Thailand braced for infections spike after detecting UK COVID-19 variant

snoop1130

Note: this is not a vaccination facility. I spent all day at the "temporary" office for 90 days reporting, at least 700 people here, located on the parking lot, all foreigners. so much got social distancing. i bet at least one of those who passed through this "facility" in last few days was caring some king of strain. Sorry, should've post it as a different topic, but feels like a good reply to this one

20210407_134523.jpg

20210407_134053.jpg

20210407_131712.jpg

Edited by MasterBaker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Phaser said:

Sooooo I hear that there are very effective vaccines that can stop this in its tracks .....somehow Thailand isn’t distributing any ????????????????

Sarcasm I take it.  There are no vaccines which can stop it. Only lessen the effects if one is infected.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Nothing wrong with the AZ vaccine if it’s on offer where I live I will be the first in line rather that than the Chinese or Russian vaccines 

Some experts might disagree with you.  The Russian jab is pretty good.  Chinese one is so so, but uses traditional tech.  Unlike the others, where the long term implications are unknown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/world/europe/Britain-european-union-astrazeneca.html

AstraZeneca Vaccine Faces New Setbacks in U.K. and European Union

Britain said it would give alternative shots to people under 30, while the European regulator said it had found a ‘possible link’ with rare blood clots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Would be better to concentrate vaccinating Thai population with Brit vaccine rather than making silly comments

ok, I'll get right back on that. Dork Especially since the brit vaccine is working so well on variants. ????

Edited by mrwebb8825
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, malibukid said:

and they are all coming up to CM

Wedding party of over 100 so far from Bangkok in the hotel I am in.  Just confirmed with the restaurant on-site as they are catering the meals.  So yes many are in CM already from BKK.  We are heading back in the morning to BKK.

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Not quite correct. The Pfizer vaccine was able to prevent a very high percentage of infections. Look at the Israeli roll out data. Moderna should be about  the same.

Preventing a high number unfortunately is not the same as stopping it all Rabas.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

ok, I'll get right back on that. Dork Especially since the brit vaccine is working so well on variants. ????

The UK vaccine seems to be working well against the virus in the UK as the numbers have been falling for months

Just take a minute to look it up online

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-coronavirus-vaccines-work-variants-t-cells-2021-4

Fauci says vaccines likely work against coronavirus variants: 'I don't believe that there's anything to panic about'

That's because of a new study on T cells — a type of white blood cell that plays a key role in our immune systems — led by researchers at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which Fauci directs.

The results showed that people who'd recovered from the original, or "wild type," version of the coronavirus had T cells that could recognize the variants first found in South Africa, Brazil, and the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"We did everything to block it, and it still gets through," Yong Poovorawan, a government expert and virologist at Chulalongkorn University, told a health ministry briefing.

Hahaha...  more than 3000 people went to the Cafe del Mar and Illusion parties on Phuket 5 days ago and the first cases are now found.  3000+ partying in confined spaces doesn't sound to me as if they did everything to block it...

Watch this space...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, anchadian said:

@juliamacfarlane  foreign affairs reporter
·
A new study in Chile where the vaccine rollout has mostly relied on China's Coronvac vaccine, shows that the first shot alone does not offer protection against COVID19. It might explain why Chile's infection rate is still so high despite being one of the most vaccinated countries

Did the new study say how many inoculated got infected and how many of those died?

Vaccines do not provide 100% protection from getting infected. They do prevent against severe symptoms and death and greatly reduces transmission.

Edited by hioctane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

Note: this is not a vaccination facility. I spent all day at the "temporary" office for 90 days reporting, at least 700 people here, located on the parking lot, all foreigners. so much got social distancing. i bet at least one of those who passed through this "facility" in last few days was caring some king of strain. Sorry, should've post it as a different topic, but feels like a good reply to this one

20210407_134523.jpg

20210407_134053.jpg

20210407_131712.jpg

Disgraceful 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Disgraceful 

That's MTT in a nutshell.  It's why I make an early am appointment online, I arrive on time, check-in, sit in the front few rows, then within a few minutes walked to the desk and 5 minutes later walked out the door. Limited contact except in the damn stairwell going back down and out.

41 minutes ago, rabas said:
1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sarcasm I take it.  There are no vaccines which can stop it. Only lessen the effects if one is infected.  

Not quite correct. The Pfizer vaccine was able to prevent a very high percentage of infections. Look at the Israeli roll out data. Moderna should be about  the same.

You both make the same point.... Lessen the effect, lessening the viral load of a SARS-CoV-2 carrier, lessen the transmission rate, a high percentage of infections prevented. 

This is the whole point of the vaccine. 

The Vaccines reduce the impact of Covid-19 on a person when exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus (of which there are now numerous variants of varying virulence).

A person who has been vaccinated with any of the vaccines may or may not be impacted to a lesser degree by the SARS-CoV-2 virus such that Covid-19 develops within that person to a lesser degree than it would otherwise have developed had that person not been vaccinated. Additionally, the virus may prevent symptoms from developing at all in a vaccinated person, or, the vaccine may not have an impact on that particular person and Covid-19 ‘could’ develop with the same severity it would have had the vaccine not been administered to that person. 

Thus: A the Covid-19 vaccine cannot ’stop the SARS-CoV-2’ virus in its tracks, the vaccines do not prevent transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in an individual level, i.e. they do not prevent exposure to the virus or stop it from entering our system, but it ‘most cases’ (depending of the efficacy of that specific vaccine) as the symptoms will be less, there will be less viral load, less transmission and an aggregate effect across society such that the impact of the SARS-CoV-2 virus will (Should) be limited that society and SARS-CoV-2 is no longer a problem to society.

The added benefit of course is that those who cannot be vaccinated will still be protected by the herd effect and the herd effect continues to ’self perpetuate’ protection from the virus as transmission rates remain low and below the critical R1 level. 

• Like 2