Windows 10 software updater

billd766

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am in the 'jungle'  35 km from the city. For Bht 749 I get 1Gb/s down & 500 up from 3BB which however does not influence the speed of Windows installation.. 

SSDs are cheap as chips these days. So quit the excuses, get up to date.

It is not how far you are from the city, but how far you are from the operators node.

The maximum distance that 3BB will run is 500 metres and I am 740 metres from the node.

Neither ToT or AIS will connect me up either.

On Lazada external SSD drives are IRO 14k baht.

41 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can you not put a Windows emulator in Linux?

I plan on buying an SSD drive and load Linux on it and then run Windows on a Virtual Box VM.  But with Covid I have to wait until I can get to Chiang to visit my computer hardware guy.  I'll just connect my old HD using a USB SATA cable additional backup.
So yeah, I've got a plan.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

SSDs are cheap as chips these days. So quit the excuses

Perhaps you should quit the attitude.  There are a couple of you out there who seem to just want to attack billd766.  His problems are not about you guys.  I'll leave it at that.  I'm not going to bicker back and forth.  Give billd766 a break.  He's doing his best.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Perhaps you should quit the attitude.  There are a couple of you out there who seem to just want to attack billd766.  His problems are not about you guys.  I'll leave it at that.  I'm not going to bicker back and forth.  Give billd766 a break.  He's doing his best.

I read the responses and if they are worth looking at I will try them.

Whilst I may read them I don't have to reply to the posters, but some of them get very boring lately.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

I was actually going to go that direction.  Used Media Creator to make a Windows 10 USB.  Tried it on my computer?  Wouldn't load.
Downloaded the Windows 10 20H2 iso and burned it to a USB using Rufus. Tried it on my computer?  Wouldn't load.  Downloaded a new iso image and tried again.  Wouldn't load.   Went to my USB box and tried other bootable USBs made with Rufus.  Loaded fine.  I've never had a problem like that running a UEFI bios.  I'm still at a loss. 
I was pulling what was left of my hair out last night.  I did make another Win10 USB with Universal USB Installer, but I fired off the "Reset my PC" option in Recovery, said "The hell with it.", and went to bed. Work up to a "clean" copy of Windows.  More than one way to skin a cat. 

I'll bet 'cha a box of donuts that if I try the UUI Win 10 USB it will work now that I don't need it.  <laughs>

So now you are admitting that the claim the Media Creation Tool was at fault was just your error?

Just another case of the blind leading the blind. A crazy long way around the issue simply because you do not appear competent enough to run a clean install.

I take offence at your attempts to paint billd766 as some kind of set upon soul and the people who have gone out of their way to help him as "attackers". A flight of fancy on your part.

Reset Your PC will still leave him having to change the edition manually and then have to upgrade that to the latest version. A clean install is a one step sure fire method. But in between incompetence and intransigence, it was deemed impossible. I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back for such an abject failure to complete a relatively simple task.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, milys said:

If you have a valid Win10 Pro product key download the Win10 Pro ISO file from Microsoft. Use MS own programs or Rufus to make a bootable USB memory. Change the boot order in BIOS to boot from USB. Reboot and let the install program finish. There you go, a clean install of Win10 Pro.

Backup all the stuff you want to save before so you can make a full install. There are numerous tutorials if you want step by step

instructions on how to do the procedure.

Bonus tip: After you finish the install get WPD from wpd.app (Open Source) so you can block all the spying from Microsoft in a simple way.

That's funny isn't it? You have posted exactly what I posted in the very first post of this thread. Though here the two protagonists have thanked you profusely. ????

Of course your post is missing a lot of detail and therefore is not guaranteed to fix the issue. But they don't really seem to care about the detail.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It is not how far you are from the city, but how far you are from the operators node.

The maximum distance that 3BB will run is 500 metres and I am 740 metres from the node.

If you do have 100 Mbps download speeds, that is very fast. A 5 GB Windows 10 image could theoretically download in five and a half minutes.

With an internal SSD, clean installs would take place over less than twenty minutes with updates and upgrades much faster and more efficient. It would also make a clean install much easier, since it would eliminate the possibility of you accidentally running an upgrade install.

As KP suggests; quit with the excuses. Your failure to launch is solely down to your lack of cooperation.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am exactly 1000 metres from 3BBs box (node). They connected me with fibre directly to my router two years ago.

But this thread is about updating your Windows 10. For a clean install you do  not need internet connection in the first instance.

Stop arguing with people who know better than you and get it done.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I personally would never pay that sort of money.

There are other ways.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.WdLiS

Add 250 or less for an enclosure.

But then I couldnt fill 1 tb let alone 2 ..????

I wouldn't that amount of money either but it came as a suggestion so I thought I would look it up and see the price and if it would be worth the money.

The chattering class is bleating on the post once again.

It seem strange that they don't seem to comprehend what cease and desist means. Let them play. While they are bugging me they are leaving other people alone.

I have an eBook library which is 160gB on its own, downloaded movies and music plus stuff going back to the turn of the century and earlier.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I wouldn't that amount of money either but it came as a suggestion so I thought I would look it up and see the price and if it would be worth the money.

The chattering class is bleating on the post once again.

It seem strange that they don't seem to comprehend what cease and desist means. Let them play. While they are bugging me they are leaving other people alone.

I have an eBook library which is 160gB on its own, downloaded movies and music plus stuff going back to the turn of the century and earlier.

I challenge you to find even a single post or person here that suggests that you purchase an external SSD.

You jump to erroneous conclusions time after time and then blame others for your erroneous actions. But it's all you.

Don't think it has gone unnoticed. People are just being extra nice to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

I challenge you to find even a single post or person here that suggests that you purchase an external SSD.

You jump to erroneous conclusions time after time and then blame others for your erroneous actions. But it's all you.

Don't think it has gone unnoticed. People are just being extra nice to you.

Your patience is exemplary but I doubt you will manage to get a light on given the level of defensive behavior coming your way. 

The threads a classic fail due to lack of constructive feedback. Frustration and the presence of the more knowledgeable often triggers defensive reactions.

Might be best to flee this cuckoo's nest before someone throws a 7.

• Thanks 2

We help people in spite of themselves. Hopefully it may spur them on to be better people.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing..."

So even if the OP appears rude and intransigent; he cannot help himself. I can. 

So we are still waiting to see what happens after the OP gets to this screen after Booting from the USB installation media:

ff7c1bf5-d644-4caf-bb5d-6c7d7426368d

Do you see this screen?

976b8189-cd89-4f13-89c4-04f9f8f2b622

Don't connect to the Internet means don't connect to the Internet. Don't go against the guide, connect to the Internet and then complain that you wasted time trying my options. My options are clear; the OP just decides to try his luck doing his own thing. We have seen the result.

Seems he cares more about his ego that actually fixing his device. Strange, to me.

I would happily allow someone who knew more than me to guide me.

• Thanks 1

If you are having issues that are beyond you, then go into the BIOS to change the Boot method to Legacy and then try Booting from the MCT USB Flash drive again.

Are you using the F12 Boot Menu to Boot from the USB Flash drive? Can you take pics and post them here so we can see where you are with the clean install?

You do really need to delete those partitions or you will be carrying remnants of the corrupt install. Deleting the partitions will get you a completely fresh install. Other methods may not.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

If you are having issues that are beyond you, then go into the BIOS to change the Boot method to Legacy and then try Booting from the MCT USB Flash drive again.

Are you using the F12 Boot Menu to Boot from the USB Flash drive? Can you take pics and post them here so we can see where you are with the clean install?

You do really need to delete those partitions or you will be carrying remnants of the corrupt install. Deleting the partitions will get you a completely fresh install. Other methods may not.

I am going to need an extra external hard drive before I go into deleting partitions so that I can copy the C drive, D drive and E drive.

C drive 162gB used with 38gB remaining

D drive 175gB used with 189gB remaining

E drive 221gB used with 189gB remaining

I need at least another 1tB external drive to load that lot onto and it will have to wait as my truck needs tyres this month and that is more important.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am going to need an extra external hard drive before I go into deleting partitions so that I can copy the C drive, D drive and E drive.

I need at least another 1tB external drive to load that lot onto and it will have to wait as my truck needs tyres this month and that is more important.

What a load of cobblers. The D & E drives have nothing to do with your operating system. You SHOULD have all your data on C drive already backed up somewhere. If not, do it now onto either D or E. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What a load of cobblers. The D & E drives have nothing to do with your operating system. You SHOULD have all your data on C drive already backed up somewhere. If not, do it now onto either D or E. 

When you know what you are talking about I may bother to listen to you. Until that point please don't bother to paste the wrong information.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What KannikaP suggests is correct.

You can simply copy C:(Users folder) into a folder on D or E and then choose to not delete those partitions when it comes to the clean install. You will chose to delete all of the others on the list; your D & E drives will be left untouched.

You will know which is which before deleting, as you know the amount of free space left on each, so you can check that, deleting ALL of the others and then choosing to install to the Unallocated Space left behind. That will allow you to install a clean working OS with none of your current issues.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When you know what you are talking about I may bother to listen to you. Until that point please don't bother to paste the wrong information.

Here you go again Bill.

I, and several others obviously know more about PCs & Windows than you do. But you simply ignore any advice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

What KannikaP suggests is correct.

You can simply copy C:(Users folder) into a folder on D or E and then choose to not delete those partitions when it comes to the clean install. You will chose to delete all of the others on the list; your D & E drives will be left untouched.

You will know which is which before deleting, as you know the amount of free space left on each, so you can check that, deleting ALL of the others and then choosing to install to the Unallocated Space left behind. That will allow you to install a clean working OS with none of your current issues.

Thank you for your pleasant response, and for not blaming me for being stupid or unhelpful, but the D and E drives are partitions of the C drive.

I always respond to posts like yours, and ignore the others.

F and G drives are external HDD with little space left on them and H drive is only a 16gB thumb drive.

So without another external HDD, where can I back up the C, D, and E drives?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

deleteted post

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for your pleasant response, and for not blaming me for being stupid or unhelpful, but the D and E drives are partitions of the C drive.

F and G drives are external HDD with little space left on them and H drive is only a 16gB thumb drive.

Exactly where KannikaP and I stated. A partition is a partition. They are not partitions of the C drive. The C drive is a partition on the storage drive; as are partitions D & E, system Reserved etc.

So you delete all of the unwanted partitions; i.e. everything that is not D & E. Windows will recreate them all; apart from D & E, since you won't delete nor install over them. Windows will only install to the Unallocated Space that you will choose.

I cannot take full credit, as everyone is giving good advice here.

• Like 1

So to reiterate; Move the USERS folder on C over to D or E and then during the clean install, delete ALL of the other partitions, including C, System Reserved, Recovery etc, leaving only D & E. You will know which are D & E from the Free space amount that corresponds to the free space that you know is left after you move to contents to D/E.

GPT.png.b08d2e5cb56bbdadcc0b007a9b3e3d89

So before you click Next to move forward, you should have Unallocated Space at the top of the box and two partitions; one with 189 GB left and the other with how much ever is left after you move the Users folder from C to it.

Click on the Unallocated Space to turn it blue and then click Next.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you got a back-up program like Macrium or Acronis (free version), you can compress all your data onto a Back-up disc.

Or have you tried Cloud storage.  I moved all my User folders, Docs, Music, Video, etc from C:/ Users, to a separate SSD which contained my One Drive folder. Hence the data is automatically backed up, you only have it once on your storage, and you can say which data you want to keep locally or only up on the Cloud. For about £50 you can get a Microsoft 365 subscription which gives you 6 x 1TB of storage, plus 6 x 100 minutes of Skype calls to almost anywhere. A good deal I think.

Then if anything goes tits up with your Windows you only need to repair or re-install it without affecting your data.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Nice.

So it means that you have lied to us all with your claims that you followed my method four or five times. You clearly did not even consider deleting the partitions if it is only something that you are considering seven pages later.

• Haha 1

It really isn't a terrible idea to remove the current hard drive, placing it into a caddy for use as an external storage drive and popping a solid state drive within.

2000 baht or thereabouts will get you a high quality and fast 500 GB solid state drive. You'll enjoy using the PC much more and updates will take place MUCH more quickly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

It really isn't a terrible idea to remove the current hard drive, placing it into a caddy for use as an external storage drive and popping a solid state drive within.

2000 baht or thereabouts will get you a high quality and fast 500 GB solid state drive. You'll enjoy using the PC much more and updates will take place MUCH more quickly.

Thank you for your suggestion.

How difficult would it be as my pc is an Acer All In One model?

One reason is that it is still under warranty.

IMHO I would prefer the SSD to be at least the equivalent of 1tB.

It is certainly a task that I would not want to try myself which means that I would have to go back to the dealer I bought it from in Kamphaeng Phet 65km away.

It is an Acer Aspire C24-320-A98G1T23Mi/T001.

• Confused 1