Pattaya checkpoints are back! Police report widespread law breaking on the roads

webfact

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Wow great. All those who constantly accuse that there is no enforcement here, I hope are applauding this.  And the fact it is all being monitored now even saw a drone over one spot.  So, when you all are stopped don't complain, cooperate and say " khob khun khrub" for their hard work and law enforcement.

Quite, nothing is ever done that is not started.

if they do a really good check, they have to put a screening point 500 meter before the place where they hold you and 1km after. You will see a lot drivers speeding. Besides I always wonder why there are so many trucks parked at roadside a few hundred metres before there is a check point. Why is no body checking them, because the truck drivers have something to hide, at least so it seems.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

only 10 ?

It's a good start.  The speed cameras that generate fines are also a good start although the fines levied do little to prevent future speeding.  What is really needed to stop the carnage on Thailand's roads is an 'on the road' police force to catch and stop drivers committing any number of traffic law violation.  There drivers need to be stopped BEFORE they are in or cause an accident.  Drivers education in the schools beginning in the years before anyone should be starting to drive any type of vehicle.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I'm guessing most of y'all would rather they just didn't bother at all, instead of trying to make some effort (where before they weren't making any).
I remember before they started enforcing the helmet rule. Nobody wore one anywhere.

But after a couple years of cracking down, people were wearing them - at least on the main roads and in the city. Far more people wearing them now than there used to be.
If they were to seriously start enforcing the 10 points noted in the OP, it would go a long way to making things better as well. Back home, if you are caught driving without a license, or without proper registration and insurance, your vehicle is impounded on the spot. They don't give you a small fine and then let you drive away (in the hopes you don't get caught again too soon). 

They start doing that here and people will start smartening up in a hurry. Hitting them in the pocketbook is the surest way to get them to start complying.

It was noted somewhere else that the public was supposed to report any officer that asked for (or took) a bribe in exchange for letting someone off the hook. 

The new checkpoints have to be set up in accordance with a list of rules the Police Chief laid down before the covid crisis and include things like the number of officers needed, where tables, lights and signs were to be placed, wifi cameras for the officers and watching the officers (so that their supervisors back at the station can keep an eye on things). If I recall, they needed at least 10 officers to man a single checkpoint (at least for a DUI checkpoint).

Part of the reason for that was all the talk about how people could get away with stuff by bribing the cop (or the cops asking for bribes). That is the main reason the Police Chief put a halt to roadside checkpoints awhile ago. Then he came out with the new rules, but right after that came the covid crisis so checkpoints were halted again.
(Probably more about not wanting to cause more financial hardship than concern about covid. They have no problem doing other police things during the crisis.)

I'm never bothered by the checkpoints as I never have anything to worry about. Some people here though seem to have a big problem with them (judging from previous threads about them).
I wonder if some of them are the same people that seemed to want to really, really avoid the checkpoints set up awhile back (last year) when they tried to lock down Pattaya. You know, the checkpoints where foreigners might be asked to show their passport. Some people seemed to be very concerned about that for some reason.....

The problem with checkpoints in Thailand is that because the majority of cops are corrupt it is open to bribery. Not at every checkpoint do they obey the rules. Like wearing body cams etc, they can be turned off. Just because there is a list of rules doesn't mean squat as you should  know.

If all the government officials and cops were not corrupt it would work, alas that is not the case.

Maybe if the police were paid more it may be a start.

As for carrying your original passport, which I believe you are supposed to, but I could be wrong, there seems to be some confusion over what you should carry as ID. But carrying you original passport around, unless you are going to immigration or the airport, is not a good idea, in fact a stupid idea. You should carry a copy of your passport, maybe laminated,  or a driving licenses, the reason is if you lose your passport it is a really big and expensive deal to get a new one and it takes time. There is a huge market for buying and selling stolen/lost passports in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Yeah right! You can fool some of the people some of the time, but...............................................!

Can’t believe there is unlawful stuff happening on roads .. Never

Yes, it's a good thing that the police set up check points...the only problem is, where I live they always set it up at the same place at the same time everyday for the same duration. Many m/c avoid them by taking an alternative routes.