Motorcycle helmet advice

brizz

Hey gang, I'm looking for some advice on buying a large, farang-sized motorcycle helmet in Bangkok. 

I want to buy an open-face helmet. I have a big head (62cm), so most standard Thai helmets are too small. I've found two helmets that I like so far:

1. a Thai-made RD Random Air Force 1, which you can see here: https://www.randomhelmet.com/airforce-1/, and

2. the KYT NF-J, which you can see here, https://thmmotor.com.my/product/helmet-kyt-nfj-petronas-special-edition-2/

I've been to a couple stores and tried on a few things, but I'm looking to expand my search.

Does anyone have a big, open-face helmet that they like and can recommend? 

Can anyone recommend a good (preferably big) helmet store in Bangkok where I can go and try on some different models, and where they might have my size?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, brizz said:

Ah, good point. I knew I forgot something. I want to spend under 3000 thb.

My Shark cost 8,000 if I remember correctly but i chose to walk to the shop.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Look at "Bilmola", that's your price range and many of their models come in farang head shape.

A shop with a decent selection of helmets in the lower price range, including Bilmola, is "320sp"

Panda Rider has mostly more expensive helmets, you won't find much under 3k there.

Yes more than 90% of the proper helmets are out of that price range. Bilmola while in that price range, has no open helmet. The one that comes closest is the Explorer which is a flip up helmet. Maybe still interesting to the OP. Agree he should check 320sp for lower priced stuff. Forgot about them already. Another brand to check could be Real. Personally I wouldn't use an open face helmet though.

• Like 1

I just bought a Real open face helmet. My main reason was/is that I wear glasses and with that helmet I can keep them on.

I tested the helm before I bought it in a small shop on Sukhumvit. The shop is small but it seems they have only helmets and a lot of them. First they didn't have what I wanted. They ordered it for me to try and they sold it to me for a good price. I didn't even ask for the price before I bought it and it was cheaper than online.

This is the shop:

HelmetShop.png.5e4d74a8f2f08786a8bca9ff50916f4d.png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just bought a Real open face helmet. My main reason was/is that I wear glasses and with that helmet I can keep them on.

I tested the helm before I bought it in a small shop on Sukhumvit. The shop is small but it seems they have only helmets and a lot of them. First they didn't have what I wanted. They ordered it for me to try and they sold it to me for a good price. I didn't even ask for the price before I bought it and it was cheaper than online.

This is the shop:

HelmetShop.png.5e4d74a8f2f08786a8bca9ff50916f4d.png

Let us know how the size compares with another make you've used? how much was it? around 2k?

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let us know how the size compares with another make you've used?

Not sure that will help. 

I know I have a Shoei head although my Shark fits OK after having a small liner put in. So in future I either go to a Shoei shop or a Shark shop.

I do not believe one can buy a helmet without visiting a bricks and mortar helmet shop, for a proper fit, Unless you are buying a direct replacement. But even that wouldn't work for me. Medium shell with a small liner.

Edited by VocalNeal

I can tell you what not to buy, Index ID Venom...(1250 baht)

After less than a year the sun visor mechanism started failing and the sun visor started falling down, very dangerous at night...(it can not be accessed for any repair).

The main visor also not much of a scratch resistant, one small fall from scooter seat and a big scratch mark on it.... (though can buy spare of those for 200b).

It's also very noisy and a lot of wind turbolance etc. , I spoke to a guy who had KYT NFJ (from Vietnam), he was full of praise...( then again you never know...)...!

• Like 1

Pattaya, not Bangkok but if the OP is ever around Soi Buakhow, directly across from Pattaya City Hospital is a Westerner owned and managed double motorcycle shop (2 buildings on opposite corners) He has an excellent selection of both domestic and imported helmets, many in larger farang sizes.

Probably most of the worthwhile models above OP's price range but it's worth considering that quality design and materials do a lot better job protecting your brain when you need it the most. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Not sure that will help. 

I know I have a Shoei head although my Shark fits OK after having a small liner put in. So in future I either go to a Shoei shop or a Shark shop.

I do not believe one can buy a helmet without visiting a bricks and mortar helmet shop, for a proper fit, Unless you are buying a direct replacement. But even that wouldn't work for me. Medium shell with a small liner.

I know that I can use Shoei, Shark and Nolan and all fit me, so if Real was similar to those fits it would be worth a try

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let us know how the size compares with another make you've used? how much was it? around 2k?

I had the same kind of Real helmet for the last years and I bought the same size again. XL.

When I tested it in the shop it fit. When I used it on the first day I though it might be a little small and I thought I should have bought a bigger one. But after about a week now I think the size is perfect. I don't know if I got used to it or if the helmet "adjusted" to my head in the first week.

I bought this helmet, I think it was a little less than 1,700 THB.

https://www.real-helmets.com/product/detail/1/114/45

The two main reasons why I bought this helmet: Open face, I wear glasses and can leave them on when I put the helmet on or off. Second reason: the helmet has a clear visor and a second tinted visor. So I can close the helmet when I don't want the wind in my face. And independent from that I can close the tinted visor when I ride with the sun in my face.

• Like 1

One more important advice about buying a helmet:

Make sure you buy with with maximum peripheral vision. Some helmets allow limited vision to the sides. And even if we don't look all the time to the extreme left or right we notice movement in those areas. When the helmet is closed at the side we don't see the movements and bad things might happen... Better test it and make sure you have clear vision to anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Been using this model for around town use for years.

In white. / for visibility.

Liner is removable so can throw in laundry.

After maybe 365 uses,

just buy a new one and

leave stinky old one at shop.

Actually got knocked over once by a drunk 

and the L side of helmet hit pavement

and saved the day night.

Prolly will buy a new one soon.

????

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had the same kind of Real helmet for the last years and I bought the same size again. XL.

When I tested it in the shop it fit. When I used it on the first day I though it might be a little small and I thought I should have bought a bigger one. But after about a week now I think the size is perfect. I don't know if I got used to it or if the helmet "adjusted" to my head in the first week.

The two main reasons why I bought this helmet: Open face, I wear glasses and can leave them on when I put the helmet on or off. Second reason: the helmet has a clear visor and a second tinted visor. So I can close the helmet when I don't want the wind in my face. And independent from that I can close the tinted visor when I ride with the sun in my face.

It says fully removable, that's good, it's important this time of year

• Like 2

Most helmets I have bought need some fine tuning.

Identify the spots where unwanted pressure occurs.

Remove liners and visors. Carefully remove the fabric covering the styrofoam.

Judicious use of a rasp, and sandpaper, will remove high spots and smooth the fit.

Reattach fabric, reinstall liner and shields.

Good to go.

• Haha 1