Thailand reduces quarantine period from April: 5 things to know

webfact

N.jpg

Visitors pass the Reclining Buddha at the temple Wat Pho in Bangkok. (Photo by Akira Kodaka)

Government weighs tourism revenue against public health

MASAYUKI YUDA, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- Thailand will shorten its mandatory quarantine period for foreigners arriving in the country, starting in April.

The kingdom will use its soil as a testing ground for every tourism-dependent country around the world. Reducing the isolation period is a crucial step for the recovery of South Asia's second-largest economy, yet the trial may expose the country to the risk of another domestic epidemic.

Thailand will be the first country in the region to shorten the required isolation period. In other parts of the world, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has since December recommended travelers stay home for seven days if they take a COVID-19 test after arriving, in addition to one required before departure, and 10 days if they do not -- both less than 14 days. The U.K. also shortened the period from 14 days to 10 in December.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Thailand-reduces-quarantine-period-from-April-5-things-to-know

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2021-04-03

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

article published  two days ago , with no news.

It says:

"The kingdom will use its soil as a testing ground for every tourism-dependent country around the world.

then it goes to say:

" In other parts of the world, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has since December recommended travelers stay home for seven days if they take a COVID-19 test after arriving, in addition to one required before departure, and 10 days if they do not -- both less than 14 days." 

So how is Thailand a testing ground for around the world? when the US CDC has recommended a seven days home stay for arrivals without vaccine, but only  a covid test?  several months ago.   And Thailand's regiment is more stringent and requires NO home stay but a ASQ stay for 7 days , several tests, and vaccination for a rivals.

I am confused , what did I miss?  

its just mental this news thats getting around

i have not ever seen anything official from Thai immigration stating these new conditions, all this news is just total bullocks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ttkeric said:

No, it isn't... Malaysia has since January require inbound travellers, citizens or not, to either quarantine for 10 days or 7, if one has a negative PCR-CT Covid test done before flying. Since non-citizens are required to have a negative test before boarding, then it's assumed all foreigners only stay 7 days.

The quarantine is at government approved hotels for a minimal cost (approx USD 25 /day) or apply to stay in optional "luxury" hotels, and the Covid test, if not taken before flying, is around USD 40.

India has also reduced the quarantine period to zero if the passenger can provide proof of being fully vaccinated (both shots). Really hoping Thailand follows suit and at least allow vaccinated people to return.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

ok can you send links please if you have them handy, i cant seem to find anything 100% official.

Here's one directly of Thai Consulate in Sydney website they really are posted all over the place you just need to look. Remembering off course in reality the reduction is from 16 days to 11 but still I'm over the moon.

Screenshot_20210403-214820_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

ok can you send links please if you have them handy, i cant seem to find anything 100% official.

It is official , we are going through the process  with the Embassy right now,  purchased tickets with Quarar air yesterday. and ASQ Hotels started advertising rates for 7 days quarantine.

Several embassies have it posted at their websites. 

https://thaiembdc.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Thaiembdc

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

It says:

"The kingdom will use its soil as a testing ground for every tourism-dependent country around the world.

then it goes to say:

" In other parts of the world, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has since December recommended travelers stay home for seven days if they take a COVID-19 test after arriving, in addition to one required before departure, and 10 days if they do not -- both less than 14 days." 

So how is Thailand a testing ground for around the world? when the US CDC has recommended a seven days home stay for arrivals without vaccine, but only  a covid test?  several months ago.   And Thailand's regiment is more stringent and requires NO home stay but a ASQ stay for 7 days , several tests, and vaccination for a rivals.

Because that's not what the article said.  You left out for every tourism-dependent country. The though it receives a lot of tourists, US is not a tourism-dependent country.

On 4/3/2021 at 5:42 AM, sirineou said:

It says:

then it goes to say:

ASQ puts a bit of money in the system??

3 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

I really find it mind-boggling that some of you want to go there right now... quarantines, endless paperwork, and a very different Thailand from what we normally experience.... (on top of quarantines upon return in some cases, possibly expensive flights, and the possibility of more lockdowns)

I mean if you have a girlfriend or family there sure, that's different, but if you just want to go there on holidays right now IMO you need a shrink.

It is fun right now without the loads of tourists.

• Like 1

.............Thailand will be the first country in the region to shorten the required isolation period. I....................

Well thats fake news and a lie to start with.

Indonesia is 5 days quarantine for all foreigners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, sirineou said:

It is official , we are going through the process  with the Embassy right now,  purchased tickets with Quarar air yesterday. and ASQ Hotels started advertising rates for 7 days quarantine.

Several embassies have it posted at their websites. 

https://thaiembdc.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Thaiembdc

ok cool thanks for the info

These quarantine days are a bit misleading. I believe 10 days is really 12 nights and 13 days and 7 days is really 9 nights and 10 days. They are not counting the first and last day. I think I will wait for Phuket July 1.

On 4/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, Darksidedude said:

its just mental this news thats getting around

i have not ever seen anything official from Thai immigration stating these new conditions, all this news is just total bullocks

Check any Thai embassy website and you will see the changes

Edited by Dawesy

21 hours ago, Niteowl45 said:

I really find it mind-boggling that some of you want to go there right now... quarantines, endless paperwork, and a very different Thailand from what we normally experience.... (on top of quarantines upon return in some cases, possibly expensive flights, and the possibility of more lockdowns)

I mean if you have a girlfriend or family there sure, that's different, but if you just want to go there on holidays right now IMO you need a shrink.

Believe  me it's great time To be in Thailand, when the rest of the world is in a mess life is normal here, no restrictions, quiet beaches and prices are the lowest they've ever  been. Life is good  here.  ????????

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

These quarantine days are a bit misleading. I believe 10 days is really 12 nights and 13 days and 7 days is really 9 nights and 10 days. They are not counting the first and last day. I think I will wait for Phuket July 1.

We arrive at BKK 7am , I guess we will not get to the hotel until  9 am.. Does that mean that first day does not count? 

A day is 24 hours in most countries , has it change in Thailand the past year we were gone? What difference to the virus day and night make? 7 days is 168 hours , 

I can understand, that for administrative purposes they might make their quarantine release a specific time every day, and if your  quarantine time is finishes 6 hours before you might have to wait for 6 hours until you can be released. But how does 7 day quarantine become 10 days?

19 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Believe  me it's great time To be in Thailand, when the rest of the world is in a mess life is normal here, no restrictions, quiet beaches and prices are the lowest they've ever  been. Life is good  here.  ????????

You're missing the point man...

Not disagreeing with you, but if you're not in the country already, like most of us, then you would face extra expenses, hassles, potential problems and various quarantines to get there (and very limited freedom in terms of traveling around the country on top of that).

So no, not worth it in the slightest. And btw, I"m from Vancouver, if I want to walk along a quiet beach, or in a beautiful forest, I can do it any day of the week right here at home. When it comes to nature and quiet Canada is a million times better than Thailand anyways. I go to Thailand for something a little different.

One of the ideas is to reopen Phuket first... I despise Phuket and hadn't been there in years anyways, and I despise the idea of being told where to go so no way I"m coming back to Thailand to be corralled like a sheep into whatever resort hi-so thais want to fill up so their buddies can make money.

If tourism ever goes back to pre-covid normal I'll be happy to visit Thailand again, but until then not a chance in hell.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand Endorses Specific Vaccines for Foreign Tourists

By Prim Chuwiruch

_1x-1.jpg

A near empty Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok on March 22.

Photographer: Andre Malerba/Bloomberg

Thailand has approved a list of eight Covid-19 vaccine makers, including Sinovac Biotech Ltd. and Pfizer Inc., for foreign visitors seeking to shorten a mandatory quarantine on arrival.

Visitors to Thailand will need to upload copies of the vaccination certificates on the website of the nation’s foreign ministry prior to arrival to reduce the quarantine period to seven days. Those without vaccinations will still need to undergo 10 days of isolation and visitors from countries including South Africa will be subject to a two-week quarantine.

The list of approved vaccine makers are Sinovac, AstraZeneca Plc, SK Bioscience Co. Ltd., Pfizer, BioNTech SE, Serum Institute of India, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna Inc. and Sinopharm Group Co.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-09/thailand-endorses-vaccines-by-eight-makers-for-foreign-tourists

Bloomberg.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, WHansen said:

So basically more BS news

Here is LOS there's news and there's suggestion, the suggestion mostly comes from commercially interested industry groups (e.g. 1). hotel & tourism  industry 2). property industry keen to sell condos and houses).

Further very often the media releases coming from the commercially interested organizations, because of the wording, is often mistaken for official gov't., announcements.