More stability on my Isuzu V-Cross Pickup

PAV123

Many, including myself, complain about the instability of a pickup, they are a little too light in the "butt".
Have heard that some people put bags in the back of the load compartment, but how many kg are enough to improve stability? Where is the perfect weight to get maximum stability / performance / consumption?
100kg? 200kg? 300kg? Anyone know? Sweetspot?

Edited by PAV123

11 hours ago, PAV123 said:

Anyone know? Sweet-spot?

All truck were designed to carry weight in back and the suspension used is the problem.

People here buy trucks to use as a SUV as I see it and 4 door trucks are better rear handling empty than say a single cab 2 door truck with an empty back.

Putting 2 bags with 50 kilos of sand in each in the rear by the wheel arches would help. 

Our Isuzu smartcab is in-between and when its loaded its fine as far as trucks go.

We only use as a car now, so the way I compensate the rear end is reduce recommended tyre pressures in the rear, that gives it a better feel.

I will replace the rear shocks when it gets a bit older the air shocks are only any good when the truck is loaded.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Make sure the bags are secured so they do not fly thru the back window in an accident.

Only remember someone telling me as a solution I wouldn't do it myself.

Had a 4D Vigo truck and changed rear suspension to a softer one and the 29 psi front and rear was fine.

With the smartcab Isuzu it comes with 40 psi in rear 29 front so with nothing in back I put 29 psi in the rear to its much better and helps the suspension which is the problem. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Kwasaki said:

Putting 2 bags with 50 kilos of sand in each in the rear by the wheel arches would help. 

Agree with the amount but placement is a bit odd for many reasons.

Back in the 70's we used the same amount BUT tucked into the front corner of the rear section on each side. (FC Holden ute)

Reason there was, without it, the tyres would scrub and wear out like crazy.

So obviously arseend was skidding around, dangerous stuff.

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Agree with the amount but placement is a bit odd for many reasons.

Back in the 70's we used the same amount BUT tucked into the front corner of the rear section on each side. (FC Holden ute)

Reason there was, without it, the tyres would scrub and wear out like crazy.

So obviously arseend was skidding around, dangerous stuff.

Well as I said " Only remember someone telling me as a solution I wouldn't do it myself."

If people here want to use a truck like a car then buy a Honda truck, the only problem is they won't sell em in Thailand.

On my Toyota I removed one layer of the 3 layer suspension and added some adjustable air suspension, a huge improvement

and with heavy loads I adjusted the air suspension accordingly

• Like 1

My car isnt a pick up, but changed tires from height 50 to 55 rate, just little over. However i noticed it was less stable.

For now i live with it , but when i have to change again, i will go back to 50.

So changing your tires can effect stability, maybe have tires not that high you have now.

As mentioned also air pressure is important. If you have way more pressure in the back tires (because of load which you dont have) it effects when having no load. Pressure too high and you could be bouncing on the road. Mostly you have in the car a table of pressure and load. Have some less air in the back then. You can find table at the drivers door.

Dont mix up bars with psi, optherwise it goes wrong. Had college once and we were really bouncing ont he road.

Asked him what happened with car and he said he adjusted air in tires, but turnend out he mixed up the numbers.

We fixed to right numbers and then all was good. Just a little mix up in reading table. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Surelynot said:

Any increase in the weight (technically mass) being hauled will be detrimental to performance and consumption.......I do wonder however, why anyone needs to improve the stability .........it is a pickup......driven sensibly, stability would never be a problem.

Thais think they can drive them like they do in the TV adverts.... 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, jumbo said:

On my Toyota I removed one layer of the 3 layer suspension and added some adjustable air suspension, a huge improvement

and with heavy loads I adjusted the air suspension accordingly

Air Bags are the way to go.

Best of both worlds - soft ride empty and no decrease of load carrying capacity.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:12 AM, canthai55 said:

Air Bags are the way to go.

Best of both worlds - soft ride empty and no decrease of load carrying capacity.

I read that after-market or non-OEM air bags were deemed illegal in some Australian states as they interfered with the manufacturers rated chassis impact absorption mechanisms. At least one manufacturer states that adding air bag suspension voids their warranties.

But, TiT and YMMV

Edited by NanLaew

In an earlier thread, a member was asking about what sort of weatherproof sheeting he could put over the ribbed tray of the pickup for the erstwhile passenger(s) back there. I recommended a sheet of the grey, synthetic shuttering that's available in hardware and builders suppliers. It comes in the same standard sizes and thicknesses as plywood but is honeycomb section, waterproof and much heavier than plywood. It easily adds extra kilograms evenly over the bed and mostly centered over the back axle without significantly reducing the depth of the tray.

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I read that after-market or non-OEM air bags were deemed illegal in some Australian states as they interfered with the manufacturers rated chassis impact absorption mechanisms. At least one manufacturer states that adding air bag suspension voids their warranties.

Would like to read that - and the Hogwash they use to justify such a claim.

Air bags ride softer than a leaf or coil spring.

This come from years of running tractor trailers - all manufacturers use bags now.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:
3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Would like to read that - and the Hogwash they use to justify such a claim.

Air bags ride softer than a leaf or coil spring.

This come from years of running tractor trailers - all manufacturers use bags now.

It was on an internet forum used by tradies. If the air bags are fitted as standard equipment and part of the crash-tested vehicle than there are no problems. It's the after-market addition of them bolted to chassis members that's seen as compromising safety by altering what are deemed as impact-absorbing zones that is the issue. It's a safety issue taking precedent over a comfort issue.

Their installation as standard equipment on tractor trailers isn't the same thing.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks. Seems to be a lawyer-driven stance. The What-If scenario.

Product liability issues most likely.

They sure work good tho' - much better than the 15cm stack of leaf springs, with 5cm ground clearance, you see on pickups here hauling produce, etc

Can just imagine how they ride - esp. empty !

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Thanks. Seems to be a lawyer-driven stance. The What-If scenario.

Product liability issues most likely.

They sure work good tho' - much better than the 15cm stack of leaf springs, with 5cm ground clearance, you see on pickups here hauling produce, etc

Can just imagine how they ride - esp. empty !

And maybe it's the insurance companies lawyers.

I agree they are infinitely practical, even more so in an off-road capacity. Hauling fishing boats on trailers and the like. Things that you never see here.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Dont mix up bars with psi, optherwise it goes wrong. Had college once and we were really bouncing ont he road.

Asked him what happened with car and he said he adjusted air in tires, but turnend out he mixed up the numbers.

Yeah, right, of course that happened.   Assuming he mixed up 30psi with 30 bar, the tyres would have had over 435 psi.   That just didn't happen.