3bb + Asus AC86U... Bridge mode?

dannyb123

I recently bought an Asus AC86U to replace the Huawei router provided by 3bb.

I removed the Huawei router and connected the 3bb modems ethernet cable to the wan port on the Asus. I then entered the pppoe username and password provided by 3bb into the settings of the Asus.... but no matter what I do it refuses to connect. 

I read 3bb may need to put the modem into bridge mode? I called their support and they didn't seem particularly knowledgeable.

Yes you have to go in bridge mode. YOU need to enter the router that 3bb supplied. Put it in bridge mode. Then take the lan cable and put it in the wan port of your asus router. 

It should work i got that setup. I think your problem is that you did not get the huawei router in bridge.

• Like 1

I can do that but I was hoping to remove the huawei router from the equation entirely... and instead connect the Asus router directly to the 3bb modem. Is that not possible? Or does the modem also need to be put into bridge mode in that case?

I can access the huawei router at its ip 192.168.1.254 successfully but the black modem is not accessible via 192.168.1.1 whatsoever, Im getting 'this site cant be reached'. 

Edited by dannyb123

I had fiber so i could not remove the modem completely. I don't think you can use your router as first one. I do think you need bridge mode unless they set something for you at 3bb. Because they probably don't have the mac adress from your new router. So its a strange device trying to connect.

Just putting it in bridge will not make a difference speed wise you will get all the advantages you would normally have. However I understand why you want it removed. I think if you don't want bridge mode you will have 3bb do something. However I don't know if this is possible. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I had fiber so i could not remove the modem completely. I don't think you can use your router as first one. I do think you need bridge mode unless they set something for you at 3bb. Because they probably don't have the mac adress from your new router. So its a strange device trying to connect.

Just putting it in bridge will not make a difference speed wise you will get all the advantages you would normally have. However I understand why you want it removed. I think if you don't want bridge mode you will have 3bb do something. However I don't know if this is possible. 

I think the 3bb setup here may be different than yours. I have a small black fibre modem which i do not want to remove. I separetely have a white huawei square box router which is what I want to replace with my new asus router. Are you saying I need to put the small black fibre modem into bridge mode? I will call 3bb in which case and try and get access to it because currently its not accessible for some unknown reaosn.

2 minutes ago, dannyb123 said:

I think the 3bb setup here may be different than yours. I have a small black fibre modem which i do not want to remove. I separetely have a white huawei square box router which is what I want to replace with my new asus router. Are you saying I need to put the small black fibre modem into bridge mode? I will call 3bb in which case and try and get access to it because currently its not accessible for some unknown reaosn.

Yes I think our setup is different. My fiber cable goes straight into my router supplied by 3bb. But it still means that the mac adress of the router (huawei) is different from that of your asus router (perhaps if you can clone the mac adress it will work) (just write down the old mac adress so you can change it back)

But else just put in bridge.. though i like you would like to remove as much of it as possible. 

• Like 1

If you have a small box then I that doesn’t need to be put into bridge mode - 

You just need to connect your router to the box via Ethernet and enter Ppoe ID and pass - you may need to add the DNS - try 8.8.8.8 

what’s the model of the box?

Edited by recom273

15 hours ago, recom273 said:

what’s the model of the box?

My guess is that it is a Huawei HG8010H

https://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/20180424100609EchoLife HG8010H GPON_240418.pdf

Which can act as a router, but may be in Bridge mode if linked to another 3BB Router (make/model?).

3BB Router??? -->  https://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/20190417171152EchoLife HG8145V5 GPON Terminal.pdf

But yes, understanding the make/model of the fiber terminating box, and the "old" 3BB router would help.

I'd go over the configuration of the "old" 3BB router, maybe even save it, then replicate, or upload it, that on the Asus router.

Google:  Asus AC86U 3BB FTTX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

My guess is that it is a Huawei HG8010H

https://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/20180424100609EchoLife HG8010H GPON_240418.pdf

Which can act as a router, but may be in Bridge mode if linked to another 3BB Router (make/model?).

3BB Router??? -->  https://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/20190417171152EchoLife HG8145V5 GPON Terminal.pdf

But yes, understanding the make/model of the fiber terminating box, and the "old" 3BB router would help.

I'd go over the configuration of the "old" 3BB router, maybe even save it, then replicate, or upload it, that on the Asus router.

Google:  Asus AC86U 3BB FTTX

Thanks for that! Interesting!

When my 8010 GPON came it must have already been setup in bridge mode. I thought it was just a simple ONU.

When the tec came with it he just plugged in the fibre, and made a phonecall told whoever was on the line my account number and then waited until I had setup my unifi controller.

Even if you are comfortable with router UI, I would still get 3BB to come and put it into bridge mode, it’s not your kit to go digging around in. If the tec does it, then you know you are starting from a good place. 

There is even a post on the router from 3 years ago - again it’s a bit confusing (DHCP) but he also mentions Cloudlfare, which makes me think it needs a DNS before accepting the PPOE credentials. 

Edited by recom273

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

Thanks for that! Interesting!

When my 8010 GPON came it must have already been setup in bridge mode. I thought it was just a simple ONU.

When the tec came with it he just plugged in the fibre, and made a phonecall told whoever was on the line my account number and then waited until I had setup my unifi controller.

Even if you are comfortable with router UI, I would still get 3BB to come and put it into bridge mode, it’s not your kit to go digging around in. If the tec does it, then you know you are starting from a good place. 

There is even a post on the router from 3 years ago - again it’s a bit confusing (DHCP) but he also mentions Cloudlfare, which makes me think it needs a DNS before accepting the PPOE credentials. 

That was my original post.

After a while, my 3BB router dropped out of bridge mode for some reason, and try as I might, I could not get it to reconnect with my Asus AC86U.

In the end I called 3BB, explained the situation and they sent a technician who did it for me. I think that time it  required 3BB to do something from their end.

So I have the 3BB fiber router acting as a thru point and the Asus doing  all the work to put it  simply.

HTH.

Fingers crossed, been working fine since then.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 10:19 AM, recom273 said:

Then they should remove the login/password at the bottom of the router.

18 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

Then they should remove the login/password at the bottom of the router.

Why? 

I think for most users the ISP router is fine, if you need to forward a couple of ports for whatever purpose or anything else, then you will need access.

You can see that the posts here are of users who have trouble setting up bridge mode - if the ISP are perfectly happy to come and do this for you, why not let them? 

17 hours ago, recom273 said:

Why? 

I think for most users the ISP router is fine, if you need to forward a couple of ports for whatever purpose or anything else, then you will need access.

You can see that the posts here are of users who have trouble setting up bridge mode - if the ISP are perfectly happy to come and do this for you, why not let them? 

Its easier to let them do it, but for a bit more experienced users its not that hard. I did it a few times now. As long as you got all paswords and logins ready then its not that hard. Just my 2 cents.

Would i advise this for the average use... no way.. then your suggestion makes far more sense.