Covid Vaccine - Is there an estimate of when private hospitals/clinics will start inoculations?

Thomas J

Look up this vaccine , NDV-HXP-S . If i have the chance to wait for this one i will . Don't know when it's coming but it is manufactured here in country and cheap and easy to mass produce , so hope it comes soon . Imho it will also not take long before it's being approved for private hospitals to order vaccines . 

4 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Look up this vaccine , NDV-HXP-S . If i have the chance to wait for this one i will . Don't know when it's coming but it is manufactured here in country and cheap and easy to mass produce , so hope it comes soon . Imho it will also not take long before it's being approved for private hospitals to order vaccines . 

“HexaPro”.  Should have named it "TexaPro" as it was developed at U. of Texas in Austin.

13 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Can you give examples from other countries where private hospitals have ordered vaccines ahead of governments and have already had those orders fulfilled and are currently distributing those vaccine

I did not say they did.  I said I SEE NO REASON FOR THE THAI GOVERNMENT OR ANY OTHER GOVERNMENT TO PROHIBIT IT.  Assuming the private hospitals can get it, so much the better for the public at large.  If the supply is unavailable, then nothing lost.  Obviously the government "must think" the private hospital can get it otherwise it would make no sense to disallow it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I did not say they did.  I said I SEE NO REASON FOR THE THAI GOVERNMENT OR ANY OTHER GOVERNMENT TO PROHIBIT IT.  Assuming the private hospitals can get it, so much the better for the public at large.  If the supply is unavailable, then nothing lost.  Obviously the government "must think" the private hospital can get it otherwise it would make no sense to disallow it.  

Then why is it illegal in the UK, for example, which has a quite advanced vaccination program? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-56294730

Edited by KhaoNiaw

37 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Then why is it illegal in the UK, for example, which has a quite advanced vaccination program? 

To "repeat" I SEE NO REASON FOR IT TO BE ILLEGAL.  The fact that the U.K. government or the Thai government deem it to be illegal only speaks to how ludicrous the policy is.  What could possibly be the reason to prohibit the distribution of the vaccine, except that they want to control the process and don't want private industry to run circles around them.   Common sense says the more locations that have the vaccine the better for the public.  Given the track record of governments running anything efficiently the public would be far better served with private institutions that are incented to provide service to its customers versus governments who are filled with bureaucrats that really don't care.  One only has to look in the USA at Amtrak, the U.S. Postal Service, the Veterans Administration, Medicare, Medicaid, etc add credence to how governments should be the last not the first to be in charge of the vaccine distribution. 

Edited by Thomas J

It's a waiting game at this point until they can start getting vaccine in significant enough quantity.  I suspect farangs will be expected to pay dearly for it through the hospitals and that probably won't happen until the rich and politically connected Thai classes get it first.  Probably around the same time they get around to vaccinating the poor.

Edited by shdmn

11 hours ago, smallgnome said:

Lopburi -- you are 100% correct about a mystery series.  The blood clot issue surrounding the AZ vax makes this a double trouble issue for Thailand because of the manufacturing agreement to make that vax here.  As J&J has a manufacturing plant in Lat Krabang you would think they could influence the government to approve distribution of the vax.  If this continues to go slowly perhaps vaccine shopping in Hong Kong or Singapore might be an option.

Yep Will be looking to pop over to Singapore and get the Family done.
Screw this crazy place while the powers that be try to fiddle the system to maximize lining their pockets.
After that will be abandoning this place for good with the family.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:15 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Lol, next year, my businesses need attention in other parts in the world, I really can't just sit around doing nothing another full year 555. Not that money would be a direct issue, but global economy would just be done for real. I want a vaccin in the next 90 days, willing to pay quite a bit.

This is slowly starting to get insane, they talk about opening the country and none is done yet. I not fear the virus, I fear my freedom of movement.

Try Serbia. Free for everybody.

6 hours ago, dutchweller said:

Yep Will be looking to pop over to Singapore and get the Family done

Good luck with that plan unless you are Singaporean.  Singapore's borders are closed and almost certainly won't be opening to unvaccinated people for years.

• Like 1

I am thinking of returning to the USA where my wife and I are citizens to get vaccinated and remaining there until Thailand allows vaccinated tourists to enter the country without any quarantine, possibly near the end of this year. The main reason I am in Thailand is the low cost of living, but I can afford a few months of USA living if that means I can sidestep what is turning out to be a fiasco in inoculation management in Thailand. I think Thailand did a decent job stopping the spread of the virus... but I can't see the vaccine rollout as anything more than a disaster. All efforts here as of late are pure theater. One of the main problems was betting so heavily on the AstraZeneca vaccine which has risks the other vaccines do not. Not sure about the Sinovac vaccine but I'd prefer Pfizer, Moderna or J&J and there is no timeline when that'll be available here. However vaccine or not I'd like the situation to simmer down in the USA a bit more before taking that step.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I am thinking of returning to the USA where my wife and I are citizens to get vaccinated

Remember to allocate at least 5 - 6 weeks in the U.S., to get both shots, and wait 14 days extra to qualify to return to Thailand as "Vaccinated". In reality, it might be ~ 8 weeks as you coordinate the return (CoE paperwork).

And returning to Thailand on a re-entry permit may (will?) incur insurance requirements (both COID and Health) for the duration of your current extension.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I am thinking of returning to the USA where my wife and I are citizens to get vaccinated and remaining there until Thailand allows vaccinated tourists

I'm doing the same.  Returning next week.  Virus transmission is already quite low in most states.  There are just a few states making the national numbers look worse.  The pandemic should be completely over in the US by June, and it will be a great summer for travel in the US.

20 hours ago, smallgnome said:

Lopburi -- you are 100% correct about a mystery series.  The blood clot issue surrounding the AZ vax makes this a double trouble issue for Thailand because of the manufacturing agreement to make that vax here.  As J&J has a manufacturing plant in Lat Krabang you would think they could influence the government to approve distribution of the vax.  If this continues to go slowly perhaps vaccine shopping in Hong Kong or Singapore might be an option.

I don't think you will have any luck in 

sg as they are still busy inoculating their own residents til end of the year at least. No private options, only government runned vaccination program. 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:09 PM, internationalism said:

prepare for the next year, taking any other relevant vax, which might help your immune system and prevent co-infection

What about Sputnik it was 1st in space no seriously thais will get it 1st us farlangs come last in thailand , thais would hate to see a news report speaking to a farlang who got it before a thai but I think it will take years to get the vaccine here , the thai philosophy is if all darling tourists have been vaccinated then thais won't need it and save the ones in charge millions instead of buying the vaccine 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:03 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

I am trying to find out the same thing as of thong lor random getting vaccins now. Feels like it is smarter to pay and get it upfront myself but I have no leads yet. Following for that reason.

None also , thai philosophy is , don't think too much it hurts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

I'm doing the same.  Returning next week.  Virus transmission is already quite low in most states.  There are just a few states making the national numbers look worse.  The pandemic should be completely over in the US by June, and it will be a great summer for travel in the US.

June of when? I think your optimism is based on blind hope. Your low numbers in USA are still miles higher than other countries. You also have issues of getting everyone vaccinated because it's not mandatory and there's always non believers dragging their feet to do so. Even if everyone does get inoculated, it doesn't mean the pandemic will be over in two months because of lower efficacy rates to newer virus strains. Anyone who believe the pandemic won't last for years would be lying to themselves. There, I just ruined your dream summer that was non existent in the first place. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lks7689 said:

There, I just ruined your dream summer that was non existent in the first place. 

Meh.

Most of your screed is unrelated to the returning to the U.S. to get a vaccine.

Vaccines are widely available, walk-in now in many locales.

I'd return end June/early July, if only to visit family and friends, maybe for 10-14 days as usual, but I don't want to spend 6 - 8 weeks there.

This all assumes one wants or needs to get a vaccination sooner (in the U.S.) rather than later never (here).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thomas J said:

To "repeat" I SEE NO REASON FOR IT TO BE ILLEGAL.  The fact that the U.K. government or the Thai government deem it to be illegal only speaks to how ludicrous the policy is.  What could possibly be the reason to prohibit the distribution of the vaccine, except that they want to control the process and don't want private industry to run circles around them.   Common sense says the more locations that have the vaccine the better for the public.  Given the track record of governments running anything efficiently the public would be far better served with private institutions that are incented to provide service to its customers versus governments who are filled with bureaucrats that really don't care.  One only has to look in the USA at Amtrak, the U.S. Postal Service, the Veterans Administration, Medicare, Medicaid, etc add credence to how governments should be the last not the first to be in charge of the vaccine distribution. 

Fine, you're making an ideological point. IMO private companies should not be allowed anywhere near public health to make a profit. We can agree to disagree.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

1 hour ago, lks7689 said:

June of when? I think your optimism is based on blind hope.

Its based on science-- Projections from IHME which have been amazingly accurate throughout the pandemic.  All three vaccines approved in the US are highly effective against all known variants. 

7F18CB45-0644-4F7E-8DE5-303DD7A3DE62.thumb.jpeg.f93a6e59132a31b910b52bd0ca56999d.jpeg

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this info. I have tried to be open-minded re: the Sinovac vaccine from China, But I recently read this making me VERY skeptical about it:

So far progress has been slow.  Gao <deleted>, head of China’s Disease Control, said that 142 million first doses had been prepared, but that was still less than 10 percent of the country’s population.  He added that there was also strong resistance in China to vaccination, especially amongst the medical profession and highly educated people.

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Yes, and I fail to see the point?  If the U.S.A. and other countries can do it, why not Thailand?  Yes, the USA may be at the front of the line since many of the pharmaceutical companies are based there.  That still does not explain why the USA saw fit to distribute the vaccine to pharmacies throughout the USA and the Thai government is expressly forbidden even private hospitals from receiving it.  

The point is that these pharmacies are not going out independently and getting vaccines. Especially in the Third World, there could be fake vaccines circulating.

17 hours ago, Thomas J said:

You should realize that this is a public health issue. It goes beyond individuals and their ideological preferences. When we get Covid vaccinations, we hopefully get some official document and the jab registered in a database.

Breaking news just in!!

Private hospitals can buy Covid vaccine of their choosing

Private hospitals can buy 10 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine, in addition to the government's purchases, to help create herd immunity, a senior spokesman said on Friday.

Sorry can't quote this newspaper, not allowed.

• Like 2

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha instructed government agencies to facilitate the private sector’s efforts to procure coronavirus vaccines, the government said on Friday.  

Government red tape had previously hindered efforts by private hospitals to acquire vaccines with the the public health ministry dragging its feet on approving private acquisition.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26343/private-hospitals-given-green-light-to-acquire-vaccines-on-their-own/

From my experience it depends on who you talk to. I have contacted a few private hospitals in Bangkok regarding the vaccine. And unfortunately, they all seem to give a different explanation. But they all put your name on a list for to be called when they receive it. Like a survey type of thing.  At the private hospital I go to in Bangkok I had an appointment today.  For example, I asked the doctor about the vaccine and how the hospital will get it. She said they have to get the vaccine from the government, not from an approved company directly. And I asked, if she was familiar with the import license procedure. She said she was familiar with it, but her explanation confused me.

I personally would think if a hospital is granted an import license they make the purchase directly from the company. If the hospital gets the vaccine or anything from the government.  Why would they need an import license?  They are not importing anything.

Unfortunately I go to doctors too often, because I have quite a few health issues. Each doctor I ask seems to have their own version of what is going on.  I was hoping the doctors would know. But it appears its based on their individual speculation. 

As mentioned the government road block seems to have been lifted (thanks perhaps to media coverage) - but it is so late in the game that obtaining source for supplies will likely be a real issue.  There is a world wide shortage and that is not likely to change any time soon (although resistance to some might make them more available on commercial market at some point).

On 4/9/2021 at 4:44 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Breaking news just in!!

Private hospitals can buy Covid vaccine of their choosing

Private hospitals can buy 10 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine, in addition to the government's purchases, to help create herd immunity, a senior spokesman said on Friday.

Sorry can't quote this newspaper, not allowed.

They can buy the ones currently approved.  If not, they have to apply for FDA approval.  Which could take a long time.

In the Post today, they said due to supply issues, don't expect J&J to be here until the end of the year.  At the earliest.  AZ should start rolling out in June.  Sinovac has supply issues also.

With that being said, it's the variants that worry me.  Some jabs are good with them, others not so much.  And new variants are being discovered all the time. Ugh.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-vaccines-efficacy-variants-south-africa-uk-brazil-2021-3

Screenshot 2021-04-11 072751.jpg

• Like 1

According to an article in the NYT, the NDV-HXP-S vaccine just entered phase 1 trials in March so it will not be available for months.  It was cute of the government to say that they would have a vaccine for Thais made by Thais. IMHO, it is important to have any vaccine that will prevent illness and death available ASAP.  Local manufacture and local profit should be less important than saving lives.  I will not forget that Thai lives are being prioritized over foreign lives.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1