US Social Security @ 62 or?

51 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

For most people without a terminal diagnosis, predicting your own lifespan is a fool's errand.  Your friend with the eventual diagnosis of lung cancer correctly predicted his shortened lifespan in the way you sometimes correctly predict a coin toss.

His life, his prediction, his call...and he was right. 

It all boils down to a personal decision based on the person's beliefs. 

On 4/9/2021 at 2:07 PM, Berkshire said:

What if you had a wife but divorced her and she's taking care of your child.  Is the ex-wife now entitled to SS for herself and the child?

For me, SS in Manila wanted to make sure my wife and i were together via a confirmation phone call while together...having said that, the primary caregiver can receive the benefit as long as the child has US citizenship and you are collecting SS retirement benefits...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, NZAMBOY said:

For me, SS in Manila wanted to make sure my wife and i were together via a confirmation phone call while together...having said that, the primary caregiver can receive the benefit as long as the child has US citizenship and you are collecting SS retirement benefits...

There's a scary thought.

• Sad 1
41 minutes ago, NZAMBOY said:

So just to clarify, you're receiving SS benefits for your child AND for your wife?  Or just for the child?  And if the wife is currently not receiving benefits, I'd imagine she would get benefits in a divorce situation if she is the primary caregiver...correct?

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

So just to clarify, you're receiving SS benefits for your child AND for your wife?  Or just for the child?  And if the wife is currently not receiving benefits, I'd imagine she would get benefits in a divorce situation if she is the primary caregiver...correct?

A divorced wife is eligible for spousal benefits on her husband's earnings if they were married for at least ten years before divorcing.  

7 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

A divorced wife is eligible for spousal benefits on her husband's earnings if they were married for at least ten years before divorcing.  

You mean a Thai wife with no connections to US other than having an ex husband who's a US citizen is going to collect how exatly?

31 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You mean a Thai wife with no connections to US other than having an ex husband who's a US citizen is going to collect how exatly?

Short answer: NO.

This PDF will explain all the conditions that apply to those hoping to receive SS benefits outside the US.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not if the Thai does not meet U.S. residency test. 

This AARP article titled "Can someone who's not a U.S. citizen receive ex-spousal benefits?" covers it pretty well....partially quoted below:

https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social-security/questions-answers/can-non-us-citizens-receive-exspousal-benefit.html

If you are a foreign national living abroad

You may face additional requirements, depending on where you live.

If you are a citizen or, in most cases, a legal resident of a country with which the United States has an international Social Security agreement, you have no extra hurdles. You need meet only the standard requirements listed above to draw ex-spousal benefits.

As of February 2020, the United States had such agreements with 30 countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Uruguay. The roster is subject to change; you'll find an up-to-date list at the Social Security website.

Citizens of most other countries must meet a U.S. residency test to collect divorced-spouse benefits. Along with meeting the standard criteria, you must have:

• lived in the United States for at least five years, and
  • been in the marriage in question during that period.

This residency requirement has two exceptions. It does not apply — and you may still qualify for ex-spouse benefits — if:

• You became eligible for benefits before Jan. 1, 1985, or
  • Your claim is based on marriage to someone who died during active U.S. military service or a service-related injury or illness.

If you don't meet any of those conditions, in most cases Social Security will stop ex-spouse payments once you've been outside of the United States for six months. Payments may resume if you return and when you've been back in the country for a full calendar month.

• Like 1

And below SSA webpage addresses ex-spouse benefits "in general/on a broad scale" if they meet U.S. residency requirements, but doesn't address the less common ex-foreign spouse fine print talked in the AARP article above.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/applying7.html#:~:text=If you are divorced%2C your,Your ex-spouse is unmarried.&text=You are entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.