Summer storms and heavy rain to hit Thailand over coming days

Jonathan Fairfield

D03CB0BC-C7BC-4760-B230-496AC871DC2B.jpeg

Image: Reuters

Weather forecasters from Thailand’s Meteorological Department (TMD) are warning of summer storms throughout most of the country until Tuesday.

The TMD said that storms will affect the North, Northeast, East, Central and upper South, bringing heavy rain, strong winds and hail.

The storms are a result of a high pressure system from China which is set to reach Northeast  Thailand on Saturday before making its way to the North and Central regions, Bangkok and then onto the upper South. 

The TMD has warned people to take precautions against damage to property and crops. 

Sheltering under trees or advertising hoardings should be avoided, the TMD said. 

Small boats in the Gulf of Thailand and Andaman should stay ashore. 

Almost all provinces will be hit by the storms between now and April 6.

The news comes as Thailand this week was warned it faces its heaviest rainfall in almost three decades.

The Meteorological Department said it expects this year’s rainy season to start in May, much earlier than normally and that monsoon rain will bring higher than average rainfall.

Thailand’s Irrigation Department has been instructed to ensure that all major dams and reservoirs are able to handle the excess rainfall.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-03

• Like 1

Had a good downpour last night (about 20-25 minutes worth) here outside Prasat. The first in a month. Garden smiling brightly today.

More planned for tonight. Am cleaning the balconies & the downpipes ...

• Like 2

we have had a couple of good down pours here in Surat Thani over the last week  but not enough to raise the level in the dam very much, great for the trees and lawn though, gives me a break from having to hand water them

Forecast for here was thunderstorms and heavy rain, from 06:00 to around 13:00. What did we get? <deleted> all. Not even a gnats <deleted>. A few clouds, reduced temperature from the forecast 38 degrees, down to 35...

There was me hoping not to water the garden or a day or 2. But no...

17 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Forecast for here was thunderstorms and heavy rain, from 06:00 to around 13:00. What did we get? <deleted> all. Not even a gnats <deleted>. A few clouds, reduced temperature from the forecast 38 degrees, down to 35...

There was me hoping not to water the garden or a day or 2. But no...

Then you probably don't live just east of Pattaya.

We had a storm this morning, like haven't seen many in the 27 years I live here.

My roof overhangs are 1.5 meter, and my windows on all sides of the house were cleaned

In Udon Thani, got some rain Saturday night, but hit by a torrential downpour Sunday morning which lasted for over 3 hours. About 10-15 cm in total and a 12 hour power cut. Worst early April rain i have seen in 11 years. Still cloudy.

Got up Monday morning just south of Hua Hin to see flooding of front side yard.  My water jar dipping bowls show ~0.5 inches.  Distant rumbling thunder and a light rain.  Of course the float in the swimming pool reservoir might be not working.  The concrete concrete and tile cover needs two people to lift.

My weather app shows the potential for rain until the first few days of May, I really do hope that officials are watching those dams, the last thing we need is another flood as a result of negligence...

But yes, the temperatures have dropped to manageable levels, and the garden looks a treat ????