Coffee Machine: French Press. Drip. Metal Pot. Which to use?

JeffersLos

I like a nice cup of coffee after lunch, our 10 year old coffee machine started leaking badly this morning, it's this style of machine.

httpss3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.compim-

It might be time to try something different.

I believe the other options are a metal pot that you cook on the stove.

xis-it-safe-to-make-coffee-in-an-aluminu

I don't know the official name of it. Or if it would balace on our gas stove element. 

But I'm interested to learn about them.

A French Press.

81Xf6uqaP-L._AC_SX522_.jpg

I don't really like these, as the seal becomes less airtight and the ground coffee starts getting up into the coffee you'll be drinking. Maybe a decent brand name would be different.

Paper Filter Drip Machines.

4-6-Cups-Drip-Coffee-Maker-Machine-with-

8bbc156a-4079-46ed-a78a-7f6c4d03ad15.jpg

In my experience the coffee has lost a lot of temperature by the time it's fully poured.

Which one is best? 

Moka pot for me, french press the coffee was always luke warm ...... no good, it's  gotta be burning hot.

Filter machine was OK, that had a heater under the glass jar at the bottom so was always hot.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan Dietz said:

so in your case the 'Italian style' Mocha pot will probably make something similar. It comes in a lot of different sizes, so surely you will find one that will balance on your stove.

I think I'll go with that style.

This one has it's own element, but wonder just how hot it gets, and probably just another thing that could break. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/moka-pot-3-cup-i1686024686-s6152966732.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!6152966732!277008220&gclid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8rbIv4dtPdiYIs0Baj1RcsaEusDn0Qa1ByVArYrb_0kT-KS3flm5ZgxoCaDIQAvD_BwE

I used one of those Italian thingies in my 20s. I associate them with beatniks. Don't ask. I would never go back. I think the coffee flavor is much better in a French press. As I drink it black I actually need to let it cool after brewing. For French press you should let the boiled water cool for one minute and brew for four minutes. Then experiment with grind, amount of coffee, and brewing time for personal taste.

Edited by Jingthing

Ground coffee into plastic jug (2 tbsp). Boiling water onto it for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Filter through kitchen roll paper in a tea strainer into a cup. Squeeze it a bit at the end. Done.

Edited by KannikaP

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I used one of those Italian thingies in my 20s. I associate them with beatniks. Don't ask. I would never go back. I think the coffee flavor is much better in a French press. As I drink it black I actually need to let it cool after brewing. For French press you should let the boiled water cool for one minute and brew for four minutes. Then experiment with grind, amount of coffee, and brewing time for personal taste.

I agree, water for coffee should not be boiling, for tea yes.

Several posts commenting on spelling and etc have been removed.

Forum rule.

"3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette."

• Like 2

I use an "Italian style thingy" https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bialetti-moka-pot-express-i1409124605-s4755754095.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!4755754095!256535548&gclid=CjwKCAjwx6WDBhBQEiwA_dP8rQ58a5EHdxfgOC2TR1_XbXk5b0y5VvlaKc05b0hQsxuBi3b_RCVVwRoCzwEQAvD_BwE every day, bought it 50 (yes..) years ago and still working, replaced the rubber ring once after I forgot to put water in the night before. They don't need extra filters but are a little awkward to clean. 

However when searching for rubber rings etc I saw that they would no longer be making these things and that the Chinese reproductions were rubbish. 

I might still buy one even so, if my old faithful ceased working.

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Thanks. How often do you clean it? 

I scrape around the inside of the pot when I see lime deposits forming, which is maybe not a problem everywhere, every 10 days or so. Steel wool.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I love you, I love you, I love you
That's all I want to say
Until I find a way
I will say the only words I know that
You'll understand

Try it with the Songtaew drivers here in Patts JT....they`ll love it ????

Percolators like the metal one you show burn the coffee so it is usually the most bitter.

Paper drip coffee, either from a coffee maker or one of those funnels you put on top a cup and hand pour hot water into, has the coffee oils removed so it is the smoothest and least bitter.  The coffee from the machine will be hotter than with the plastic funnel on a cup.

Espresso machines like you have use steam, not hot water, to extract the coffee flavor, never overheating and burning the coffee and leaving behind a lot of the oils.  It is usually stronger than filter, press, or percolator coffee but still smooth and you just just dilute it with hot water if it is too strong.  A bonus is that they can froth milk for a cappuccino.

French presses leave a few grounds in the bottom of your cup but the coffee is full flavored.  It does get a little cooler than with the espresso machine or the drip coffee makers.

If you like the coffee you have been drinking then either get your current machine fixed or buy a new one of the same type.

• Like 2

The "best" coffee is in the beholders eye but tell me of a coffee shop that makes coffee in other than a dedicated coffee machine.

In my life I have drunk instant coffee, from a French press and drip coffee and nothing compares with a proper coffee machine that I have now been using for 4 years, comparing very well with  bought coffee from any decent coffee shop. I use only coffee beans and grind as required.

I bought a Di Longhi Vintage from Homepro. My friends, visitors and we love the coffee I make. And when its worn out I will buy another one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I agree, water for coffee should not be boiling, for tea yes.

Yes I don't drink coffee much but I do like the bean grounded coffee now and again.

I drink tea mainly is much better for your health. 

Drip coffee it is for me.

I'm using a permanent metal screen filter. 

Fresh ground coffee is IMO important for good taste.

It loses a lot of flavor and gets this musty stale smell after a while. 

Those who wrote about a lukewarm brew, you must rinse and pre heat the filter and pot. 

Then your coffee is hot. 

• Like 2