Thai Government SSO Q/A

kynikoi

I have had Thai government insurance for about four of seven years employed. My contributions are up to maybe 60k. B500 monthly.

I understand when I retire they return that in a lump sum and do not pay a pension.

I also understand I'm entitled to keep paying into the insurance scheme.

Is this worthwhile?

Is there a benefits list such as hospitalization? I get 1000 toward dental.

Is it throughout Thailand? I can move to Phuket or Krabi?

If I stop working in a few years what is the process to

A) get the payout

B) remain insured

I can't answer re the pension aspect but it is definitely worth continuing the medical insurance, which you can do for life by paying the premiums yourself after you stop working.

it covers both in and outpatient care in full for just about everything, no deductible and no exclusion for pre-existing conditions etc.

Private insurance will cost you ten times as much just for inpatient cover and have a maximum  limit.

You can use it anywhere in Thailand but wherever you are you must nominate 1 hospital and use that for all your needs. Local SSO can provide list of which hospitals in a given location accept SS. Choose with care - usually the largest government hospital on the list is the best choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I can't answer re the pension aspect but it is definitely worth continuing the medical insurance, which you can do for life by paying the premiums yourself after you stop working.

it covers both in and outpatient care in full for just about everything, no deductible and no exclusion for pre-existing conditions etc.

Private insurance will cost you ten times as much just for inpatient cover and have a maximum  limit.

You can use it anywhere in Thailand but wherever you are you must nominate 1 hospital and use that for all your needs. Local SSO can provide list of which hospitals in a given location accept SS. Choose with care - usually the largest government hospital on the list is the best choice.

Thanks for that.

I have my hospital selected. Same where my wife was born. Central Bangkok. Wish it were closer to us.

Could use more info about how to continue on and the coverage. They do have a number w/ English.

• 2 years later...

I have recently regained my SSO Article 39 benefits under the Voluntary Insurance system.

1. I've already given the SSO the hospital I wish to use and been told that's my choice has been accepted.

I found the sso members screens and I've completed most of the personal details, and that system accepted my name and my SSO / pink ID card.

But I cannot find anywhere in my personal SSO member's screens, or anywhere else in the SSO system a record of the hospital I selected. 

Can other SSO Voluntary Insurance members please share where to find a record of my name and selected hospital.

2. Do foreigners who move to the Voluntary Insurance system still get an SSO members plastic card? 

Also I found mention of an app available for my Samsung smartphone which gives a detailed SSO profile of me but when I tried to download the app I discovered the app has been discontinued.

Any members aware of a newer app for the same purpose?

Thanks for sharing, appreciated.