Pattaya checkpoints are back! Police report widespread law breaking on the roads

webfact

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I'm guessing most of y'all would rather they just didn't bother at all, instead of trying to make some effort (where before they weren't making any).
I remember before they started enforcing the helmet rule. Nobody wore one anywhere.

But after a couple years of cracking down, people were wearing them - at least on the main roads and in the city. Far more people wearing them now than there used to be.
If they were to seriously start enforcing the 10 points noted in the OP, it would go a long way to making things better as well. Back home, if you are caught driving without a license, or without proper registration and insurance, your vehicle is impounded on the spot. They don't give you a small fine and then let you drive away (in the hopes you don't get caught again too soon). 

They start doing that here and people will start smartening up in a hurry. Hitting them in the pocketbook is the surest way to get them to start complying.

It was noted somewhere else that the public was supposed to report any officer that asked for (or took) a bribe in exchange for letting someone off the hook. 

The new checkpoints have to be set up in accordance with a list of rules the Police Chief laid down before the covid crisis and include things like the number of officers needed, where tables, lights and signs were to be placed, wifi cameras for the officers and watching the officers (so that their supervisors back at the station can keep an eye on things). If I recall, they needed at least 10 officers to man a single checkpoint (at least for a DUI checkpoint).

Part of the reason for that was all the talk about how people could get away with stuff by bribing the cop (or the cops asking for bribes). That is the main reason the Police Chief put a halt to roadside checkpoints awhile ago. Then he came out with the new rules, but right after that came the covid crisis so checkpoints were halted again.
(Probably more about not wanting to cause more financial hardship than concern about covid. They have no problem doing other police things during the crisis.)

I'm never bothered by the checkpoints as I never have anything to worry about. Some people here though seem to have a big problem with them (judging from previous threads about them).
I wonder if some of them are the same people that seemed to want to really, really avoid the checkpoints set up awhile back (last year) when they tried to lock down Pattaya. You know, the checkpoints where foreigners might be asked to show their passport. Some people seemed to be very concerned about that for some reason.....

"the checkpoints where foreigners might be asked to show their passport." Show their passport???? That is ridiculous, unless you are traveling, the only place for your passport is either your home, the hotel safe, or the immigration office.

There are plenty of other ways to identify yourself.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, YetAnother said:

only 10 ?

Still not using proper Breathalysers so who would want to blow into a tube 100 other people have just done. Viruses pass quickest with droplets from the mouth.. brilliant thinking on someone's behalf. Wonder if the actual bodycam picks up all the T money or will that be one designated officer with no bodycam???

Don't need roadblocks to curb traffic offences, just police major intersections and stop all the traffic light violators will half actual offences. Teach them to NOT fill up yellow box sections just to get in front of the queues or why paint them in the first place. Basically everything most Farangs already know and of course lets not copy them as we do no better or at least have been taught the proper way to drive although after being here a while its easy to forget... On their phones while driving a motorbike means they have to hold in left hand leaving the right hand free to use the throttle and only have access to the front break on all automatics and anyone driving a bike know the dangers of just using the front break to stop which is the only option with phone in left hand...could go on and on but little point ... TIT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The other morning I was out for my normal bike ride, traffic lights changed to red so I stopped at the front. The traffic coming in from the right of me started to move on green as normal.

6 motorcycles passed me and just filtered into the moving traffic... only one rider had a helmet, all the others including pillions nothing. 

Police have a hard job if the public don't care for the law.

Yes true, but if police started being strict with the law people would comply. Same in UK with drink driving and seat belts, TV advertising campaigns helped

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 5:04 AM, possum1931 said:

"the checkpoints where foreigners might be asked to show their passport." Show their passport???? That is ridiculous, unless you are traveling, the only place for your passport is either your home, the hotel safe, or the immigration office.

Agreed. I feel the passport requests are used to exert power and control over the person - a bargaining chip. What can police tell from the passport that is relevant to driving? Immigration a different matter of course. Traffic police should only insist on seeing a valid driving licence (Thai or International).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

DUI became an issue when the sentences for doing so became harsh/expensive, then especially when the insurance companies began to double your annual premium... if they would touch you at all.

In the UK, Drink Driving (DUI) is a serious criminal offence. This can also result in employers dismissing staff and professional bodies removing credentials needed to practice. It could also stop entry to countries such as the USA. That's in addition to insurers refusing cover not only for driving but even household cover too!

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

What can police tell from the passport that is relevant to driving?

If a person has been here over 3 months and has a long term extension, yet is using a foreign licence. 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, Dart12 said:

To make obtuse comments  funny such as yours, you have to get the stereo types right sir.

Try this instead:

The thai (locals) drive crazy fast smoking  cigs while on the phone with one hand, eating with the other hand...and with 2 additional helmetless passengers onboard  all with masks under chin. 

**I am actually quite impressed by this display of dexterity btw.

And to be fair,
But not to be outdone...The selfish Farang beasts as you call them (although they might say they are sexy beasts instead)

blind me with their shirtless Twinkie filled pasty obese old white bellies wandering aimlessly in the middle of the streets like slow moving drunk cattle after cheap charly-ing beers all afternoon making driving a bike for a normal lad quite the test.  And I know they are wearing masks because they are actually respirators they require to stay alive.

See? Poking fun at others isn't  hard.  there is so much funny and absurd here there is no need to make poop up like you did.  We all have enough faults that making up new ones is just too much work!

Now, excuse me, I need to get driving on the sidewalk so I'm absolved of any of the other offenses since sidewalk driving has not been banned per the notes above.

We don’t care what Thais do , we are representing our countries 

On 4/4/2021 at 12:10 PM, AMFWolfie said:

Still not using proper Breathalysers so who would want to blow into a tube 100 other people have just done. Viruses pass quickest with droplets from the mouth.. brilliant thinking on someone's behalf. Wonder if the actual bodycam picks up all the T money or will that be one designated officer with no bodycam???

Don't need roadblocks to curb traffic offences, just police major intersections and stop all the traffic light violators will half actual offences. Teach them to NOT fill up yellow box sections just to get in front of the queues or why paint them in the first place. Basically everything most Farangs already know and of course lets not copy them as we do no better or at least have been taught the proper way to drive although after being here a while its easy to forget... On their phones while driving a motorbike means they have to hold in left hand leaving the right hand free to use the throttle and only have access to the front break on all automatics and anyone driving a bike know the dangers of just using the front break to stop which is the only option with phone in left hand...could go on and on but little point ... TIT

does one NOT use the rear brake pedal on bottom of bike to stop....i was taught to use both in tandem to slow a bike down.....!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

what about m/cycles riding on pavements......???

Seen as an extension of the road by most riders, especially at peek times.

Come to my neck of the woods you'll see the pavements outside schools and large companies used as motorcycle parking zones... all lined up double parked in many cases, one against the wall, and the other curb-side, just a narrow avenue down the centre left for people to walk along.

Even the taxi riders park on the pavements here as their private zone.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, possum1931 said:

I don't carry my passport if I'm asked for id I've got my driver's license 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 2:02 PM, hotchilli said:

Got it in one, if the police enacted the law... ie fined people heavily or even banned them, then the public would start to comply.

As you say in the UK where I originate from, DUI & seat belts laws were never bothered about when I was in my teens... until later in my twenties then you started to get hammered by the police following the letter of the law.
In the end putting on seat belts was just a muscle memory [same goes for motorcycle helmets]... something you did without even thinking.

DUI became an issue when the sentences for doing so became harsh/expensive, then especially when the insurance companies began to double your annual premium... if they would touch you at all.

Time Thailand started to get tough and the police/courts started doing their jobs.

My wife's granddaughter and her husband was involved in a accident I took him to the police station later that night it was probably 4 hours after the accident and they gave him a breath test seemed to me to be a little late 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, possum1931 said:

a passport shows who you are and if you have a valid visa.......proving you are allowed in to the country.....this is on reason WHY !!!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2021 at 12:31 AM, couchpotato said:

Once I'd deciphered this post (still don't really understand the last 5 lines).

Anyway saying 90% of thai drivers don't have a licence is plain stupid. Maybe some farmers or people in remote areas don't bother, but of course most everyday car/vehicle drivers have licences.

I will concur that their driving is diabolical at times, and I usually drive defensibly (especially with motorbike drivers) as always expecting some crazy dangerous manoeuvre. 

there is a saying in Thailand "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED"

Busy setting up checkpoint when I passed through 10am today... Railway line Bypass Rd, Southbound, under the motorway flyover. Same Rd, Waterworks Rd junction.... looked like all directions but maybe only Northbound.

Edited by jacko45k

On 4/5/2021 at 11:59 AM, soi3eddie said:

In the UK, Drink Driving (DUI) is a serious criminal offence. This can also result in employers dismissing staff and professional bodies removing credentials needed to practice. It could also stop entry to countries such as the USA. That's in addition to insurers refusing cover not only for driving but even household cover too!

Yet Approximately 85,000 are convicted of Drink Driving in England and Wales yearly. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Busy setting up checkpoint when I passed through 10am today... Railway line Bypass Rd, Southbound, under the motorway flyover. Same Rd, Waterworks Rd junction.... looked like all directions but maybe only Northbound.

In kabin buri there are 2 main roads 33 and 304 they only set up on 304 north bound in front of the police station so it's easy to get around it 

1 minute ago, Mike k said:

In kabin buri there are 2 main roads 33 and 304 they only set up on 304 north bound in front of the police station so it's easy to get around it 

Yep, been stopped there many times en-route to and from Khonburi.