Covid vaccine in Chiang Mai

EricTh

Does anyone know whether I can get a Covid vaccine in any of the Chiang Mai hospitals yet?

Has any expats here been vaccinated yet? Would like to know your experience and cost.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Does anyone know whether I can get a Covid vaccine in any of the Chiang Mai hospitals yet?

So far as I am aware, no. As of 2 weeks ago, when I checked with a doctor at Sriphat, no private hospital in Thailand is licenced to import the vaccine yet.

• Like 1

There are only 3 vaccines registered for emergency use here. The Chinese one, the AstraZeneca one that they cannot supply in volume in any current production countries, and the Janssen J&J one that they also cannot supply. You can rest assured that no private hospital will be allowed to offer vaccination before the state system, and registration for that only opens in May with a June start hoped for. But that depends on AstraZeneca doing what they have never been able to do, make the bl**dy stuff as contracted to do!

saw in TV forum earlier this week that the govt has approved all the vaccines currently used in US and Europe and China.  That should allow the hospitals to import some though the govt also said that the AstraZeneca would be the choice of the govt once manufacturing here begins.

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Think i saw some at 7-11, however will need 20 stamp books with doraemon stamps only....they wouldnt let me use my pickachu stamps ????     *(this is a joke gents..try to relax and enjoy life a bit)*

Very nice, can I add a basic question?

Can I get the AstraZenica vaccine for the first jab, then the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for the 2nd jab? 

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Can I get the AstraZenica vaccine for the first jab, then the Johnson & Johnson vaccine for the 2nd jab? 

As far as I am aware they cannot be mixed. If you have AZ as the first, then the second must be AZ also. I could be wrong of course, but that is what I have been reading.

Yeah, they are offering shots at our village clinic out in Boondockville Lamphun province.  They probably have them in rural Chiang Mai, you're just not hearing about it. 

9 hours ago, Surasak said:

As far as I am aware they cannot be mixed. If you have AZ as the first, then the second must be AZ also. I could be wrong of course, but that is what I have been reading.

Actually my post was a joke... (following the post, a joke, about buying the vaccine at 7/11.)

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Where is the funny part?

if you have ever been to a 7-11 and seen the fascination with thais and stamp collecting to save up for useless <deleted>........

You can please some of them some of the time, but you will never please all of them all of the time......enjoy your bitterness ????

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Surasak said:

The jury is still out on that one.

A UK trial has been launched to see if giving people different Covid vaccines for their first and second doses works as well as the current approach of using the same type of vaccine twice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55924433

17 hours ago, Presnock said:

saw in TV forum earlier this week that the govt has approved all the vaccines currently used in US and Europe and China.  That should allow the hospitals to import some though the govt also said that the AstraZeneca would be the choice of the govt once manufacturing here begins.

I think that article was very confuing as it was talking about which global vaccines would be accepted from tourists entering Thailand not what had been approved for use.

Am pretty sure there are only 3 approved so far. Bumrungrad wrote to me and said they were just waiting on government approval to purchase, and were working with other private hospitals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

The jury is still out on that one.

A UK trial has been launched to see if giving people different Covid vaccines for their first and second doses works as well as the current approach of using the same type of vaccine twice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55924433

I accept your post, sandyf and perhaps the BBC are correct, but it is not confirmed and wont be until the summer. So, can we just accept we are both correct, maybe?

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, scorecard said:

If the vaccine use the same technology, theoretically you can but if they use different vaccine technology, it is not advisable but we will wait for the experts on this.

Here is the list of different vaccine technology

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/emea/four-types-covid-19-vaccine-snapshot

Edited by EricTh

On 4/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, scorecard said:

Only if that particular staff member has a calculator... 1+1... ehr... ????

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, techno said:

My wife who is a community volunteer in Sansai is having her sinovac covid 19 vaccine today along with about 250 other volunteers under the age of 60 at Sansai Hospital

Restricted to medical and frontline workers then.

1 hour ago, techno said:

My wife who is a community volunteer in Sansai is having her sinovac covid 19 vaccine today along with about 250 other volunteers under the age of 60 at Sansai Hospital

How much did the hospital charge? 

Is it available to the public as well?

Edited by EricTh

Registration for the general public will commence in early May through on online app which will be available for download in due course. The stated start for actual vaccination is early June. But the programme of course is dependent on OAZ actually delivering vaccines on time and in contracted volumes, which it has utterly failed to do at any of its worldwide production sites. Of course when the Brazilian Covid19 variant arrives here, which is inevitable, all bets are off as the OAZ vaccine is ineffective against this variant. And who knows what vaccine will work against the Indian double variant which was found only days ago.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:42 PM, Surasak said:

I accept your post, sandyf and perhaps the BBC are correct, but it is not confirmed and wont be until the summer. So, can we just accept we are both correct, maybe?

Of course, a decision however may have to be taken much sooner.

In light of the emerging evidence of a possible link between AZ and Thrombocytopenia there may be for some the question of no jab or an alternative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

I wouldn't trust Sinovac.  Chile has vaccinated a large portion of its population with Sinovac and is still experiencing a second wave.   https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/chile-critical-grip-second-covid-wave-one-best-vaccination-rates-rcna505

India has vaccinated a large percentage with Astrazeneca and has a large daily case of 216,000 new cases yesterday.

It is now the world's second largest beating Brazil and they didn't use Sinovac.

Edited by EricTh