How do I get vaccine?

RickNew

The current priority for receiving the vaccine seems to be those working in the tourism industry first, followed by those people working in any industry, followed by people with medical conditions that make them particularly vulnerable to covid, followed by everyone else.

Approximately 7-10,000 people are being vaccinated daily in Phuket at five vaccination centers according to the above priority schedule.  Vaccination started on April 1, 2021.  100,000 doses of Sinovac have been received in Phuket and are being administered.  People being vaccinated have either registered at the form given above or have been registered by their employers.  Additional vaccines are expected including a batch of AstraZeneca in May.  When that arrives I think the plan is to start vaccinating those age 60 and above.  Additional Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccine is expected to arrive in the future but I don't know the schedule for that.  

At the moment the only way I know to register for the vaccination is to fill in the Thai-language form given in the reply above.    The expressed goal is to vaccinate 70% of the Phuket population (to include expats) by July 1 when visitors may be allowed in Phuket (if they have been vaccinated) without quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The current priority for receiving the vaccine seems to be those working in the tourism industry first, followed by those people working in any industry, followed by people with medical conditions that make them particularly vulnerable to covid, followed by everyone else.

Approximately 7-10,000 people are being vaccinated daily in Phuket at five vaccination centers according to the above priority schedule.  Vaccination started on April 1, 2021.  100,000 doses of Sinovac have been received in Phuket and are being administered.  People being vaccinated have either registered at the form given above or have been registered by their employers.  Additional vaccines are expected including a batch of AstraZeneca in May.  When that arrives I think the plan is to start vaccinating those age 60 and above.  Additional Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccine is expected to arrive in the future but I don't know the schedule for that.  

At the moment the only way I know to register for the vaccination is to fill in the Thai-language form given in the reply above.    The expressed goal is to vaccinate 70% of the Phuket population (to include expats) by July 1 when visitors may be allowed in Phuket (if they have been vaccinated) without quarantine.

My wife was vaccinated today at one of the centers, Angsana Resort. She and a couple of her friends did not apply through the form, they just went down there this morning about 9am, it was packed, 100's of people. Got a queue number and realised she would need to wait hours, so returned home and went back at 3pm. 

They gave her the form there, filled it out then got the Sinovac vaccine. No priority order on who gets it, be that health, hotel or the general public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

My wife was vaccinated today at one of the centers, Angsana Resort. She and a couple of her friends did not apply through the form, they just went down there this morning about 9am, it was packed, 100's of people. Got a queue number and realised she would need to wait hours, so returned home and went back at 3pm. 

They gave her the form there, filled it out then got the Sinovac vaccine. No priority order on who gets it, be that health, hotel or the general public.

Very interesting, thanks for the report.  I thought they were discouraging walk-ins, from what I've read in the media.  On the other hand, maybe if you are registered beforehand  you are given a lower queue number.  I don't really know how it works.  Again, just going by what I've read in the media.  One of the fields in the form is for a contact phone number, so I assumed that they would call when it's your turn and give you a time to go to the vaccination center.  I realize they probably aren't doing appointments per se but just giving people a general timeframe so that the crowds are manageable.  It's still early days.

My comments about the prioritization scheme are just based on some of the information you fill in on the form about the work you may do and medical conditions you may have.  Also, I think one of the articles I've read mentioned that tourist business employees were being given first priority.  But I've no idea if that's the way it works in practice.

Anyway, it's nice to see that people are being vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Very interesting, thanks for the report.  I thought they were discouraging walk-ins, from what I've read in the media.  On the other hand, maybe if you are registered beforehand  you are given a lower queue number.  I don't really know how it works.  Again, just going by what I've read in the media.  One of the fields in the form is for a contact phone number, so I assumed that they would call when it's your turn and give you a time to go to the vaccination center.  I realize they probably aren't doing appointments per se but just giving people a general timeframe so that the crowds are manageable.  It's still early days.

My comments about the prioritization scheme are just based on some of the information you fill in on the form about the work you may do and medical conditions you may have.  Also, I think one of the articles I've read mentioned that tourist business employees were being given first priority.  But I've no idea if that's the way it works in practice.

Anyway, it's nice to see that people are being vaccinated.

Yes agreed, I was under the assumption that it would be based on the priority groups but how it works in reality is a little different. Regards my wife's particular case when she got there early, got a number then returned, no they didn't call her, she took the phone number of somebody in the queue who she already new, then they kept her informed as to when she and her friends should come back as we only live 5 mins away from there. Otherwise she would have had to wait around 6 hours on plastic seats.

I would imagine business's travel related etc do get group appointments, I know that the International School my daughter goes to has now had all their Thai language teachers and support staff vaccinated. They said the English and International teachers need to wait until around June but no firm commitment on that timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Is it normal procedure to get your shot 1 day after being by your own words classified as a high risk person and not stay at home in self quarantine?

2 hours ago, schlog said:

Is it normal procedure to get your shot 1 day after being by your own words classified as a high risk person and not stay at home in self quarantine?

? not sure what your talking about. My wife and possibly myself were placed at risk after a friend come to our house a day after a party in Phuket, the one at Cafe del mar where a least one positive case was found. That friend happened to be the cashier at the party and was at the reception taking everyone's entrance fee, so a high risk position. I wrote a post on this already in a separate thread is this what you're referring to?

When I discovered this I immediately told my wife we cannot have contact with her until she was tested (the friend). She was tested and found to be negative, up until that point both my wife and I were very nervous.

So in reply to your question, when my wife went to get her shot she was no longer classified as high risk otherwise the visit would have been for a test not a vaccination.

However it was because of this experience that prompted my wife to be pro active and get a vaccination. I just wish they would allow non Thai's now as well but as you know we have to wait.

Is that reply ok with you or would you like me to add some of the more boring details such as having to keep my daughter off school for a day until we were sure and the amount of worry I had because I'm classified as high risk due to an underlying condition.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like many Thias are shying away from this vaccine, unfortunately, the take up has been lower than expected from what I heard..., many Thais I asked said they don't want to be vaccinated....! , so the priority thing is out of the window, anyone who likes can go and be vaccinated right now, I know at least two people who got it without having any of priority criteria ....

But not heard of any farang so far, someone who speaks Thai might just walk in and see what they say...! 

Edited by Agusts

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

The Mrs is booked for today at 6:30pm at the Phuket Orchid. I wonder how long she'll have to wait despite having an appointment time. I'll report back. Her son is also booked in, despite only being in his twenties and not working in the tourism industry.

Just back from lunch. Orchid Road full parked cars spilling out each end Patak and Beach road.  Many many people milling about.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

The Mrs is booked for today at 6:30pm at the Phuket Orchid. I wonder how long she'll have to wait despite having an appointment time. I'll report back. Her son is also booked in, despite only being in his twenties and not working in the tourism industry.

Well, the words p!ss-up and brewery spring to mind.

The Mrs heard stories about the vaccine having run out at around 4pm yesterday so decided to go along to see what was happening (we're within walking distance so no hassle) and they're already turning people away as they have issued enough numbers to fill the quota for today. Basically, it seems it doesn't matter whether you've registered and booked an appointment or not, it's first come first served. Apparently the person in front of her gave the receptionists enough abuse for the entire queue!

This is not the way to roll out a vaccination programme. Appointments should be honoured and those without told to make an appointment. If they can't get this simple process right, the whole vaccination programme will be a disaster, especially when it comes to second doses.

Am I surprised? Of course not.

I've just received an SMS from my local hospital offering me the "latest flu vaccine against new virus strains, show this SMS to get a shot".   550 baht (vaccine only).

It doesn't mention covid nor the pandemic, but it appears it could be for that, not just a basic flu jab. 

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I've just received an SMS from my local hospital offering me the "latest flu vaccine against new virus strains, show this SMS to get a shot".   550 baht (vaccine only).

It doesn't mention covid nor the pandemic, but it appears it could be for that, not just a basic flu jab. 

Interesting.  I can't imagine if it were a covid-19 vaccine it wouldn't mention that fact.  I suspect that it most likely is just the basic influenza vaccine.  Let us know if you investigate further.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Interesting.  I can't imagine if it were a covid-19 vaccine it wouldn't mention that fact.  I suspect that it most likely is just the basic influenza vaccine.  Let us know if you investigate further.

It's definitely a flu vaccine. It's definitely not a covid vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, Agusts said:

Looks like many Thias are shying away from this vaccine, unfortunately, the take up has been lower than expected from what I heard..., many Thais I asked said they don't want to be vaccinated....! , so the priority thing is out of the window, anyone who likes can go and be vaccinated right now, I know at least two people who got it without having any of priority criteria ....

But not heard of any farang so far, someone who speaks Thai might just walk in and see what they say...! 

What take up? Only a tiny bit of Covid-19 vaccine has been available to Thais and those are only to well defined small groups. If they ever have enough supply then we can worry.about vaccine hesitancy.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

What take up? Only a tiny bit of Covid-19 vaccine has been available to Thais and those are only to well defined small groups. If they ever have enough supply then we can worry.about vaccine hesitancy.

Well, that's what I was trying to say, not all the vaccines went to the small group specified as priority, many ordinary young Thais got it outside that group..., and I assume because those specified with priority didn't go forward enough and so they gave the vaccine to whoever came and applied...

6 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Well, that's what I was trying to say, not all the vaccines went to the small group specified as priority, many ordinary young Thais got it outside that group..., and I assume because those specified with priority didn't go forward enough and so they gave the vaccine to whoever came and applied...

Not sure that proves anything about how things will be if there's ever enough supply. 

Expats can register interest in receiving ANY covid vaccination with any private hospital who will then notify you when to come in for the jab. Expats already registered as private hospital patients will and have been contacted already, at least by Bangkok-Phuket Hospital email survey,in my case, who may well be the hospital - consortium designated single phuket hospital responsible for private covid jabs.

AZ is proven in final USA FDA Trials last week to be 100% effective against death and hospitalization, with no unusual side effects. The blood clot link if proven appears around 1 in 3 to 6 million. 

Personally:-

I would privately take any of the western jabs.

I’m almost 65 with no underlying conditions from medical checks and wanting later option,with vax card, to travel and work in Japan / Korea.

Will not return to the West until all restrictions lifted there.....

Getting vaxed,in any case at all, is simply a no -brainer.