112 inmates and staff at Thai jail test positive for COVID-19

COVID_19-800x450.jpeg

Image: Reuters file photo

112 inmates and staff at Narathiwat prison tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday, health officials have confirmed.

According to Thairath, 214 tests were carried out at the prison, with 112 people testing positive. This included 88 inmates, 23 staff and a nurse. 

Narathiwat prison prison houses 2,334  prisoners  with  97 staff. 

A field hospital has been set up next to the prison, while severely ill patients will be sent to Narathiwat Ratchanakarin Hospital.

Thairath’s report didn’t give any information on how the outbreak at the prison occurred. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-04

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, topt said:

So now they have found those are they going to test the rest? 214 is less than 10%.

Probably not, that cost money as CCSA complained about with the migrant outbreak earlier. Just lock them down and go for the herd immunity in the group, same as migrant/factory camps.

5 hours ago, topt said:

So now they have found those are they going to test the rest? 214 is less than 10%.

Yes, seems so inefficient.  Everything is done on the cheap here.  In any case its frightening with thr staff being out in the general public.  Its a large prison.

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

112 inmates and staff at Narathiwat prison tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday, health officials have confirmed

What can one say... procedures not adhered to?

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I agree completely.  With Songkran coming this government better be getting ready for many field hospitals, but then that is just my view and opinion.  There has also been no information to the variant strains they are finding among the infected.

3 things, Vitamin D, Magnesium and Zinc, that's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob4u said:

It's that's simple Doctor ?

Right under your nose Bob, but then again, I hear that there are these miracle experimental vaccines readily available out there, so knock yourself out. 

17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes, seems so inefficient.  Everything is done on the cheap here.  In any case its frightening with thr staff being out in the general public.  Its a large prison.

You have to remember, that its not only the Staff that are outside the Prison Gates.

Some of the Inmates will be doing Daily work details prior to release, the Inmates have to go to the Hospitals, and Dentists Etc.

Those on Remand have to make Court appearances, and there is the constant movement of prisoner between Jails for various reasons

Also the supply Personnel for the Food Etc will all be involved, as will drivers Etc

Potentially, this could be the worse outbreak Thailand has seen so far.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Right under your nose Bob, but then again, I hear that there are these miracle experimental vaccines readily available out there, so knock yourself out. 

Don't worry Sherm, you'll eventually get a chance to be vaccinated. 

I've gotten my double dose of Name Brand already.

14 hours ago, Bob4u said:

Don't worry Sherm, you'll eventually get a chance to be vaccinated. 

I've gotten my double dose of Name Brand already.

Good for you, (Sherm), really.

So you got your double dose of the Name Brand "experimental vaccine" approved under emergency use, or the gene therapy ones depending on the "brand" both with only very short term data available, the latter never having been used on humans before.

It's always good to thoroughly research things before allowing others to do what they think is best for you.

VAAE's is something you should have researched, i.e. what long term affects have been associated with vaccines, then you can make an informed decision, but then again, you made your decision and all I can say to that is best of luck mate.

• Like 1

It is a shame that after being so careful to control Covid which has probably  always been present in Thailand instead of waiting for the vaccine to be rolled out people have been given a long Songran holiday and been encouraged to travel around Thailand which means there is a high risk of increase in Covid infections and consequences of locks downs and long delay in planned opening for International Tourism.

• Like 1