Vaccine Overseas

corkman

Has anyone here gone overseas, or personally know someone that has gone overseas to get the vaccine?

From what I can gather, to be feasible you'd need to get the the single dose J&J version. Fly somewhere, get the vaccine, have a weeks holiday there, come back and have a weeks "sandbox" semi quarantine holiday in Phuket, and then return to Bangkok. 

Any real life "how to" stories?

Edited by corkman

I haven't heard.

travel costs $ thousands, plus insurance.

jj is not available yet anywhere.

when available it will be for citizens, not for tourists (not yet, maybe in a year or two).

risk of delays for weeks and months.

risk of catching covid while travelling, staying in infected country

Edited by internationalism

I haven't heard about this as well. It's too much of a hassle and money to get the vaccine overseas. I mean, the main idea is to not catch the virus, but when you travel especially to countries with high COVID cases, you're putting yourself at risk making the vaccine useless. 

For the U.S., right now, you're looking at 5 - 6 weeks in total. With Pfizer and Moderna being thw two best options. Finding the J&J single application might be challenging.

You could fly to the U.S. tonight, probably get the first shot tomorrow - availability is not really an issue now. Eligibility may be an challenge so check various state health web-sites to see what their ID/residency requirements might be. 

Remember you have to factor in the extra 14-day waiting period, after the last shot.  

1.2.2  Travelers must be vaccinated for more than 14 days before the traveling date

https://thaiembdc.org/2021/03/31/updated-regulations-to-enter-thailand-and-procedures-of-the-quarantine-effective-from-1-april-2021/

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

For the U.S., right now, you're looking at 5 - 6 weeks in total. With Pfizer and Moderna being thw two best options. Finding the J&J single application might be challenging.

You could fly to the U.S. tonight, probably get the first shot tomorrow - availability is not really an issue now. Eligibility may be an challenge so check various state health web-sites to see what their ID/residency requirements might be. 

Remember you have to factor in the extra 14-day waiting period, after the last shot.  

1.2.2  Travelers must be vaccinated for more than 14 days before the traveling date

https://thaiembdc.org/2021/03/31/updated-regulations-to-enter-thailand-and-procedures-of-the-quarantine-effective-from-1-april-2021/

Agreed that availability in the US is becoming less and less of an issue.

My ex in California was looking at a 4 week wait, then miraculously, overnight she got one the next day.

On the J&J vaccine a word of caution to anyone who thinks they can fly in, get the one shot J&J and fly out.

Firstly J&J isn't as widely available as Pfizer or Moderna, and secondly and more importantly nowhere as far as I'm aware is giving the option to choose which one you get. You get what they have on hand.

So if you are going to do it, plan on at least a 4 week stay, since second shot is 3 weeks for Pfizer, and 4 weeks for Moderna.

Since now both me my wife are fully vaccinated, kids and my ex are one shot down, it's really a good sign that as of yesterday 42% of the >18 year old US population has had at least one shot, and better still, now 25% of the population is fully vaccinated.

It's enough to actually give you hope