Pattaya checkpoints are back! Police report widespread law breaking on the roads

webfact

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just went through a big one on 2nd road before Central festival, pulling cars and motorbikes over, surprisingly let me sail through on my bike

Where exactly?  I live there and haven't seen it (yet)

• Like 1

ho... you can also add:

11/ more than 2 people on the motorbike

12/ wheel slide because too much used and slick

13/ never turn the head before to change the way

14/ no light's working (even in night time)

15/ illegal motorcycle exhaust noisy and pollute a lot

16/ under technically controlled cars and motorcycles (some doesn't have break but have the authorization to go)

17/ leakage of oil

18/ sit back to thee pickup (so not only no safety belt, but just ready to fly away at the first problem)

19/ broken road

20/ no stop on red fire

21/ no stop on stop horizontal line

22/ enforce the transition to the entrance of a bigger way (can not wait... need to go first !)

23/ have drug in the blood

24/ drunk

25/ too old, can not see or ear anything !

26/ disabled

it should have some more... i try to not stay to much on or near a road.

Edited by jerolamo

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

That picture of Mr. Farang sums a lot of it up for me

4pm.jpg

Dopey Mall Cops  come to Thailand to play Cop , Why would a Farang arrive from a Western Country to play Policeman, Absolutely Pathetic Cretins 

2 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Well near me I see a policeMan riding a bike most day's with just his uniform on with a peak captains police hat...  No helmet... so the way I see it if the law can't or won't do it . how are the general public going to do it..

There's a saying! Do as I say not as I do!!????

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The captain reported widespread lawbreaking on the roads with many people having no licences, no helmets, no third party insurance extension and also no face masks - he noted that was very bad too. 

How smart is this Fellow hey ,He just found out what has been going on since day Dot of Traffic in Los.

1 hour ago, Aomelia said:

Starts April 1 , seeing alm the Farang driving like morons and No helmets bring it in themselves selfish Beasts 

To make obtuse comments  funny such as yours, you have to get the stereo types right sir.

Try this instead:

The thai (locals) drive crazy fast smoking  cigs while on the phone with one hand, eating with the other hand...and with 2 additional helmetless passengers onboard  all with masks under chin. 

**I am actually quite impressed by this display of dexterity btw.

And to be fair,
But not to be outdone...The selfish Farang beasts as you call them (although they might say they are sexy beasts instead)

blind me with their shirtless Twinkie filled pasty obese old white bellies wandering aimlessly in the middle of the streets like slow moving drunk cattle after cheap charly-ing beers all afternoon making driving a bike for a normal lad quite the test.  And I know they are wearing masks because they are actually respirators they require to stay alive.

See? Poking fun at others isn't  hard.  there is so much funny and absurd here there is no need to make poop up like you did.  We all have enough faults that making up new ones is just too much work!

Now, excuse me, I need to get driving on the sidewalk so I'm absolved of any of the other offenses since sidewalk driving has not been banned per the notes above.

Edited by Dart12

6 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I'm guessing most of y'all would rather they just didn't bother at all, instead of trying to make some effort (where before they weren't making any).
I remember before they started enforcing the helmet rule. Nobody wore one anywhere.

But after a couple years of cracking down, people were wearing them - at least on the main roads and in the city. Far more people wearing them now than there used to be.
If they were to seriously start enforcing the 10 points noted in the OP, it would go a long way to making things better as well. Back home, if you are caught driving without a license, or without proper registration and insurance, your vehicle is impounded on the spot. They don't give you a small fine and then let you drive away (in the hopes you don't get caught again too soon). 

They start doing that here and people will start smartening up in a hurry. Hitting them in the pocketbook is the surest way to get them to start complying.

It was noted somewhere else that the public was supposed to report any officer that asked for (or took) a bribe in exchange for letting someone off the hook. 

The new checkpoints have to be set up in accordance with a list of rules the Police Chief laid down before the covid crisis and include things like the number of officers needed, where tables, lights and signs were to be placed, wifi cameras for the officers and watching the officers (so that their supervisors back at the station can keep an eye on things). If I recall, they needed at least 10 officers to man a single checkpoint (at least for a DUI checkpoint).

Part of the reason for that was all the talk about how people could get away with stuff by bribing the cop (or the cops asking for bribes). That is the main reason the Police Chief put a halt to roadside checkpoints awhile ago. Then he came out with the new rules, but right after that came the covid crisis so checkpoints were halted again.
(Probably more about not wanting to cause more financial hardship than concern about covid. They have no problem doing other police things during the crisis.)

I'm never bothered by the checkpoints as I never have anything to worry about. Some people here though seem to have a big problem with them (judging from previous threads about them).
I wonder if some of them are the same people that seemed to want to really, really avoid the checkpoints set up awhile back (last year) when they tried to lock down Pattaya. You know, the checkpoints where foreigners might be asked to show their passport. Some people seemed to be very concerned about that for some reason.....

Your “back home” semantics grate on my nerves. The more you want Thailand to become homogeneous with life in the western world, the more you’ll eventually hate it.

Insurance corporations would love your attitude. Lest bring in compulsory insurance, fines for everything or make sure the only ‘bread winner’ of the family gets so penalised he can’t even get to work..

You remind me of the guy who bought a nice house on a dirt road then complains about the dust all the time.

If your worried so much about corruption, don’t want for more fines or insurance corporate crooks scheming their useless premiums on to those that could never claim, with years of paying premiums like they do ‘back home’..

Don’t like the dust ? live somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaingman said:

Your “back home” semantics grate on my nerves. The more you want Thailand to become homogeneous with life in the western world, the more you’ll eventually hate it.

Insurance corporations would love your attitude. Lest bring in compulsory insurance, fines for everything or make sure the only ‘bread winner’ of the family gets so penalised he can’t even get to work..

You remind me of the guy who bought a nice house on a dirt road then complains about the dust all the time.

If your worried so much about corruption, don’t want for more fines or insurance corporate crooks scheming their useless premiums on to those that could never claim, with years of paying premiums like they do ‘back home’..

Don’t like the dust ? live somewhere else.

You brought up helmets.. Did you wear a push bike helmet when you were a kid ? It’s been law for ages ‘back home’. You survived long enough to winge without wearing one now.. See where your going ? ..Be careful for what you wish for. Thai ain’t perfect, but the western way of life is completely bubble wrapped, you know why ?.. because of insurance company goliath's raising compulsory premiums while getting government to ensure the fines and penalties we all suffer from, reduce their payout$..

Don’t introduce the trogen horse of infringements for profit$, there’s few places to roam free as it is.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Surely they cannot be serious? Not having a license, if they pulled everybody off the road for no license, they would be pulling thousands everyday.

And so they should and impound their vehicles as well . When they catch me driving while on the phone can i just tell them i was calling 1599 and had a qeustion ?? 

6 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Well near me I see a policeMan riding a bike most day's with just his uniform on with a peak captains police hat...  No helmet... so the way I see it if the law can't or won't do it . how are the general public going to do it..

I watched a cop in uniform at the police station ride away no helmet and going the wrong way on a 1 way street 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

The problem with checkpoints in Thailand is that because the majority of cops are corrupt it is open to bribery. Not at every checkpoint do they obey the rules. Like wearing body cams etc, they can be turned off. Just because there is a list of rules doesn't mean squat as you should  know.

If all the government officials and cops were not corrupt it would work, alas that is not the case.

Maybe if the police were paid more it may be a start.

As for carrying your original passport, which I believe you are supposed to, but I could be wrong, there seems to be some confusion over what you should carry as ID. But carrying you original passport around, unless you are going to immigration or the airport, is not a good idea, in fact a stupid idea. You should carry a copy of your passport, maybe laminated,  or a driving licenses, the reason is if you lose your passport it is a really big and expensive deal to get a new one and it takes time. There is a huge market for buying and selling stolen/lost passports in Thailand

I always carried my driving license on Koh Samui and that was always good enough.

4 hours ago, jerolamo said:

ho... you can also add:

11/ more than 2 people on the motorbike

12/ wheel slide because too much used and slick

13/ never turn the head before to change the way

14/ no light's working (even in night time)

15/ illegal motorcycle exhaust noisy and pollute a lot

16/ under technically controlled cars and motorcycles (some doesn't have break but have the authorization to go)

17/ leakage of oil

18/ sit back to thee pickup (so not only no safety belt, but just ready to fly away at the first problem)

19/ broken road

20/ no stop on red fire

21/ no stop on stop horizontal line

22/ enforce the transition to the entrance of a bigger way (can not wait... need to go first !)

23/ have drug in the blood

24/ drunk

25/ too old, can not see or ear anything !

26/ disabled

it should have some more... i try to not stay to much on or near a road.

4 kids on m/c no license or helmet among them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noah K said:

Can someone explain # 6. Illegal overtaking in narrow areas? Also not on the list of 10, but mentioned earlier is third party insurance? I'm not sure what that is either.

Not sure but does'nt it come with the m/c rego

• Thanks 1