Covid Vaccine - Is there an estimate of when private hospitals/clinics will start inoculations?

Thomas J

7 minutes ago, internationalism said:

prepare for the next year, taking any other relevant vax, which might help your immune system and prevent co-infection

Lol, next year, my businesses need attention in other parts in the world, I really can't just sit around doing nothing another full year 555. Not that money would be a direct issue, but global economy would just be done for real. I want a vaccin in the next 90 days, willing to pay quite a bit.

This is slowly starting to get insane, they talk about opening the country and none is done yet. I not fear the virus, I fear my freedom of movement.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

At this time the general public is not scheduled to start getting vaccine until June.  No hospitals have been allowed to import to date AFAIK and last word was that only AZ and Chinese vaccine would be allowed (although believe they earlier approved JJ but nobody allowed to import).  It is turning into a real mystery series with new plots daily.   To date less than 275k have received first shot.    

Lopburi -- you are 100% correct about a mystery series.  The blood clot issue surrounding the AZ vax makes this a double trouble issue for Thailand because of the manufacturing agreement to make that vax here.  As J&J has a manufacturing plant in Lat Krabang you would think they could influence the government to approve distribution of the vax.  If this continues to go slowly perhaps vaccine shopping in Hong Kong or Singapore might be an option.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

At this time the general public is not scheduled to start getting vaccine until June.  No hospitals have been allowed to import to date AFAIK and last word was that only AZ and Chinese vaccine would be allowed (although believe they earlier approved JJ but nobody allowed to import).  It is turning into a real mystery series with new plots daily.   To date less than 275k have received first shot.    

I was informed by a hospital in Sukhothai that I could get the vacinne in Phitsanulok but I have not checked yet.

50 minutes ago, smallgnome said:

Lopburi -- you are 100% correct about a mystery series.  The blood clot issue surrounding the AZ vax makes this a double trouble issue for Thailand because of the manufacturing agreement to make that vax here.  As J&J has a manufacturing plant in Lat Krabang you would think they could influence the government to approve distribution of the vax.  If this continues to go slowly perhaps vaccine shopping in Hong Kong or Singapore might be an option.

I'm considering the Hong Kong option, but currently 21 days quarantine going in is making the prospect pretty undesirable, plus wait between vax, (plus the 14, 10 or whatever days coming back). And that's even if you can get a flight to/fro.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, brommers said:

Quite simply the government is preventing private hospitals from ordering any approved vaccine. It is determined that the state system will be first to offer anything, but who would want what is on offer! The Sinovac vaccine is hardly good enough to beat the required 50% effectivenees barrier, the OAZ vaccine causes blood clots, is ineffective against the more dangerous Brazilian variant and is not yet produced here. So the private hospitals will be kept waiting until the state system is fully running, which is unlikely to be the case this year.

With all the vaccine production problems that seem to be occurring in different countries, and the late delivery and postponement of many existing orders, it doesn't seem likely that private hospitals will be anywhere near the head of the line when governments are still waiting for orders to be fulfilled (and nor should they). 

• Like 2

Today a "government" spokewoman said that the "government" was willing to consider allowing private companies to import vaccines.

“The government is willing to allow private sectors to import vaccines, and the Food and Drug Administration [FDA] is ready to issue a licence for private companies to import them,” she said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404662

Sounds weasely to me, as in nothing has been done, but someone is thinking about it.

2 hours ago, samtam said:

I'm considering the Hong Kong option, but currently 21 days quarantine going in is making the prospect pretty undesirable, plus wait between vax, (plus the 14, 10 or whatever days coming back).

14 day wait between last shot and flight back to Thailand. So 3 or 4 weeks plus 2 weeks, then 0/7/10 days quarantine in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Why would the government not allow private hospitals to order the vaccine? 

Dunno.

Certainly a question that Thais are starting to ask.

Some speculate that it might look bad if wealthier folks were getting vaccinations at Big Giant International Hospital, while the plebs remain unvaccinated.

So holding back private hospitals is the only option.

But why look for a rationale explanation when 'incompetence' will suffice for most messes here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Some speculate that it might look bad if wealthier folks were getting vaccinations at Big Giant International Hospital, while the plebs remain unvaccinated.

So holding back private hospitals is the only option.

But why look for a rationale explanation when 'incompetence' will suffice for most messes here?

You hit it right on the head.  So much better to get Covid from a "wealthy" foreigner rather than suffer the indignity of them getting the Covid Vaccine before you. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

At the moment there is just no vaccine available for private hospitals to buy anyway.  

If there is None to Buy than why the prohibition against hospitals procuring it.  I "suspect" that the private hospitals would find a source and perhaps make the government look bad.  If you look around the world, other "private" hospitals are obtaining it.  Heck, in the USA the grocery store chain Publix is inoculating in their in store pharmacies the same as they do for Shingles and the Flu 

Had my three-month blood test and cardiac check at Bumrungrad today.   My doctor said that the hospital was very frustrated with the government.  His nurse put my name on a list and said that they would give me a call when the vaccine is available.  Apparently it is available for select Thais but not available to foreigners.   

It's ironic that in the US and the UK, people are going nuts about racism even if it's just implied.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

If there is None to Buy than why the prohibition against hospitals procuring it.  I "suspect" that the private hospitals would find a source and perhaps make the government look bad.  If you look around the world, other "private" hospitals are obtaining it.  Heck, in the USA the grocery store chain Publix is inoculating in their in store pharmacies the same as they do for Shingles and the Flu 

And you would trust a private (commercialized) hospital in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Apparently only linked to very rare cases with low blood platelets. 46 cases out of 25 million vaccinated. Mostly women under 60 years old.

Ref. European Medicines Agency.

Past 24 hours:

UK now recommends an alternative to Astrazenica for under 30's.

Past Hour:

Australia now recommends an alternative to Astrazenica for the under 50's.

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

You hit it right on the head.  So much better to get Covid from a "wealthy" foreigner rather than suffer the indignity of them getting the Covid Vaccine before you. 

Might catch a higher class strain of Covid that's traveled extensively in Europe.

Here in the U.S. with 555,000 deaths they've had to step up their game with vaccinations.  Not too bad in about 3 months.

image.png.e206eb21854252d092f85adda95f8e6f.png

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

The vaccine being administered in pharmacies in the US was ordered and distributed by the government.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, placnx said:

The vaccine being administered in pharmacies in the US was ordered and distributed by the government.

Yes, and I fail to see the point?  If the U.S.A. and other countries can do it, why not Thailand?  Yes, the USA may be at the front of the line since many of the pharmaceutical companies are based there.  That still does not explain why the USA saw fit to distribute the vaccine to pharmacies throughout the USA and the Thai government is expressly forbidden even private hospitals from receiving it.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

That still does not explain why the USA saw fit to distribute the vaccine to pharmacies throughout the USA and the Thai government is expressly forbidden even private hospitals from receiving it.  

Can you give examples from other countries where private hospitals have ordered vaccines ahead of governments and have already had those orders fulfilled and are currently distributing those vaccines?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

... You don't think the numbers might be "manipulated" a bit to garner a bit of extra cash do you? ...

No doubt.  Take the money and run ... 

Primary cause of death:  Coronaviru$$

Contributing causes:  Run over by bus.

Edited by Damrongsak