Water Pump

Raybangkok

My water pump comes on for 2-3 seconds every 30 seconds. The meter shows no water usage and no taps are leaking. The only noticable sign in the downstairs bathroom is the bum shower. As the pump comes on the pipe shudders for a moment. A local repairman is saying put a switch in the house and turn on the pump when you need water. He is saying it is a leak put a switch in the house and turn on the power when you want water. Has anybody else had this problem or knows a reasonable solution. Many thanks

Maybe not a tap leaking, but something is leaking, check toilet cistern, look in the bowl is there a slight trickle of water coming down the sides, could be.

Last year we had a similar problem, wife checked all the taps, bum guns, we found it was the toilet cistern, i bent the rod on the ball and problem solved.

• Like 2

Bum guns and toilet tank are frequent sources of leaks.

Particularly the toilet tank can leak without being noticed.

First thing I would do: add stop valves to bum gun and toilet tank.

Close and watch whether it helps.

Stop valves always recommended.

Buy neat/easy to handle stop valves:

stopvalve.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Definitely something is leaking.

Does your pump have a valve on the outlet you can turn off and check if the cycling stops?

It's possible that the non-return valve on your pump inlet is leaking and letting the pressure out that way (hence no meter movement).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Raybangkok said:

My water pump comes on for 2-3 seconds every 30 seconds. The meter shows no water usage

You have the pump directly at the water inlet (community water) without a tank?

I didn't consider this configuration.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Raybangkok said:

My water pump comes on for 2-3 seconds every 30 seconds. The meter shows no water usage and no taps are leaking

Apart from the fact that if you are not pumping from a tank you are breaking water supply regulations, you have a slow leak. If all taps, bum guns, toilets are definitely not leaking then either you have a cracked pipe or faulty joint. So either find the problem of fit the suggested switch.

Thanks for all the replies. I have all water entry points fitted with stop cocks. My water comes from a tank as it feeds 2 pumps one to upstairs and one to downstairs. The reason you can see movement on the bum shower is because it is the only flexible pipe in a house. I was hoping that as I had exhausted any relation to leaks I thought someone may have some electrical knowledge that may explain the pump problem. Not to lose face the service guy will say anything and to suggest fitting a separate switch you have to use every time you want water is crazy. Thanks again for your comments.

44 minutes ago, Raybangkok said:

and to suggest fitting a separate switch you have to use every time you want water is crazy.

Exactly.  Pump issues are rarely electric issues that can be resolved with simplistic solution.  You say you have stop valve at all points.  Have you turned them all off and do you still have the cycling issue?  If so, it is likely the NRV.  It takes 1000 liters to move the meter one unit so that may not be a good indicator for a small leak.

Edit: is the issue just with one pump?

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

Do you have a manual or automatic bypass valve (so you can get city water pressure if the power is off)? Could be leaking if automatic.

Time to post some photos of what you have methinks.

I think there is a small leak there somewhere, but you also have another problem with the pump cycling so quickly. The problem is no pressure storage. If the pump is one of those all in one units with the pump mounted on a tank this is how you fix it. Remove the power to the pump, from another tap on the system bleed out all the water pressure then close off, then remove the bung on the bottom of the tank and allow all the water to drain out, replace the tank bung and put power back on the pump. This should reduce the pump cycle rate considerably by using the air in the tank as a compressible medium to store pressure.

Cheers

Particle matter, such as blue PVC shavings or sand can cause trouble, even on a quality water pump. Crossy's observation I have experienced "It's possible that the non-return valve on your pump inlet is leaking and letting the pressure out that way ".  A non return valve can have the "gate open" by particle matter.