Bangkok entertainment venues face closure if COVID-19 situation worsens

snoop1130

4 hours ago, blacksuitdandruff said:

Word on the street is that c19 only  infects people after 9 p.m. 

It's actually not the virus being that smart. The issue is the percentage of people running around without masks in Bangkok after 9pm who think they are immune to the virus or much stronger than it. The number of such individuals exponentially increases at certain places after this time. This seems to be especially true for alcohol serving spots, that attract this subset of people like a honey pot attracts flies.

Actually, I do agree though, that there would be a better policy to "save the economy".  When I am in the elevator of my condo in Bangkok, 9/10 times I see someone without a mask, it's non-Asians, sadly. It's even observable on a nation level. The majority of Covid deaths are outside of Asia. I doubt this is only because governments in Asia and in Thailand are doing such an excellent job. It's probably also due a higher percentage of know-it-all, non-educatable, self-entitled and selfish 'people' who promote to stop mask wearing and other precautions so we can "save the economy". It's a bit ironic, considering it's this exact group of people that actively helps to create the clusters and with it the economic mess we're still in.

So, if it were up to me, I certainly wouldn't only implement the 9pm rule and I wouldn't only slap spreaders running around without masks with a 5000HKD fine like in Hong Kong (US$650).

I would ensure that anyone caught without a mask would be put on a party island full of their colleagues with free flow alcohol and no mask requirement, even before 9pm, and without the need to get a "gene-altering" vaccine beforehand. Ideally there should be a few people thrown in the mix that are confirmed with one of the recent variants that evolved due to such selfishness and which affect younger people as much as the elderly. It's just a flu, after all, so why not. This way this sub-group of people would experience first hand "how to live with the flu", as some other poster promoted in this thread. Anyone would also be allowed to leave again, after they have had "the flu" there.

It's fine if a grown-up wants to check with their bare hands whether the hot iron is really hot. They shouldn't be allowed to burn anyone else though.

This setting truely would create the environment they wish for, just for them. It would also ensure that we can "save the economy" like they say, and it only would be at the cost of those few on this island who actively wished for it. After all, it's actually them who ruin the economy by causing the clusters and spreads.

Gosh, it might even help save the reputation of the 90% of the non-Asians that aren't actively working on ruining life for everyone else.

Ah, sweet dreams haha.

Edited by pentagara
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

My god !

95 deaths on a population of 66.559 million 

- that’s an fatality rate of 0.0001473 % 

... the annual Thai death rate in 2019 was acc. to UN : 1.81 %, more than 12.000 times higher

... or the other way around: for 1 Covid death, there are ~ 700,000 people not dieing from Covid.

And that over a period of more than 1 year...

The probability to die in a traffic accident on one single day during Songkran

is at least 500 times higher than dieing from Covid in 1 full year.

95 deaths.........maybe because they closed down international travel (tourism), persuaded people to wear masks and introduced lockdowns restricting interprovincial travel......

What might the number of deaths have been with no action???? Let alone the numbers suffering from long covid.

21 minutes ago, pentagara said:

It's actually not the virus being that smart. The issue is the percentage of people running around without masks in Bangkok after 9pm who think they are immune to the virus or much stronger than it. The number of such individuals exponentially increases at certain places after this time. This seems to be especially true for alcohol serving spots, that attract this subset of people like a honey pot attracts flies.

Actually, I do agree though, that there would be a better policy to "save the economy".  When I am in the elevator of my condo in Bangkok, 9/10 times I see someone without a mask, it's non-Asians, sadly. It's even observable on a nation level. The majority of Covid deaths are outside of Asia. I doubt this is only because governments in Asia and in Thailand are doing such an excellent job. It's probably also due a higher percentage of know-it-all, non-educatable, self-entitled and selfish 'people' who promote to stop mask wearing and other precautions so we can "save the economy". It's a bit ironic, considering it's this exact group of people that actively helps to create the clusters and with it the economic mess we're still in.

So, if it were up to me, I certainly wouldn't only implement the 9pm rule and I wouldn't only slap spreaders running around without masks with a 5000HKD fine like in Hong Kong (US$650).

I would ensure that anyone caught without a mask would be put on a party island full of their colleagues with free flow alcohol and no mask requirement, even before 9pm, and without the need to get a "gene-altering" vaccine beforehand. Ideally there should be a few people thrown in the mix that are confirmed with one of the recent variants that evolved due to such selfishness and which affect younger people as much as the elderly. It's just a flu, after all, so why not. This way this sub-group of people would experience first hand "how to live with the flu", as some other poster promoted in this thread. Anyone would also be allowed to leave again, after they have had "the flu" there.

It's fine if a grown-up wants to check with their bare hands whether the hot iron is really hot. They shouldn't be allowed to burn anyone else though.

This setting truely would create the environment they wish for, just for them. It would also ensure that we can "save the economy" like they say, and it only would be at the cost of those few on this island who actively wished for it. After all, it's actually them who ruin the economy by causing the clusters and spreads.

Gosh, it might even help save the reputation of the 90% of the non-Asians that aren't actively working on ruining life for everyone else.

Ah, sweet dreams haha.

I would suggest to check the relevant peer reviewed scientific studies,

if you find one definitely proofing a positive effect against viruses ...

And: No Pain, No Gain !

Therefore, after that, check for peer reviewed scientific studies describing the negative effects, eg. :

- rising CO2 values in the blood

- breathing resistance 

- lowered training of the immune system

It is not for nothing that the regulations for safety at work in many countries restrict the use of face masks regarding duration, breaks and prior health checks ...

... could be, that guy in the the elevator did his home work

... and you did not 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What I don't quite understand is that the elderly are considered high risk and given priority with jabs [after officials] yet it's the younger entertainment generation that are spreading the Covid infections?

Shouldn't they consider vaccinating the younger generation who socially mix more ?

No because young people have a near 100% survival rate with Covid 19. Vaccinate the most vulnerable, seems like common sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The big difference is that 

a they closed the borders

b. they closed interprovincial travel

c. Thais are listening to what they are being told and doing it

The challenge in the west looking at North America is that each state or province seems to think that they know better.  There is no one really in charge.

Covid in the west is being treated as a political game not a medical issue.

Joe Biden is the perfect example 

open the borders all welcome

we can not teach American kids in classrooms but we can teach people that just walked across the border without any medical checks.

The same issues are in Canada but to a smaller scale  The 3 biggest cities in Canada just want to let things go the way they are until it gets too bad then shut it down.  People feel that they have rights that say it is their right not to wear a mask so that they either get sick or they make others sick.

You forgot to mention the for best example of politic use and scoring from C19 ......

a certain ...Boris .....(changing by the minute /situation of polls....???? )

As you mention Canada & USA.....then  he fits for  # 1 ????

Edited by david555

Just now, bougnat said:

Covid must circulate, when it is under cover it stops as soon as you lift the cover, it starts again. nature is stronger than humans and the vaccine is made more slowly than variants.

if only they had though of that before bothering to prevent smallpox, polio, whooping cough, measles and the like....could have saved an awful lot of effort

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Finally, Thailand's Covid response was looking like the Ever Given doing a U-turn in the Suez Canal, lol. At last we get some action to show that Prayut hasn't fallen asleep at the helm. Now just make the whole of greater Bangkok into a Red Zone and cancel Songkran travel, then drop all the daft plans to allow deadly foreign variants to enter the country with reduced or no quarantine.

I have had both jabs. I need to do a test this end then 7 days quarantine in Thailand with a further 2 tests. I pose far less risk than 99 percent of people in Thailand so why shouldn't I be allowed to return?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

I have had both jabs. I need to do a test this end then 7 days quarantine in Thailand with a further 2 tests. I pose far less risk than 99 percent of people in Thailand so why shouldn't I be allowed to return?

Not much different from the requirements in many other countries.  But, hopefully, it will be getting better soon!!

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What I don't quite understand is that the elderly are considered high risk and given priority with jabs [after officials] yet it's the younger entertainment generation that are spreading the Covid infections?

Shouldn't they consider vaccinating the younger generation who socially mix more ?

The older you are, the more likely it is to kill you, especially if you have underlying health problems.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's capital Bangkok will close 196 entertainment venues for two weeks

Why not go the "full Monty" and introduce a curfew from 8pm to 5am with police patrolling the streets to enforce the law, as in Phnom Penh, Cambodia?? No problems for those who need their alcoholic "fix", but only between 5am and 8pm!! Reference:-

On April 1, Phnom Penh municipal administration imposed a two-week-long curfew from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am, in a move to contribute to cutting off the transmission chain of COVID-19.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50834551/curfew-to-be-extended-if-covid-19-situation-does-not-improve/

16 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Really?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/03/26/more-young-people-are-dying-of-covid-in-brazil-heres-why/?sh=36633c47b3ee

Around 2,800 people under the age of 40 have died of the coronavirus in Brazil so far this month, more than double the number reported over the same period in February and almost triple the rate for January, according to government figures.

Any stats for the percentages of old deaths and young deaths? 2800 sounds a high figure, but when you look at the total number of cases in Brazil, (Second in the World table to the USA) i.e. 13,023,189 cases, and 333,153 deaths in total, the figure of 2800 "young people" doesn't seem so dramatically high.

13,023,189   333,153
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

"We will close entertainment venues in the three districts, while other venues where cases are found will be individually closed," Asawin told reporters late on Monday.

The 3 districts of BKK where they're supposedly closing the various entertainment venues are Khlong Toey, Watthana and Bang Khae. The first two districts include a lot of the Sukhumvit Road adjoining areas within central BKK.

"Bangkok. Order to close 196 nightlife in 3 Khlong Toey-Watthana-Bang Khae area from 6-19 April"

https://www.facebook.com/thaimoph/posts/281090973500813

Screenshot_15.jpg.6fefa551c19e29bbd13ee759e8ba1a76.jpg

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

"Hardly any" young people die from covid, although they are still at risk from long covid.....less than 400 under 60, with no under lying ailments, have died in the UK.

People over 60 are at a much greater risk of death.

Many young, healthy people don't even know they have had covid.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Any stats for the percentages of old deaths and young deaths? 2800 sounds a high figure, but when you look at the total number of cases in Brazil, (Second in the World table to the USA) i.e. 13,023,189 cases, and 333,153 deaths in total, the figure of 2800 "young people" doesn't seem so dramatically high.

13,023,189   333,153

Agreed.  But it's increasing.  Significantly.  As we know, it's not just deaths that are the problem.  It's long covid also.  And who knows what in the future.  Sadly, this virus will be with us forever.  Just like the Spanish flu.

10 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed.  But it's increasing.  Significantly.  As we know, it's not just deaths that are the problem.  It's long covid also.  And who knows what in the future.  Sadly, this virus will be with us forever.  Just like the Spanish flu.

Another point worth mentioning (I think) is that with a population of nearly one and a half BILLION, (1,439,323,776)  China,  supposedly the source of the virus,  has only had 90,329 cases in total. Step up  all you conspiracy theorists!

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

Another point worth mentioning (I think) is that with a population of nearly one and a half BILLION, (1,439,323,776)  China,  supposedly the source of the virus,  has only had 90,329 cases in total. Step up  all you conspiracy theorists!

They are the lockdown gods.......no one can lockdown like a vicious, uncaring, dictatorial government.......but maybe it worked???

• Like 1

So are the pubs and entertainment venues in Huay Kwang still open?   Was going to spend a week in Bangkok this week, but if no entertainment, I'll stay in Chonburi.     The official announcement was a bit vague, if you know what I mean.  ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heng said:

So are the pubs and entertainment venues in Huay Kwang still open?   Was going to spend a week in Bangkok this week, but if no entertainment, I'll stay in Chonburi.     The official announcement was a bit vague, if you know what I mean.  ????

None of the street bars on my soi have ever closed during any of the lockdowns......all owned by the police. They just drop a tarpaulin down across the front and turn the music down...a little.

• Like 1