Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

New COVID-19 wave further threatens Pattaya’s devastated tourism industry


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, connda said:

Tourism should just give up.  The writing is on the wall.  Two or three times a year from now until forever, especially right before big holidays, you'll hear from 'experts', "Wave number "n" is coming soon!  It will be worst than all the other waves.  Stay home. Hide under the bed. Make sure you have you Covid shots for all the Covid variants up-to-date."  Over and over like clock-work.

MIT published a paper in March 2020* saying there was no going back to normal - ever.  And what the governments and 'experts' are emphasizing is that 'normal' is gone and never will return.  New normal will worship at the alter of Covid and perpetual fear.

*Source: We’re Not Going Back To Normal, MIT Technology Review, March 17, 2020
 

Well if that happens the Thais will just have to screw themselves rather than gullible tourists

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lavender19 said:

The UK strain of the original Chinese strain. 

It was identified in the UK, like a virulent strain was identified in Brazil, South Africa, Chile etc etc, it would appear ( I'm not in anyway, shape or form an expert) that this is a natural mutation of the virus apparently, I don't know but blaming Brits, Brazilians, Chileans & South Africans is pretty lame.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't know but blaming Brits, Brazilians, Chileans & South Africans is pretty lame.

Yes, it may reflect more on their medical services, testing and research..... but I guess using that approach the Chinese should  be on your list too.

For Thailand, the only way out now is a seriously well organized vaccination program.... whether it needs lockdowns at the same time is also a consideration. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

 

For Thailand, the only way out now is a seriously well organized vaccination program.... . 

You have been here long enough to know this will not happen...haphazard at best.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, petermik said:

You have been here long enough to know this will not happen...haphazard at best.

Sometimes they seem to be able to get their act together... they have halted the last 2 waves quite well, albeit temporarily. They just don't seem good at sustained effort, they get bored maybe. There is no way out of this other than mass vaccination... for all countries. Keeping the numbers down is a temporary fix... that goes for Oz and NZ too. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They just don't get it, people have been locked down in their own houses and countries and don't want to pay for the privilege of quarantine in another place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 7:27 AM, Ralf001 said:

They running out of time to cancel Songkran and ban booze.

Songkran can not be 'canceled.' It's a date in a calendar. Songkran related activities can be curtailed and indeed have been. Why are you talking about alcohol? Just trolling?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

They just don't get it, people have been locked down in their own houses and countries and don't want to pay for the privilege of quarantine in another place.

Thousands do. But the return quarantine is not so popular. A one week resort based quarantine is holiday in itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 9:05 AM, petermik said:

You have been here long enough to know this will not happen...haphazard at best.

As haphazard as Europe? Once the Thai vaccine rollout out starts it will be rapid and efficient.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

As haphazard as Europe? Once the Thai vaccine rollout out starts it will be rapid and efficient.

Exactly when will that happen....the forecast is to start late June and hoping by end of october next year 80% of the folk here will be vaccinated....you call that rapid?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, phetphet said:

Considering Songkran is next week, and any vaccine will take a lot longer to give any protection, I think they are too late.

 

Interesting they are closing hospitality venues, but not stopping Songkran travel.  This has the potential to spread the current outbreak all over the country.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Are restaurants closed ?

 

 

No. Entertainment venues. Bars, nightclubs, karaoke. Restaurants will still be able to serve food, and probably alcohol. But I think the authorities will be out and about doing checks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, phetphet said:

No. Entertainment venues. Bars, nightclubs, karaoke. Restaurants will still be able to serve food, and probably alcohol. But I think the authorities will be out and about doing checks.

Interesting, several in my soi did not open today...hence my question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For your all info, my female friend who works in a "regular" massage shop says her boss tells her that they can come to work-the shop can be open though nary a customer lately-but "soapy" massage places are not supposed to stay open, I suppose because they are "entertainment". Bangkok. (Also of course a great many places will no doubt break the rules.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Enzian said:

For your all info, my female friend who works in a "regular" massage shop says her boss tells her that they can come to work-the shop can be open though nary a customer lately-but "soapy" massage places are not supposed to stay open, I suppose because they are "entertainment". Bangkok. (Also of course a great many places will no doubt break the rules.)

Have not seen onemassage shop closed today in Klang/ bukow area.Seems business as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Olmate said:

Have not seen onemassage shop closed today in Klang/ bukow area.Seems business as usual.

I read somewhere Thai traditional massage shops were exempt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...