10 Year Retirement Visa - proof of funds

Hi, I'm currently in the UK and looking to return to Thailand in early 2022, all being well.

I have spent most of the last 20 years in Thailand on long term visas (business/retirement) which, have now expired.

With my next visa application, I'd like to apply for the 10 year retirement visa at the Thai Embassy in London.

Will I be able to show my UK bank account statements as proof of the equivalent 3M Baht or, will I need to transfer it to my Thai bank account? The Thai bank book is at my Thai property and no one is there.

Thanks, Chief Monkey

It must be in a Thai bank to a apply for a Non-OX visa.

"Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year."

Source near the end of this page on the embassy website. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It must be in a Thai bank to a apply for a Non-OX visa.

"Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year."

Source near the end of this page on the embassy website. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Thanks, Joe.

I thought as much but, wasn't sure.

So, my Thai bank has my Thai address and I'm in the UK. How do I show proof of the funds, with an original document from the bank, to the Embassy in London?

11 minutes ago, ChiefMonkey said:

So, my Thai bank has my Thai address and I'm in the UK. How do I show proof of the funds, with an original document from the bank, to the Embassy in London?

If somebody could get your bank book after the you transfer the funds they could update your bank book in the update machine to the funds are in your bank.

But looking the page I posted a link to it states this.

" 7.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contract information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand; OR"

Edit: You could apply for a Non-OA visa that allows the funds to be in a UK bank. It allows a one year entry ever time you use and you can almost 2 years total stay by getting a new entry just before it expires.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If somebody could get your bank book after the you transfer the funds they could update your bank book in the update machine to the funds are in your bank.

But looking the page I posted a link to it states this.

" 7.1 Certificate of bank deposit stating bank contract information, copy of bank book and bank statement which shows fixed deposit with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand; OR"

Thanks, Joe.

No ones home!

I have contacted my Thai bank via online banking. I suspect I might have to write to them with a signed copy of my passport and account details in order for them to mail me a bank statement here in the UK.

Cheers! CM

Is there any advantage if I fulfil the requirements in getting an O-X visa as opposed to my usual retirement extension?

Can I switch and obtain this at my local immigration office?

I presume the 90 reports are just the same?

Choosing the OX visa is of course up to you -- but IMO it is not worth it.  Although it says 10 years, it is actually 5 years and renewable for another 5 years.

BUT, in addition to the added financial requirements, you still have to go to Immigration each year with documents to prove you still have the required funds in a Thai bank and the required health insurance. You also still have to do the 90 day address reports.

The OA still requires health insurance but to apply, the funds can be in your UK bank; only needing to be in a Thai bank for renewing the one year extension you receive on entry during the validity period of the visa (one year from issue date). Also, for renewing the extension for an OA Visa, the health insurance must be from one of the Thai companies listed on the TGIA website.

An alternative, you may want to consider, is to enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt and apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa (for retirement) at Thai Immigration in Thailand. In that case, no health insurance is required for the extension and subsequent renewals.

• Like 2

Is it possible to apply for a retirement visa in Australia, then go to Thailand spend 6 months there , leave and go back to Australia for 6 months (by this time the visa would expire) and then re-apply again in Australia for another  retirement visa and repeat the above mentioned cycle again ?

Reason : 1.only want to spend 6months at a time per year and work back in Australia the other 6months.

2. Would save all the BS with bank statements , proof of income or Thai bank balance when reapplying at a Thai immigration office. So hen I apply in Australia and they want to see if my Australian bank account statements this is enough proof of funds.

i know this is different to what most people do, but only want to partially retire , and also seems my countries Thai embassy easier to deal with that if I keep renewing in Thailand ?

any comments if this could work ?

thank you in advance 

Edited by darrenr

35 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Is it possible to apply for a retirement visa in Australia, then go to Thailand spend 6 months there , leave and go back to Australia for 6 months (by this time the visa would expire) and then re-apply again in Australia for another  retirement visa and repeat the above mentioned cycle again ?

You could do that.

Or if you could time schedule return to Thailand shortly before the visa expires (one year from the date of issue) you would get a new 1 year entry.

• Like 1

I love all you guys talking about Thai Immiigration BS, one more today from Australia

I took my then Thai lady to NZ & OZ before we married.Now you can see BS.

The process to the US for single Thai females is also very difficult, we helped one with the 

maze of paperwork & 6 months to approve. She is there now

48 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I love all you guys talking about Thai Immiigration BS, one more today from Australia

I took my then Thai lady to NZ & OZ before we married.Now you can see BS.

The process to the US for single Thai females is also very difficult, we helped one with the 

maze of paperwork & 6 months to approve. She is there now

Most of the expats I know don’t consider it particularly onerous to deal with the Immigration here in Thailand.

I have lived here ten years and renewing the retirement extension is no big deal.

I turn up at the appointed time on the appointed date and leave  in a very short space of time.

I recently timed how long it took to carry out the ninety day reporting, a total of four minutes from leaving the car to returning.

I cannot think of too many countries apart from perhaps some neighboring countries, where I wouldn’t want to live anyway, where you can literally turn up and as long as you keep the equivalent of 800.000 baht in the bank stay indefinitely.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChiefMonkey said:

Thanks, Joe.

I thought as much but, wasn't sure.

Have you tried writing to your Thai bank and asking them to send you a new copy of your bank book? They replace lost bank books all the time. I suggest writing a letter so they can check your signature. You might start by sending them an email explaining your bank book has been lost and asking what you need to do to have a replacement sent to you.

24 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Have you tried writing to your Thai bank and asking them to send you a new copy of your bank book? They replace lost bank books all the time. I suggest writing a letter so they can check your signature. You might start by sending them an email explaining your bank book has been lost and asking what you need to do to have a replacement sent to you.

Banks want a police report for a lost bank book. There is also stack of paperwork that needs to be done at the bank and signed in front of them.

I cannot see it being done without going to the bank in person.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I turn up at the appointed time on the appointed date and leave  in a very short space of time.

I recently timed how long it took to carry out the ninety day reporting, a total of four minutes from leaving the car to returning.

I cannot think of too many countries apart from perhaps some neighboring countries, where I wouldn’t want to live anyway, where you can literally turn up and as long as you keep the equivalent of 800.000 baht in the bank stay indefinitely.

Try Phetchabun Immigration Office apart from the queue in front of you, 90 days is as you say, each extension  application can take up to 50 minutes each, so if your number 9 in the queue probably come back tomorrow, but then your bank documents are all out of date, and need to be renewed as they must be issued on the day of application, including a transaction on the account and updated passbook.

I'm going for an annual retirement extension in a couple of weeks so will advise on time scale.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, Acharn said:

Thanks, Joe.

The bank won't even change my email address without me going into my branch with ID.

22 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Try Phetchabun Immigration Office apart from the queue in front of you, 90 days is as you say, each extension  application can take up to 50 minutes each, so if your number 9 in the queue probably come back tomorrow, but then your bank documents are all out of date, and need to be renewed as they must be issued on the day of application, including a transaction on the account and updated passbook.

I'm going for an annual retirement extension in a couple of weeks so will advise on time scale.

I appreciate that every office can be different and it’s not only Immigration, I have had issues in the past with the local DLT office who will not accept the pink ID card as proof of residence but the Head Office in Chiang Mai will accept the card but then they give me the Driving Licenses for six years.

The point I was trying to make was that I think many on this site want to blow up every issue out of proportion and really it’s not that hard. I put it down as the cost of living here and I think the final paragraph of my post sums it up.

If you really want a breath of fresh air go with a Thai to renew their passport as we did recently for our young daughter.

No copies of documents required they scan whatever they require into their system.

Highly efficient very polite and the passport arrived at our home in 48 hours very cheap as well

The Aussie one required many documents and was the most expensive but arrived in about three weeks.

Her UK one amongst other things required each page of her Thai and Aussie passports to be photocopied in color, non of which were retained by the office at the interview but returned to us.

We were advised by email a couple of days later to expect delivery in about twelve weeks.

So maybe things are so bad here.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

I appreciate that every office can be different and it’s not only Immigration, I have had issues in the past with the local DLT office who will not accept the pink ID card as proof of residence but the Head Office in Chiang Mai will accept the card but then they give me the Driving Licenses for six years.

The point I was trying to make was that I think many on this site want to blow up every issue out of proportion and really it’s not that hard. I put it down as the cost of living here and I think the final paragraph of my post sums it up.

If you really want a breath of fresh air go with a Thai to renew their passport as we did recently for our young daughter.

No copies of documents required they scan whatever they require into their system.

Highly efficient very polite and the passport arrived at our home in 48 hours very cheap as well

The Aussie one required many documents and was the most expensive but arrived in about three weeks.

Her UK one amongst other things required each page of her Thai and Aussie passports to be photocopied in color, non of which were retained by the office at the interview but returned to us.

We were advised by email a couple of days later to expect delivery in about twelve weeks.

So maybe things are so bad here.

Meant to say are NOT so bad here

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:26 AM,  darrenr said:

You could do that.

Or if you could time schedule return to Thailand shortly before the visa expires (one year from the date of issue) you would get a new 1 year entry.

question: if I did as per above reply, even if I came back to Thailand before the visa that was issues in Australia 12 months earlier, I would still have to show money in a Thai bank account/or pension to renew the visa for a further 12 months at a Thai immigration office, is this correct ? Just easier to re-apply in Australian, so dont have to go through all the BS?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

Banks want a police report for a lost bank book. There is also stack of paperwork that needs to be done at the bank and signed in front of them.

Ah, thanks for the information. Since the bank seems to treat any person with the bank book as prima facie the legitimate owner of the account, I can see why that would be. Bummer.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

It used to be invariably true that a police report was needed. However, I helped someone who had lost both bank book and ATM card for a K-Bank account recently. There was no way to resolve the issue without the account holder visiting the home branch (and signing a blizzard of forms) but no police report was required.