Is there anyway I can sell this car?

There is a power of attorney form you can download from the DLT website. GF would need to sign and send to you in the mail. 

Most sales, the seller signs a POA giving the buyer authority to complete the transfer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

There is a power of attorney form you can download from the DLT website. GF would need to sign and send to you in the mail. 

Most sales, the seller signs a POA giving the buyer authority to complete the transfer

Thanks, DLT website?

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I think they require copies of ID and house papers and other things as well otherwise everyone in Thailand would be selling their mates cars!

you need POE, and car transfer forms, with copies of GF house book, id card etc, all needs completing by the GF, but leave all dates blank, as well as the named person on the  POE and transfer forms, then  posting to you. find a buyer then transfer at the DLT, maybe will need a Thai to help you out

Edited by steve187

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How about because that would be theft and fraud.  It's not his car.

It would only be fraud if he defrauded them. I assume he would be honest with them. If anyone knows how to get a title cleared it's a used car dealer... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You will find the "power of attorney"  form and  other necessary documents in

this file  Vehicle_Transfer_2.zip

If not Thai  then your girlfriend will need to send  a signed copy of her passport picture page and the page with the exit from Thailand page as well as a signed power of attorney form...in extreme cases the DLT may be particularly pedantic and want the cars blue book signed by the current owner too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How about because that would be theft and fraud.  It's not his car.

It would only be fraud if he defrauded them. I assume he would be honest with them. If anyone knows how to get a title cleared it's a used car dealer... 

As soon as he tried to sell a car that does not belong to him, without the permission of the real owner, that would be theft and fraud.    By definition, selling a car that he doesn't own is fraud, just like if he tried to sell your car. 

Did he say anywhere that he was planning on giving the proceeds of the proposed sale to the owner?

"If anyone knows how to get a title cleared it's a used car dealer... "

And without the owners permission that would be fraud on the dealer's part, also.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As soon as he tried to sell a car that does not belong to him, without the permission of the real owner, that would be theft and fraud.    By definition, selling a car that he doesn't own is fraud, just like if he tried to sell your car. 

Did he say anywhere that he was planning on giving the proceeds of the proposed sale to the owner?

"If anyone knows how to get a title cleared it's a used car dealer... "

And without the owners permission that would be fraud on the dealer's part, also.

I understand how confusing this must seem, but when I said it's only fraud if he defrauds them. Selling without the owners permission would be fraud. I assume if anyone would know how to get a titled cleared, it is a car dealer. Certainly it is something they know about. It could well be a relatively easy process. A car dealer would know. 

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You said that it is your girlfriend's car, where the money came from to buy it is irrelevant when it comes to selling it.   You cannot legally sell someone else's property without their authorisation.

Some one asked him how much. He responded by telling them how much he had paid. 

22 minutes ago, Eric1949 said:

Sell it to someone in a village, there not even tax/insurance/driving license needed.

So who cares about ownership.

I don't doubt one can find people willing the get involved in criminal activity for a small financial gain, but I think it fair to say that most people do not.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, Yellowtail said:

I understand how confusing this must seem, but when I said it's only fraud if he defrauds them. Selling without the owners permission would be fraud. I assume if anyone would know how to get a titled cleared, it is a car dealer. Certainly it is something they know about. It could well be a relatively easy process. A car dealer would know. 

A person selling something that does not belong to them, without the owners permission, as in this case, is fraud.  It is also theft.

A person attempting to sell something that does not belong to them, without the owners permission, as in this case, is attempted  fraud.  By taking the car to a dealer to effect a sale theft is also being committed.

The OP or a dealer doing exactly the same, i.e. selling her car without her permission, would risk the same accusations.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A person selling something that does not belong to them, without the owners permission, as in this case, is fraud.  It is also theft.

A person attempting to sell something that does not belong to them, without the owners permission, as in this case, is attempted  fraud.  By taking the car to a dealer to effect a sale theft is also being committed.

The OP or a dealer doing exactly the same, i.e. selling her car without her permission, would risk the same accusations.

Again, I am not suggesting he sell the car without the owner's permission. 

I am suggesting the car dealer can advise him on how best to legally transfer the vehicle the easiest way possible. 

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Again, I am not suggesting he sell the car without the owner's permission. 

I am suggesting the car dealer can advise him on how best to legally transfer the vehicle the easiest way possible. 

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? 

Why is it so difficult for you to admit the the "best, easiest" and, in fact, only way to legally transfer the ownership is to start with the permission of the owner, something that neither the OP nor the dealer has?

On 4/13/2021 at 12:48 PM, canthai55 said:

OP has never stated if the GF is Thai

Until this is established then all advice is moot

GF is not Thai.  I'm not selling the car without owners permission.  I don't know where anyone is coming up with that.  It's my damn car, just in my GF's name.  She will happily sign any paperwork that needs signing.

Now the people who are posting on here know what the situation is.

The answer you are seeking is in post #3

Be sure and check with the local DLT where the sale and transfer will take place.

Thailand has differing requirements for different DLT's - some take Yellow book, some do not for example.

Go get info from the relevant office

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why is it so difficult for you to admit the the "best, easiest" and, in fact, only way to legally transfer the ownership is to start with the permission of the owner, something that neither the OP nor the dealer has?

Do you nod agree that prior to contacting the owner you should know exactly what you need from them?

Do you not further agree that a car dealer could tell you exactly what you need to get from the owner to transfer the car legally? They would likely give you whatever form you need, help you fill them out, mark the forms where they need to be signed by owner. 

• Haha 1

Second hand car dealers do this all day every day.

Our blue book for the Teana has the original buyers name, the name of the second owner, and ours.

We bought it from a dealer. Never met the name in the blue book.

Am sure that a POA is given by the seller to the dealer, they agree on any offers to buy it, and the dealer takes care of paperwork.

Can't understand all this "You are stealing it" "You are committing Fraud"

Maybe best to look up, see which countries flag is flying from the pole, and act accordingly.

• Like 1