The cashier never asked me to use my debit card password

I have an active Bangkok Bank Be 1st Debit card ( Mastercard logo ) that I have been using for some years without any problems. Yesterday I was at a checkout in a large Tesco Lotus supermarket . I gave the cashier my Bangkok Bank Be 1st Debit card to pay for the goods. The cashier took from me my debit card and inserted it into the small desktop device and within a few seconds the small device printed out a receipt for my goods. The cashier then handed back to me my debit card and a printed paper receipt .  I was at no time asked by the cashier to input my debit card password , or sign my signature on a small screen , or sign my signature on a paper receipt , as in all my past visits to this same Tesco Lotus supermarket. I checked my Bangkok Bank account and the transaction went through . 

So I’m now wondering has some thing changed when it comes to using a  Bangkok Bank Be 1st Debit card at a supermarket checkout . 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Not with a Bangkok Bank debit card, but for smaller value transactions with other banks cards, at some outlets, no PIN numbers or signatures are required to complete the transactions.

Thanks for the info ????

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

For transactions under 1,500 baht a PIN is not required.

I beg to differ on this statement when I use my Be 1st Union pay card. All the places I shop at in Pattaya require a PIN for every transaction however big or small, but at some places for some amounts I agree that a signature is not required. The Be 1st mastercard could have different rules, but doubtful being the same parent bank.

• Confused 1

On 4/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, couchpotato said:

I beg to differ on this statement when I use my Be 1st Union pay card. All the places I shop at in Pattaya require a PIN for every transaction however big or small, but at some places for some amounts I agree that a signature is not required. The Be 1st mastercard could have different rules, but doubtful being the same parent bank.

Same, some PTT service stations not only require my pin but a signature also,weird.

The not having to use a pin is related, as far as I'm aware, to the "contactless" nature of your card. I don't know if Union Pay are signed up for the contactless scheme or not but, even if they are, your card will have need to be issued fairly recently to have the facility.

They might have run the charge as a credit card not a debit card.  Thus no PIN needed.

What kills me is when you do a PIN and the receipt prints out and says "No Signature Required"  but they still make you sign it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

The not having to use a pin is related, as far as I'm aware, to the "contactless" nature of your card. I don't know if Union Pay are signed up for the contactless scheme or not but, even if they are, your card will have need to be issued fairly recently to have the facility.

Here in Australia (maybe other countries too) it's standard practice for the customer to tap their debit card on the top of the machine and processed instantly within a second or less. No need to insert the card.

This is  standard practice, see it a dozen times every day.

I've seen comments on local TV that credit card usage in Australia has gone down a lot, Debit card now the card/payment method of choice which is better for the merchant and the customer. 

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Shops have difgerent rules and different limits. Some have contactless trnsactions, nothing to get stressed about.

This has been my experience. And I believe it is the bank that determines the rules, not the shop.

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Here in Australia (maybe other countries too) it's standard practice for the customer to tap their debit card on the top of the machine and processed instantly within a second or less. No need to insert the card.

This is  standard practice, see it a dozen times every day.

I've seen comments on local TV that credit card usage in Australia has gone down a lot, Debit card now the card/payment method of choice which is better for the merchant and the customer. 

I strongly disagree that using a debit card rather than a credit card is better for the customer! Simple reason is because of fraud and the amount of it that still goes on in the world. Let’s say someone obtains your credit card info and goes on a spending spree with it, you are protected from the debt as you can show a fraudulent transaction and your card /account is simply restored to the original limits, it has cost you nothing as it’s the banks money being used, thus the name ‘credit card’. If the same thing happens to you with the debit card, you could easily find yourself without any cash to support yourself due to the money and goods that have been bought from using the debit card number, by the scammer, being your cash, thus the debit card’. It is a huge risk using a debit card for transactions anywhere other than at an atm as the money being stolen is YOUR money and not the banks. I have seen people wiped out of money in their account by someone using the persons debit card info. In other countries, the money taken from your account is usually back in your account within 3-5 days of modifying the bank of the fraud on your account, however, in Thailand, if someone uses your debit card to wipe out your bank account balance, you have almost zero chance if ever getting anything back. My advice would be to anyone wanting to ship, never use your debit card anywhere except an ATM, use your credit card instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Falcon said:

...never use your debit card anywhere except an ATM

With SCB and other banks, you don't need a debit card to withdraw cash from an ATM. Instead choose Cardless ATM from your banking app and you will receive a one time code you input into the ATM. Then you get your cash.

Perfect, as your card cannot be cloned.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone know the contactless limit?

On 4/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, blackcab said:

The only problem is that there are very few contactless terminals in use at the minute.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, blackcab said:

By an chance... Do you look like a reprobate ???

(door was wide open, couldn’t resist !)

My UK credit card is not contactless but for the last 2 years Tesco and BigC just put it in the machine and i get a receipt without any signature or PIN being required. I must admit i am not really happy about that as if i was to loose my card the thief can go on a nice little spending spree with no comeback until the card is blocked. Also then getting a replacement card would be time consuming. As a result i usually just use the card once or twice a month to get cash and avoid digital payments as much as possible, onlu use online for purchases from major companies.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree. If the OP's card has a Mastercard logo, it can probably also be used as a credit card. The store just chose to charge the items instead of making a debit.

• Confused 1