VIDEO: Incredible footage of monitor lizard trashing a 7-Eleven in Thailand

snoop1130

Probably just wandered in and found it cold plus disoriented so just climbed up to safety. It's probably warmer up there as well. 

I've seen them in Bangkok several times and once in one of our trees. It disappeared once the dogs had gone away. 

• Like 1

Shop owners should be delighted, Thai people believe this animal brings good luck. It is not rare that it enters ground-floor dwelling places. It is in overpopulation in some areas. It is not aggressive to humans but can be scary at times, see this 6 week-old news report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nYDqp2ns0

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

A bite of one of those is nasty! 

Their tails do the most damage. There's loads in Lumpini Park.  My son followed one up a tree overhanging the lake.  He followed it with his new digital camera.  Once cornered it thrashed its tail at him snapping off a huge bough with explosive force one foot from his head & camera.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deserted said:

Where did this happen, which part of the country?

From one article:

While it was unclear where exactly where it happened, her Instagram story was tagged Soi Ban Tang Sin, which is in the Salaya area of west metro Bangkok’s Nakhon Pathom province

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, starky said:

There's Godzilla wheres Kong?

wrong Dept... No Mekhong

(shop man say "me no 'kong" & Godzilla didn't believe him) 

new product appears next week... lizard gizzard pate

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Their tails do the most damage. There's loads in Lumpini Park.  My son followed one up a tree overhanging the lake.  He followed it with his new digital camera.  Once cornered it thrashed its tail at him snapping off a huge bough with explosive force one foot from his head & camera.

Yeah, their tail slaps hurt, but after a bite of one of those you’ll definitely be heading to the emergency unit to get a ton of stitches, and most likely reconstructive surgery, if it bites you on the hand. Plus, you’ll be taking lots of heavy antibiotics because of the bacteria in their mouths and they now believe that all monitor lizards possess some mild venom, which they release during the bite. Their teeth are literally like razor blades, they cut well and deep! 

Theres a video on YouTube called Tom Crutchfield’s Crocodile Monitors (The story behind the bite). Crocodile monitor lizards have the longest teeth of all the monitor lizards. The bite featured in this video is definite more severe than what you would get from the Asian water monitors you find in Thailand, but not by a lot. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kimamey said:

Probably just wandered in and found it cold plus disoriented so just climbed up to safety. It's probably warmer up there as well. 

I've seen them in Bangkok several times and once in one of our trees. It disappeared once the dogs had gone away. 

I've just noticed it's next to the ice dispenser so there will be heat from there as well.