Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Thai baht: Good news for British pensioners in Thailand


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

 

Not everyone lives frugally, fella. Some actually 'live' and not just exist, like yourself. Don't worry what others spend.

Maybe some people don't like Showing of what the think they can spend.  😇 

Everyone Has his/her own budget thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great, a 'who's got the bigger dick' argument already, and we're only on the first page!

I tend to send myself about 2500 pounds each month so compared to when it was 39 Baht per pound I will receive an extra 10,000 Baht per month.   Better than a kick in the nuts 🙄🤣

Unfortunately some long term expats came out when the pound was 70+ and with prices then they managed on their pension....times change of course.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, petermik said:

You sound like a rather generous sponsor.....

 

It might include funds for monthly income qualification.......requires about £1500?

 

"In case, your embassy does not issue an income letter, you will provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular deposit of 65,000 baht into a Thai bank account."

 

 

Edited by Enoon
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, csmith said:

Wow … now I'll be able to afford to buy Bitcoin

 

 

 

 

19303EB3-6A4E-4AD3-B415-5D112DB6B3D4.png

12B2D08A-CA13-45E5-AD89-FE7382D41DFE.jpeg

And I thought that was a THB symbol. Confusing? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ukrules said:

I tend to send myself about 2500 pounds each month so compared to when it was 39 Baht per pound I will receive an extra 10,000 Baht per month.

 

Better than a kick in the nuts 🙄🤣

absolutely correct,dont knock it ,) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, salavan said:

If the idiots hadn't voted to leave the EU it would be over 55 baht to the £ now

 

Speaking of which

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-spain-british-ex-pats-airport-b1826005.html

 

Quote

My application has been rejected and we are on our way home – my wife is in tears,” said Costa-basted Brit Shaun Cromber, who admitted to voting Leave without “realis[ing] it would come to this”.

 

 

That aside, my cut off as an Aussie is B25 to $1 AUD but then I only holiday long stay in various bits of SE Asia (alas Myanmar no more ) In the between times I just stay at my place on the Gold Coast here in Aus. next to the beach.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, any improvement in the exchange rate is welcome .... I was one of those who came here when it 72/£

 

I always make a 65,100thb transfer each month (to satisfy IMM), in Sept 2019 I needed £1759, this month I only needed £1517 and if I had done the transfer a couple of days later it would have cost me even less.

 

And before anyone asks ... NO ... I don't get by on that amount ... unfortunately ... and I don't have to support my wife's family either... some of them are better off than me!   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why spend more, for the sake of spending,

i couldn't drink any more alcohol without dying.

i'm too old to bang any more hookers than I already use.

I already have a nice house, pickup, scooter and a M/c.

My fridge is full of bacon, milk and cheese, if I eat any more I'll explode.

All my party holiday countries are closed (Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines).

 

How is it possible to spend more than 50k/month?

How is it possible to spend more than 50k/month?

 

My wife can answer you this very easy.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I am here full stop, no exiting or sending millions out.

 

Got a better house, car, woman & way-of-life here than I could ever have in UK on my pension.

Good for you Kannika P but we are different perhaps.Married to non Thai over 40 years we have had over 10 years self funded no working without UK state pension retirement in Chiang Mai and  have another  condo  in Bangkok.

1.6m baht deposited for our  visa and being killed by pollution in the North which continues to get worse each year.  Another 2 years wait for UK pension but it is not the that,but with covid I feel a wandering retirement will be better for us. Thailand may still have it's cheap 30 baht noodles but cheap food albeit tasty is not enough. I am not saying you or us are cheap Charlies but  Thailand is no longer that idyllic place for complete retirement and flexibility will be my future choice. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, steve187 said:

that old chestnut

Yep......that old chestnut.......being roasted again?

 

JPMorgan's chairman and chief executive: “Few winners are likely to emerge” from the UK's decision to leave the EU which will make financial services fragment across multiple cities including Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin.

 

Mr Dimon wrote: "In the short run (ie, the next few years), this cannot possibly be a positive for the United Kingdom’s GDP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Yep......that old chestnut.......being roasted again?

 

JPMorgan's chairman and chief executive: “Few winners are likely to emerge” from the UK's decision to leave the EU which will make financial services fragment across multiple cities including Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and Dublin.

 

Mr Dimon wrote: "In the short run (ie, the next few years), this cannot possibly be a positive for the United Kingdom’s GDP.

If you want to discuss Brexit there are other threads for this...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

 But for those living in the UK getting vaccinated and seeing first hand how the EU is set on punishing their UK neighbour those  "idiots"  seem to be proved right!

Hoorah for covid it's a good distraction for  the Brexit  mess

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, petermik said:

If you want to discuss Brexit there are other threads for this...

Well that is very kind of you.

 

Shall I let salavan know or will you?

Edited by Surelynot
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 5:08 AM, Kwasaki said:

Depends how much the frozen pension is. 🤔

 

How about Thailand making an agreement like the Philippines has.

As an accountant, I advise people to stay on paper as resident in the UK so the UK state pension is not frozen.

This will get harder in the future with the corona virus vaccine and digital monitoring of people through passport number.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Cashboy said:

As an accountant, I advise people to stay on paper as resident in the UK so the UK state pension is not frozen.

This will get harder in the future with the corona virus vaccine and digital monitoring of people through passport number.

If you reside in Thailand and get your UK govt pension is frozen unless you go back and forth to England for a number days. 

From memory I think it's a 180 days.

I have never done that anybody who is found out and does not comply is breaking the law.

 

So to suggest breaking the law is breaking TV forum rules as well I believe.  

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cashboy said:

As an accountant, I advise people to stay on paper as resident in the UK so the UK state pension is not frozen.

This will get harder in the future with the corona virus vaccine and digital monitoring of people through passport number.

 

Lol monitoring of passport is "live" 24/7. Am not going into detail how I know but even a simple arrest warrant the very first check the Police do in the UK is establish firstly if the individual has a passport and secondly is it in use ! (then arrange reception committee)  That is even before they turn up at an address which you'd think would be number 1

 

Our Government via passport phone masts wifi usage and a 101 other varients can place us within 6 feet worldwide at any time. I can assure its true and if you think that Thai Bank account is known to nobody....think again lol

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Chivas said:

 

Lol monitoring of passport is "live" 24/7. Am not going into detail how I know but even a simple arrest warrant the very first check the Police do in the UK is establish firstly if the individual has a passport and secondly is it in use ! (then arrange reception committee)  That is even before they turn up at an address which you'd think would be number 1

 

Our Government via passport phone masts wifi usage and a 101 other varients can place us within 6 feet worldwide at any time. I can assure its true and if you think that Thai Bank account is known to nobody....think again lol

I can assure you the British police and the British courts had no idea where I was.

They used to call around at my previous UK address every 2-3 months to see if I was still there. At the court they announced I may be living somewhere in Asia (but appeared to have no definitive evidence either way).

 

As for my Thai bank account, I used a money moving company to transfer to a Thai bank account, then withdrew the money as cash and walked it to another Thai bank account.

They  would have needed 2 court orders, and a private detective at my first Thai bank to find my money.

Edited by BritManToo
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can assure you the British police and the British courts had no idea where I was.

They used to call around at my previous UK address every 2-3 months to see if I was still there.

 

As for my Thai bank account, I used a money moving company to transfer to a Thai bank account, then withdrew the money as cash and walked it to another Thai bank account.

They  would have needed 2 court orders, and a private detective at my first Thai bank to find my money.

You must be right as they never found Lord Lucan, hang on, is that you ?😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

i just get tired of the guys posting BS on this thread.

The British government is clueless at knowing where it's citizens are, even for suspected terrorism and other serious crimes (I was innocent by the way).

The thought that they could (or would) bother to try and track a pensioners whereabouts for claiming a full pension is a paranoid fantasy.

I have to agree with you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still would like to understand how the British pound can be worth considerably more then the US dollar or Euro? Is the Great Britain economy that vibrant to have such a strong currency compared to the US or the US? I understand about exchange rates but don't understand how the British pound commands such a high valuation. Is Great Britains economy that far superior to Canada or Australia, both of which are 22-23 baht to their respective currencies. What MAKES the Great Britain currency worth 43 baht to the  British pound?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved my immigration 400k yesterday and the saving against my expected cost has covered the purchase and installation of 2 aircon units

 

Now that is a benefit I will feel for a long time 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The thought that they could (or would) bother to try and track a pensioners whereabouts for claiming a full pension is a paranoid fantasy.

 

Nothing a computer / data base can't do in a matter of seconds.  It's not like Interpol would be looking for these pensioners around the world.  They would simply reduce or cut off their pensions.  

 

Actually, the easiest way is to cut off pensions to people that immigration records show are out of the UK, and then let them contact the department.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leaver said:

Actually, the easiest way is to cut off pensions to people that immigration records show are out of the UK, and then let them contact the department

There are no records that show who is outside the UK.

Unless you tell them yourself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There are no records that show who is outside the UK.

 

Advanced Passenger Information data collected for virtually all flights to/from the UK contains this information if someone wanted to access it for such a purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...