Coffee Machine: French Press. Drip. Metal Pot. Which to use?

JeffersLos

20 minutes ago, mrfill said:

A vote for the Viet coffee pot here. Buy lots - they're cheap and bend easily...

1504041931_2014-02-0211_31_48.thumb.jpg.472efa860cb571c7424812d7328d238a.jpg

I have one too, but the coffee takes ages to drip through. By which time it's coldish. Or if you put in too little coffee, the water goes through too fast.

For Vietnamese style coffee, in cafes where a low cost implement is needed for every cup sold, they seem perfect. But I don't use mine much at all. (Maybe I'm not using it correctly?)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

a nice cup of coffee

A very nice cup of coffee can be had with the 'swiss gold' (Freeling) drip mug filter/pot.

Similar to the Viet coffee pot but much higher quality and larger capacity, mug size not cup size.

Obviously it all depends on the coffee used, but I would go as far as saying the Swiss gold makes a better cup of coffee than any espresso machine, dripolator, perculator or filter pot I've tried.

Another upside is they are completely self contained, no need for filters, screens or plungers, need no electricity, and very easy to clean as the fixed micro screen traps all the grinds, you just upend it to empty then wash/rinse.

11 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

A very nice cup of coffee can be had with the 'swiss gold' (Freeling) drip mug filter/pot.

Similar to the Viet coffee pot but much higher quality and larger capacity, mug size not cup size.

Obviously it all depends on the coffee used, but I would go as far as saying the Swiss gold makes a better cup of coffee than any espresso machine, dripolator, perculator or filter pot I've tried.

Another upside is they are completely self contained, no need for filters, screens or plungers, need no electricity, and very easy to clean as the fixed micro screen traps all the grinds, you just upend it to empty then wash/rinse.

What is the maximum amount of the end result coffee in ounces? I reckon not enough for me but I'm sure that is a good method otherwise.

A DeLonghi grinder and a Kinto conical metal filter work for my morning coffee slowish pour over.The aeropress with paper filters give the cleanest brew and easy to clean,good for traveling.The stove top is only if you like the Italian glass espresso shot size drink.The French press is fine but you need to read the reviews,a cheap knock off will be a false economy.Its mostly about the coffee and the grind allegedly.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

and whatever the coffee snobs say

Yeah, I always shake my head when I read the comments of those snobs, and that doesn't restrict to coffee, on the forums.

It's all in their head, because a good coffee depends on the ingredients you use, not the appliance

• Thanks 1

I consider espresso a different animal than filtered coffee. It's funny when going to a place like Starbucks, ordering any coffee drink that isn't espresso based (not to mention sugar and milk) makes you kind of a freak. 

I would agree that snobbery about anything (wine, coffee, etc.) is not an appealing trait, but there's nothing wrong with learning over time how you personally prefer your coffee. 

Edited by Jingthing

20 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have travelled far and wide in this world but I can say without an ounce of snobbery that I have never tasted a Starbucks coffee, and I hope I never will.

Actually their brewed coffee can be quite good depending on what beans they are using that day. I understand the objections to their pricing, what they've done to small Coffee shops and just hating big corporations.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

It's all in their head, because a good coffee depends on the ingredients you use, not the appliance

Seems to me both are fairly important, and some coffee makers make it easier to get decent coffee from mediocre beans.

The water is also very important but according to a podcast I can only hazily remember, it's not just the pH, which you can check with a simple meter, that matters, but the mix of minerals, so it's a bit hard to adjust for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onebir said:

Have you tried the metal filter?

No,I am not travelling for obvious reasons and plan to try the metal filter when I do,I also still have some paper ones left to use up first.I could also take my Kinto filter just need to find the right container to put it in so it doesn't get crushed or bang around too much.  

8 minutes ago, adammike said:

No,I am not travelling for obvious reasons and plan to try the metal filter when I do,I also still have some paper ones left to use up first.

Fair enough; mine was supplied with both, but I ditched the paper ones when I started using the Aeropress "upside-down".

Edited by onebir
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How do you know its not good if you’ve never tasted it ?

Seems like antiestablishment coffee snobbery to me !!! ????

I’m guessing most people are a vocally anti-Starbucks couldn’t tell Starbucks double espresso from another... 

Yeah its pretty darned funny to hear people saying that they hate anything without ever trying it. But I make an exception for balut.

To add, I'm not really a Starbucks fan. At home I make my own coffee and if traveling I'll do Starbucks if something better isn't obviously available. My last trip to the U.S. I noticed the Starbucks I was going to was a young person's hangout more than anything and I didn't really feel welcome especially not ordering sugar milk drinks. Oh well. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, onebir said:

Fair enough; mine was supplied with both, but I ditched the paper ones when I started using the Aeropress "upside-down".

Ha ha, I had to Google that, I will try it tomorrow.It also explains that pre soaking the paper filter removes the paper taste that some complain of. 

22 minutes ago, adammike said:

Ha ha, I had to Google that, I will try it tomorrow.It also explains that pre soaking the paper filter removes the paper taste that some complain of. 

????

Yeah, I kind of stumbled across it too. "Upside down" you can let the coffee brew as long as you like without it dripping through, and the metal filter's less trouble to place correctly. Works better all round.

I use a Pipamoka by Wacaco.

Makes an excellent cup of coffee. The coffee stays very hot in the stainless steel mug. Plus, everything fits inside the mug so you can easily take it with you when you travel so wherever you stay you can always make a great cup of coffee.

A bit expensive, but it’s the best coffee maker I’ve ever used!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Percolators like the metal one you show burn the coffee so it is usually the most bitter.

Paper drip coffee, either from a coffee maker or one of those funnels you put on top a cup and hand pour hot water into, has the coffee oils removed so it is the smoothest and least bitter.  The coffee from the machine will be hotter than with the plastic funnel on a cup.

Espresso machines like you have use steam, not hot water, to extract the coffee flavor, never overheating and burning the coffee and leaving behind a lot of the oils.  It is usually stronger than filter, press, or percolator coffee but still smooth and you just just dilute it with hot water if it is too strong.  A bonus is that they can froth milk for a cappuccino.

French presses leave a few grounds in the bottom of your cup but the coffee is full flavored.  It does get a little cooler than with the espresso machine or the drip coffee makers.

If you like the coffee you have been drinking then either get your current machine fixed or buy a new one of the same type.

Nice write-up except for one fact. Espresso machines use high pressure hot water to pull a shot. Steam at 212 degrees is too hot to make good coffee.

Because I am retired.......I make my single shot cuppas in an 8 year old Bialetti moka pot.......microwave up some milk while the coffee is brewing then spin it up with a whisker......add the coffee and lightly whisk.  You're working at a gram-level, so adjusting to personal taste is easy.  Because I am retired.

• Like 1

Always been the moka pot for me as I'm the only person in the house who drinks coffee. Never liked a French press, those pod machines are awful. A high quality espresso machine would be nice but impractical in my situation. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, Jan Dietz said:

'Best' is in the eye of the beholder. They all serve different purposes.

You had an espresso machine, so in your case the 'Italian style' Mocha pot will probably make something similar. It comes in a lot of different sizes, so surely you will find one that will balance on your stove.

https://shopee.co.th/Aluminum-Coffee-Maker-Pot-Machine-Mocha-Espresso-Percolator-Moka-Pot-3cup-6cup-9cup-12cup-Stovetop-i.250487524.3648507758

French Press will always have some coffee grounds in your cup. To use is properly, get a more coarsely grained coffee (and use a bit more). 

The traditional filter machine will make a luke-warm black water. Some Americans call this 'coffee'.

Spot on moka pots are the best. Im a bit wary of the super cheap ones on lazada though I know mokas are traditionally made with aluminium. With no basis in science I don't trust that super thin aluminium used in some cooking utensils here.

Edited by starky

14 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have travelled far and wide in this world but I can say without an ounce of snobbery that I have never tasted a Starbucks coffee, and I hope I never will.

Then how do you know it is not very good and that you do not like it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

How do you know its not good if you’ve never tasted it ?

Seems like antiestablishment coffee snobbery to me !!! ????

I’m guessing most people are a vocally anti-Starbucks couldn’t tell Starbucks double espresso from another... 

I use this at home  La Pavoni Europiccola EPW-8 Chrome and Wood 8-Cup Lever Espresso Machine |  Crema Crafters  the locally grown and roasted beans cost me 500 baht per month and I have 2 cups of latte  everyday. I grind fresh for every single cup. The milk is more expensive than the coffee, but the investment in this machine and a grinder was quite substantial, but rewarding in the long run. 

The prospect of paying $5 + for something from Starbucks just horrifies me. I was not criticising their coffee, because I have never tasted it.

• Like 2