?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Bill, a clean install will work; no doubt. The problem is that you do not know how to run a clean install.

Everyone can see, by your descriptions that you are not following the path of a clean install. We can see that you are continually running upgrade installs.

You completely ignore my questions about whether you deleted the partitions because you did not delete the partitions.

Don't you question yourself as to why you don't see that Delete option? It's because time and time again, you are failing to delete the partitions.

That is where you are failing. A failure to understand and so a failure to execute. When someone else is able to visit you and to show you where you are going wrong, you will finally understand.

The is no point in the installation where you need to run anything as Admin nor double click on to run the install. If you do so, you are doing it incorrectly. If you do not choose Custom and then choose to delete the partitions, it will fail.

Edited by Bruno123

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

We won't give up on you as long as you don't give up.

But you are wasting time by ploughing on when something doesn't work.

A bit like taking a wrong road when driving but refusing to turn back in the hope that you'll get there in the end.

If you coordinate fixing it at a time when I am online, I can be here to guide you through the parts when it appears that you are being diverted from the path. But you want to just get on with it in your own time; so when you come up against hurdles you just stumble through them instead of asking about the right technique.

We are on your side; so stop attacking and accept the help gracefully. Ste by step. You need to discover at which step you are diverging from the instructions. I have already shown you where I think you are diverging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Yes, you are the one doing it wrongly. So you need to refer back to us when a particular STEP does not work. But you just ignore it when a step does not work for you and then carry on regardless.

You have to STOP when a step does not work and find out why that particular step did not work; not just ignore and do whatever you want. Understood?

Do you understand the KISS principle?

Keep

It

Simple

Stupid

Google it and understand that the more complicated yo make it, the more mistakes can be made.

This is the last contact I will have with you on this subject.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Do you understand the KISS principle?

Keep

It

Simple

Stupid

Google it and understand that the more complicated yo make it, the more mistakes can be made.

This is the last contact I will have with you on this subject.

Dear Bill

You need to understand that it is not I who is making it complicated. Those are the steps that need to be taken for a clean install.

They are simple; but clearly too complicated for you. So if you want to call someone stupid, you need to be careful that you are not describing yourself.

How many people thus far, apart from myself, have told you pointedly that you have not completed the steps correctly.

At least three methinks. Yet you are still insisting that you are right and we are wrong.

Who is stupid?

Just go back and do the thing properly. Ask when something doesn't look right instead of ignoring it and making the same blunders over and over again.

I found this site about Windows 10 latest update which may be of use to some people.

https://www.techradar.com

New Windows 10 update is causing a whole world of pain.

Some Windows 10 users are encountering serious problems following the release of the recent "KB5001330" update, with some reports even coming in that the update itself can't be installed on some machines.

Earlier this week, Microsoft published its new April 2021list of updates, including Windows 10 KB5001330 for version 20H2/2004, which was a mandatory download intended to patch the problems caused by the previous update, including the long-running issues with the printers.

14 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Windows is a flaky operating system and I hate to inform you, but your picture perfect instruction may actually not work in @billd766 case.  And I can vouch for that as I"m on about day 5 of trying to solve my own problems using DISM (I've tried multiple methods of trying to extract the install.eds file as HeathCheck doesn't work without it), Windows Media Creation Tool (it created a Win10 20H0 USB that won't boot), original Windows boot media (doesn't have the necessary files to fix a corrupted Win10 installation).  So he could be doing exactly what you've outlined without it working.  Perhaps you so compulsive and invested in "helping" that your only recourse is to blame billd766 because your instructions don't work on his computer.  I can assure you, it's not his fault.  Try blaming Microsoft for having a s**t operating system.

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Windows is a flaky operating system and I hate to inform you, but your picture perfect instruction may actually not work in @billd766 case.  And I can vouch for that as I"m on about day 5 of trying to solve my own problems using DISM (I've tried multiple methods of trying to extract the install.eds file as HeathCheck doesn't work without it), Windows Media Creation Tool (it created a Win10 20H0 USB that won't boot), original Windows boot media (doesn't have the necessary files to fix a corrupted Win10 installation).  So he could be doing exactly what you've outlined without it working.  Perhaps you so compulsive and invested in "helping" that your only recourse is to blame billd766 because your instructions don't work on his computer.  I can assure you, it's not his fault.  Try blaming Microsoft for having a s**t operating system.

I have tried to explain y to Bruno123 but he still insists that it my fault for having tried his way 4 or 5 times and it fails for me every time.

Why would I bother to try again and waste more time when I can try other posters solutions?

25 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have tried to explain y to Bruno123 but he still insists that it my fault for having tried his way 4 or 5 times and it fails for me every time.

Why would I bother to try again and waste more time when I can try other posters solutions?

Sad that you would try to attack the person that is helping you; rather than to work together to find a solution. Perhaps you should look more closely at the kind of person you are these days.

You don't attack the people who are trying to help you; it's not rocket science but simple good manners. Your mother would be proud.

If, for some convoluted reason, the Media Creation Tool failed to create a Bootable media(doubtful, but intelligent people do not dismiss; they investigate), then if you went through the troubleshooting with me, we would have discovered that.

But because of your particular character, you make it impossible to troubleshoot the issue.

It still could be and likely is, your error. Connda's experience may mirror yours only in a lack of competence.

It is he and you who are having problems, not I.

If you follow my instruction, it will work. But you are not following my instruction; you are only creating objections and bringing your negative emotion into it. If you were able to be guided without your throwing a tantrum we would have dispensed with this issue some time ago.

So, instead of constantly throwing tantrums and wasting time, why not try it my way for one day?

I guarantee if you do as I say, that I will have it fixed in one day. What say you? Man or mouse?

You have to realise that I am not there with you. A guide might be only 99% accurate, so we need to take it step by step in case there is something different with your device. So it is useless if you refuse to cooperate and simply ignore when something diverges. Understand?

You HAVE to work together. If I was there it would be done in thirty minutes; because I would not have to work through you.

But I do have to work through you. So you have to be my eyes. That means reporting to me on every step. You don't seem able to grasp that....with ridiculous statements as to not taking instruction from anyone. Don't you know how stupid that sounds? That is exactly why people post here. To get solutions to their problems.

So you can carrying on wasting days and weeks or simply dedicate a day to working with me and I guarantee it will be done the same day. 

1 hour ago, connda said:

You are simply not competent. You cannot assure anything to do with him, as you are not with him and have no idea as to his issues; so stop making empty, baseless statements and then presenting them as fact.

I would have noticed immediately if the media was not Bootable and recreated it using RUFUS.

A bad workman blames his tools. I don't have problems because I solve them. Some people have no end of problems.

The OP claims that he was successful in creating the media; but simply has failed to Boot from the media. 

When asked to recount the steps taken; he simply refuses. It's totally ridiculous. How to work with someone like that? Who thinks he knows better than the specialists.

So as you suggest that perhaps his media is not Bootable; then I will suggest that he recreates it utilising RUFUS.

Edited by Bruno123

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Sad that you would try to attack the person that is helping you; rather than to work together to find a solution. Perhaps you should look more closely at the kind of person you are these days.

You don't attack the people who are trying to help you; it's not rocket science but simple good manners. Your mother would be proud.

If, for some convoluted reason, the Media Creation Tool failed to create a Bootable media(doubtful, but intelligent people do not dismiss; they investigate), then if you went through the troubleshooting with me, we would have discovered that.

But because of your particular character, you make it impossible to troubleshoot the issue.

It still could be and likely is, your error. Connda's experience may mirror yours only in a lack of competence.

It is he and you who are having problems, not I.

If you follow my instruction, it will work. But you are not following my instruction; you are only creating objections and bringing your negative emotion into it. If you were able to be guided without your throwing a tantrum we would have dispensed with this issue some time ago.

So, instead of constantly throwing tantrums and wasting time, why not try it my way for one day?

I guarantee if you do as I say, that I will have it fixed in one day. What say you? Man or mouse?

You have to realise that I am not there with you. A guide might be only 99% accurate, so we need to take it step by step in case there is something different with your device. So it is useless if you refuse to cooperate and simply ignore when something diverges. Understand?

You HAVE to work together. If I was there it would be done in thirty minutes; because I would not have to work through you.

But I do have to work through you. So you have to be my eyes. That means reporting to me on every step. You don't seem able to grasp that....with ridiculous statements as to not taking instruction from anyone. Don't you know how stupid that sounds? That is exactly why people post here. To get solutions to their problems.

So you can carrying on wasting days and weeks or simply dedicate a day to working with me and I guarantee it will be done the same day. 

The highway to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What I need you to explain is WHERE you diverge from my guide; not a broad brush of "it doesn't work". That is useless.

Otherwise I have to GUESS. I am keeping it SIMPLE for you. Tell exactly or I will have to guess. Guessing makes it more difficult for both of us. Working closely together makes it easier for me to fix the 1% chance of an error.

You expect everyone else to be perfect when you are clearly not perfect yourself.

So instead of criticising the hours of work that I have given freely, why not show some appreciation by answering my questions without being an "£$%?

So we will eliminate the possibility of the Media Creation Tool not creating Bootable media by using another piece of software to create it.

Enjoy:

Create boot flash drive downloading Windows 10 ISO

Rufus also includes an option to download the Windows 10 ISO file directly from the Microsoft servers, which you can then use with the tool to create a bootable USB flash drive.

To create an install media of Windows 10 with Rufus, connect a USB flash drive of at least 8GB of space, and then use these steps:

1. Open Rufus download page.
  2. Under the "Download" section, click the latest release (first link) of the tool to save the file onto your computer.

rufus-3-13-download-2021.jpg

3. Double-click the Rufus-x.xx.exe file to launch the tool.
  4. Click the Settings button at the bottom of the page.

rufus-settings-button-2021.jpg

5. Under the "Settings" section, use the "Check for updates" drop-down menu and select the Daily option.

enable-download-rufus-option.jpg

6. Click the Close button.
  7. Close the Rufus tool.
  8. Double-click the Rufus-x.xx.exe file to relaunch the tool.
  9. Under the "Device" section, select the USB flash drive.
  10. Under the "Boot selection" section, click the arrow button next to the "Select" option and choose the Download option.

rufus-windows-10-iso-download-option.jpg

11. Click the Download button.
  12. Use the "Version" drop-down menu and select the Windows 10 option.
  13. Click the Continue button.
  14. Select the 20H2 (Build 19042.xxx - xxxx.xx) option to download the Windows 10 October 2020 Update.
  15. Click the Continue button.
  16. Use the "Edition" drop-down menu and select the Windows 10 Home/Pro option.
  17. Click the Continue button.
  18. Use the "Language" drop-down menu and select your installation language.

Quick note: If you are in the United States, select the "English" option. Otherwise, select the "English International" option.

19. Click the Continue button.
  20. Use the "Architecture" drop-down menu and select the 32-bit or 64-bit option (recommended).

Quick tip: You can check the architecture of your device on Settings > System > About, under the Device specifications section.

21. Click the Download button.

22. rufus-download-manager-2021.jpg

23. Select a temporarily folder to location save the ISO file.
  24. Click the Save button.
  25. Use the "Image option" drop-down menu and select the Standard Windows installation option.
  26. Use the "Partition scheme" drop-down menu and select the GPT option.
  27. Use the "Target system" drop-down menu and select the UEFI (non CSM) option.

28. rufus-iso-uefi-bootable-settings-windows

29. Under the "Show Advanced drive properties" section, do not change the default settings.
  30. Under the "Volume label" field, confirm a name for the bootable drive — for example, "win10_20h2_usb."
  31. Under the "File system" and "Cluster size" sections, do not change the default settings.
  32. Click the Show advanced format options button.
  33. Check the Quick format option.
  34. Check the Create extended label and icon files option.
  35. Click the Start button.
  36. Click the OK button.
  37. Click the Close button.

Once you complete the steps, the tool will run the script and download the Windows 10 ISO file. After the download, you can use that ISO file to create a bootable media to install Windows 10 on a UEFI device.

When you have the USB bootable media with support for UEFI systems, you can use it to start the "Windows Setup" wizard to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 or an in-place upgrade.

However, since the "UEFI:NTFS bootloader" does not include a digital signature for secure boot, you must temporarily disable secure boot on the motherboard firmware before you can boot into the setup wizard. Usually, you would complete this task from within the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface that you can access by hitting one of the function keys (F1, F2, F3, F10, or F12), the ESC, or Delete key as soon as you start the computer.

The only caveat is that these settings will be different per manufacturer and even by computer model. So make sure to check your device manufacturer's support website for more specific instructions. After the installation of Windows 10, you can enable the feature again.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Bruno123 said:

Bill, a clean install will work; no doubt. The problem is that you do not know how to run a clean install.

Resetting your computer probably will work.  I did that last night after fighting for the last week trying to fix updating problems.  It's simple enough although you'll need to reload all your programs after the "reset."

Here's the preliminary steps I took:
* I'd start of by getting a list of the programs you have on your computer.  UninstallView works will.  It's pretty much a button click and save a text file with the info about all your installed program.  Download if from the author here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/uninstall_view.html
** Export the bookmarks from your browser because the reset will delete all apps.  You can import them after you reinstall your favorite browser.

*** Then download the Acer drivers in case you need them.  You probably will not, but better safe then sorry.  Go to the Acer support site.  Flip your laptop over and write down the SNID number and enter it on the link below.  It will pull up all the drivers for your computer.   Download them to your download folder.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

At this point I backed up my personal files to an external hard drive.

Wait until before you go to bed because this will probably take some time.  I started my "Reset" at midnight and it was complete around 6am.  If you have more powerful hardware than me then it may take less time, but heck - just fire it off and then go sleep.

To "Reset my PC"
Detailed reset instruction in the link below:  Follow steps 1 though 9.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc
Personally I'm a visual learner.  I like picture with my instructions.  This link provides that.
I guarantee this will solve you "stuck disabled" Windows Update services problem because it's going to reinstall Windows for you.

<ZZZzzzz  ZZZzzzz  ZZZzzzz>
When the "Reset" is finished you'll be back to the Windows 10 Welcome logon window with a clean Windows 10 installation.
Logon as it's not finished yet.  It will install additional updates. 
After the updates were completed I was then presented with an Edge setup screen. 

Using Edge, I went to the Window download page below.  I myself still run version 1903.  I could not update to the latest October 2020 20H2 version.
To update to the latest version (October 2020 20H2) by going to the MS Win10 download page. 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 
If you are not using 20H2 the page will give you the option to install it.  The page is "context oriented, in other words if you have the latest updates it will not offer you an update option.
And that's where I'm at now.  About 90% into the October 2020 20H2 that I fired off from the page above.

After the 20H2 update is finished I'll go to Settings, Updates & security, Windows Update and finish letting Windows update to the current April 2021 Cumulative.

Hopes this helps if you finally get tired (like me) and just decide "The hell with it", and Reset the PC back to a clean install.   If you have question, feel free to PM me.  I'll help as I can.
And I won't blame you for installation failures.  I've been following instructions to solve my own Windows 10 problems for almost a week and none of them worked except for this "Reset my PC" options.   Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have a valid Win10 Pro product key download the Win10 Pro ISO file from Microsoft. Use MS own programs or Rufus to make a bootable USB memory. Change the boot order in BIOS to boot from USB. Reboot and let the install program finish. There you go, a clean install of Win10 Pro.

Backup all the stuff you want to save before so you can make a full install. There are numerous tutorials if you want step by step

instructions on how to do the procedure.

Bonus tip: After you finish the install get WPD from wpd.app (Open Source) so you can block all the spying from Microsoft in a simple way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, milys said:

If you have a valid Win10 Pro product key download the Win10 Pro ISO file from Microsoft. Use MS own programs or Rufus to make a bootable USB memory. Change the boot order in BIOS to boot from USB. Reboot and let the install program finish. There you go, a clean install of Win10 Pro.

Backup all the stuff you want to save before so you can make a full install. There are numerous tutorials if you want step by step

Bonus tip: After you finish the install get WPD from wpd.app (Open Source) so you can block all the spying from Microsoft in a simple way.

WPD sounds interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

43 minutes ago, milys said:

Thanks for the tip. I tried a different suggestion yesterday and that didn't work either, so it is another cross in the box. 

All I lost was some time and it did clean up my pc a bit.

6 hours ago, connda said:

Resetting your computer probably will work.  I did that last night after fighting for the last week trying to fix updating problems.  It's simple enough although you'll need to reload all your programs after the "reset."

Here's the preliminary steps I took:
* I'd start of by getting a list of the programs you have on your computer.  UninstallView works will.  It's pretty much a button click and save a text file with the info about all your installed program.  Download if from the author here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/uninstall_view.html
** Export the bookmarks from your browser because the reset will delete all apps.  You can import them after you reinstall your favorite browser.

*** Then download the Acer drivers in case you need them.  You probably will not, but better safe then sorry.  Go to the Acer support site.  Flip your laptop over and write down the SNID number and enter it on the link below.  It will pull up all the drivers for your computer.   Download them to your download folder.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

At this point I backed up my personal files to an external hard drive.

Wait until before you go to bed because this will probably take some time.  I started my "Reset" at midnight and it was complete around 6am.  If you have more powerful hardware than me then it may take less time, but heck - just fire it off and then go sleep.

To "Reset my PC"
Detailed reset instruction in the link below:  Follow steps 1 though 9.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc
Personally I'm a visual learner.  I like picture with my instructions.  This link provides that.
I guarantee this will solve you "stuck disabled" Windows Update services problem because it's going to reinstall Windows for you.

<ZZZzzzz  ZZZzzzz  ZZZzzzz>
When the "Reset" is finished you'll be back to the Windows 10 Welcome logon window with a clean Windows 10 installation.
Logon as it's not finished yet.  It will install additional updates. 
After the updates were completed I was then presented with an Edge setup screen. 

Using Edge, I went to the Window download page below.  I myself still run version 1903.  I could not update to the latest October 2020 20H2 version.
To update to the latest version (October 2020 20H2) by going to the MS Win10 download page. 
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 
If you are not using 20H2 the page will give you the option to install it.  The page is "context oriented, in other words if you have the latest updates it will not offer you an update option.
And that's where I'm at now.  About 90% into the October 2020 20H2 that I fired off from the page above.

After the 20H2 update is finished I'll go to Settings, Updates & security, Windows Update and finish letting Windows update to the current April 2021 Cumulative.

Hopes this helps if you finally get tired (like me) and just decide "The hell with it", and Reset the PC back to a clean install.   If you have question, feel free to PM me.  I'll help as I can.
And I won't blame you for installation failures.  I've been following instructions to solve my own Windows 10 problems for almost a week and none of them worked except for this "Reset my PC" options.   Best of luck!

Okey-dokey.  About eight hours since I fired it off and the October 2020 20H2 update installed.  "Yeah!"  But I checked the version after the install and Microsoft installed version 1909.  "Booo!"  Honest injun, the Win10 Download page gave me upgrade choice: October 2020 20H2.  So?  Probably another 8 to 10 hours before this is finished.  Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzz.  So I guess I can start working on it tomorrow morning.  While it was updating it also installed the April 2021 Cumulative Rollup update successfully.  "Yeah!"  Maybe after doing all this I'll have a functional copy of Windows 10.  I also noticed a slight performance improvement.  "Yeah!" 

First thing I do after all these updates are complete?
I'm doing a full backup of the C drive and the three other Windows 10 partitions.  A good way to do that is by using Macrium Reflect Free Edition.  It pretty intuitive.  If you back up your C drive it will automatically select the other Windows 10 partitions necessary for the proper functioning of Windows 10.
That gives you a bare-bones clean copy of Window 10 that you can always roll back to.  The software allows you to make either backups or disc images.  Pretty cool.  I'll image those partitions and keep them on an external hard drive for a rainy day.

So, just a "heads up" if you go the "Reset my PC" option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, milys said:

I was actually going to go that direction.  Used Media Creator to make a Windows 10 USB.  Tried it on my computer?  Wouldn't load.
Downloaded the Windows 10 20H2 iso and burned it to a USB using Rufus. Tried it on my computer?  Wouldn't load.  Downloaded a new iso image and tried again.  Wouldn't load.   Went to my USB box and tried other bootable USBs made with Rufus.  Loaded fine.  I've never had a problem like that running a UEFI bios.  I'm still at a loss. 
I was pulling what was left of my hair out last night.  I did make another Win10 USB with Universal USB Installer, but I fired off the "Reset my PC" option in Recovery, said "The hell with it.", and went to bed. Work up to a "clean" copy of Windows.  More than one way to skin a cat. 

I'll bet 'cha a box of donuts that if I try the UUI Win 10 USB it will work now that I don't need it.  <laughs>

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, Bruno123 said:

A full day. I have done clean W10 installs from a USB Creation stick, and never has it taken over an hour, onto an SSD of course, with a 1Gb/s internet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A full day. I have done clean W10 installs from a USB Creation stick, and never has it taken over an hour, onto an SSD of course, with a 1Gb/s internet.

That of course is fine IF you have an SSD of course, with a 1Gb/s internet.

Unfortunately out here I am lucky to see 100mb download and I have no SSD, internal or external.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

You've got powerful hardware.  I've got a 2.5 ghz dual core AMD, 4 GB ram, and a SATA disk.  Average installs and upgrade times are in excess of 6+ hours.   It's hardware dependent.  I've got a clean install now.  Still took from 10am to 6pm to update the computer after the install that took about 6 hours.  And I'm not finished.  It's still updating. 
After I'm finished setting up Windows (which I use once a year to run my tax software), I'll reinstall Linux over the top of it (dual-boot) which will probably take 1/2 hour. Then back to Linux.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately out here I am lucky to see 100mb download and I have no SSD, internal or external.

I am in the 'jungle'  35 km from the city. For Bht 749 I get 1Gb/s down & 500 up from 3BB which however does not influence the speed of Windows installation.. 

SSDs are cheap as chips these days. So quit the excuses, get up to date.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, connda said:

You've got powerful hardware.  I've got a 2.5 ghz dual core AMD, 4 GB ram, and a SATA disk.  Average installs and upgrade times are in excess of 6+ hours.   It's hardware dependent.  I've got a clean install now.  Still took from 10am to 6pm to update the computer after the install that took about 6 hours.  And I'm not finished.  It's still updating. 
After I'm finished setting up Windows (which I use once a year to run my tax software), I'll reinstall Linux over the top of it (dual-boot) which will probably take 1/2 hour. Then back to Linux.

Can you not put a Windows emulator in Linux?

I buggered that post up. Sorry.

I actually meant 100mB but the rest was correct.

• Confused 1