Netizens pose question: How did UK variant get into Thailand despite emergency decree?

webfact

Just now, ukrules said:

Those who look for new things find them, those who bury their heads in the sand find nothing new.

That is true and those that find something they don't like love to deny it. Sounds a lot like you. 

Fact found first in UK. Fact its called the Uk variant. 

Alternative theory without proof of you is that it came from France. You might be right or not. But the French also the same testing as the uk they found other variants too. So its not as if France did not do it. The UK might have done more testing but to say the French did not do it is a lie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ah the standard deflection of those who see the UK variant as an insult. Face it. It was found in the UK and called the Uk variant because of it. It was not found in France first. Why do you make such a problem of it. Its not as if the Brits did anything wrong. A virus mutates and that is nobodies fault. Just like the virus origin is in China but can't blame China for it also. Unless it was man made but there is no proof for that.

No proof it was man made but first detected in China at the start so was called the Chinese virus but this made China very mad ???? they treated it as an insult. So was called Covid 19. 

but if uk has the uk variant. Most of the world still has the Chinese variant 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bbbb969 said:

No proof it was man made but first detected in China at the start so was called the Chinese virus but this made China very mad ???? they treated it as an insult. So was called Covid 19. 

I have no problems with that at all. You either call both by where it originates or you don't call any by its place of origin.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:
11 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Those who look for new things find them, those who bury their heads in the sand find nothing new.

That is true and those that find something they don't like love to deny it. Sounds a lot like you. 

Fact found first in UK. Fact its called the Uk variant. 

Alternative theory without proof of you is that it came from France. You might be right or not. But the French also the same testing as the uk they found other variants too. So its not as if France did not do it. The UK might have done more testing but to say the French did not do it is a lie.

It’s just a name, thats all it is. 

Countries which do more testing will isolate more variants. Some of those variants will be weaker, some stronger, the stronger variants will draw more publicity. 

There will be more variants, maybe a UK Variant 2, or a French Variant. 

Will there be a Thai variant ? perhaps unlikely as there is less testing here and the tech to identify different variants perhaps less widespread. 

Whatever the variant, wherever it was recognised the idea of an evolving, mutating virus is a frightening one,  BUT... they key point to remember is that H1N1 is still with us, it has been for 100 years, there have been numerous outbreaks. I don’t see Covid-19 being any different. Once we have vaccines in place we will live with it just as we live with influenza, the difference being more of us will be required to have vaccinations by our work places and for travel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s just a name, thats all it is. 

Countries which do more testing will isolate more variants. Some of those variants will be weaker, some stronger, the stronger variants will draw more publicity. 

There will be more variants, maybe a UK Variant 2, or a French Variant. 

Will there be a Thai variant ? perhaps unlikely as there is less testing here and the tech to identify different variants perhaps less widespread. 

Whatever the variant, wherever it was recognised the idea of an evolving, mutating virus is a frightening one,  BUT... they key point to remember is that H1N1 is still with us, it has been for 100 years, there have been numerous outbreaks. I don’t see Covid-19 being any different. Once we have vaccines in place we will live with it just as we live with influenza, the difference being more of us will be required to have vaccinations by our work places and for travel. 

Yes its just a name, but some people seem to attach blame to it. Like the UK variant is because of something done by the UK.

There are also some people who do like to attach blame and then its bad for an UK variant to be there because then they can't blame China alone. 

Anyway like you said variants will emerge and how or why i have no clue it just happens. But i bet that none of it is intentional. 

I think variants will only gain fame if they have an extra danger or if we are lucky there will be a mild variant that makes us resistant to others. Who knows.

• Like 1

Just now, Bbbb969 said:

Yes I agree. But labelling it with a country’s name. people try and create a scapegoat. Looking for someone to blame. It should just be called a mutated strain of Covid 19

Actually, it would be easier to keep track of these things and their degree of infectiousness if health agencies just labeled them with something like Strain A, Strain B, and Strain C. Isn't that what they do with hepatitis? I don't know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Test and test en-mass.  Not the limited testing they have done.

Thats the only way forward.

- testing and vaccinating...

- Not just propaganda, where it was all focussed.

Testing:

Population of Thailand is comparable with UK and France.

UK has done 130mill tests, France - 68mill and Thailand - 8million.  Seek and you shall find..

Vaccination (first jab):

UK vaccinated 37mill, France - 13mill and Thailand - 300,000 vaccinations. Even Myanmar, Cambodia & many west African countries miles ahead. busy locking/closing and opening and making application for May (wonder which year)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bbbb969 said:

Yes I agree. But labelling it with a country’s name. people try and create a scapegoat. Looking for someone to blame. It should just be called a mutated strain of Covid 19

Kind of agree in the potation for that to happen, but its only stupid individuals so far who make the implication that specific nation is to blame for a mutating virus, not really much point in arguing with an idiot (who, to paraphrase Mark Twain, will wear you down to their level and beat you with experience)....

When nationwide attitudes or political agenda shifts there is room for concern. i.e. if Thailand were to Ban all Brazilian people because of a variant discovered in Brazil.

.....But, the closest thing to this happening is the announcement that the full 14 days quarantine will be required for those coming from countries where more virulent variants are prevalent. 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Kind of agree in the potation for that to happen, but its only stupid individuals so far who make the implication that specific nation is to blame for a mutating virus, not really much point in arguing with an idiot (who, to paraphrase Mark Twain, will wear you down to their level and beat you with experience)....

When nationwide attitudes or political agenda shifts there is room for concern. i.e. if Thailand were to Ban all Brazilian people because of a variant discovered in Brazil.

.....But, the closest thing to this happening is the announcement that the full 14 days quarantine will be required for those coming from countries where more virulent variants are prevalent. 

But this seems to me logical (the part i underlined). Up until that variant is prevalent in the country that wants to protect itself. Then there is no point anymore. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

So far only 0.31% of the population of 69 million or 257,484 people had been jabbed with a first dose. 

Yup - Thailand is officially last place in Asia for rate of vaccination by a country mile.  Hub of vaccine. ????

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes its just a name, but some people seem to attach blame to it. Like the UK variant is because of something done by the UK.

This is exactly what President Macron has been doing...

Here's a situation report, where is this dangerous new British variant now?

image.png.09723087a864c8cd2bb24e43fc6d28ae.png

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have no problems with that at all. You either call both by where it originates or you don't call any by its place of origin.

so pleased you have no problems with that 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is exactly what President Macron has been doing...

Here's a situation report, where is this dangerous new British variant now?

image.png.09723087a864c8cd2bb24e43fc6d28ae.png

Could you tell mee where Marcon has blamed the UK for the virus a link would be helpful. You really seem to be bothered by this. But then again your a die hard nationalist so its not suprising.

• Haha 1

Just now, robblok said:

Im pleased that your pleased so now that we got that out of the way. Did you have anything useful to add ?

You have managed to cover everything . No need to add as that would be futile .

22 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Actually, it would be easier to keep track of these things and their degree of infectiousness if health agencies just labeled them with something like Strain A, Strain B, and Strain C. Isn't that what they do with hepatitis? I don't know.

Thats exactly how the virus are named.  But we don’t understand all those numbers. The media and the general public understand simplified information... i.e. the UK Variant (because 'the variant identified in the UK' is still too many words and doesn’t have quite the same tabloid impact !!!).. 

There's the The B.1.351, P.1, B.1.427, and B.1.429 variants in the States. 

The UK Variant B.1.1.7 (Strain: 20I/501Y.V1)... 

So, do you want to discus the UK Variant with friends in a pub or on this forum, or will you be discussing SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 20I/501Y.V1   ????

The variants are named on their lineage, identified by their spike protein substitutions, are given a strain. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/variant-surveillance/variant-info.html

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bbbb969 said:

It's Chinese COVID, that will never change. Also having read up a bit on these mutations, they appear to all be somewhat inevitable once the virus passes 100's of generations - it's just a matter of time.

Very similar mutations are popping up independently all around the world and will continue to do so far into the future.

The Variants Of Concern (VOC), that is a variant which is supposed to evade a vaccine, none of which render the vaccines ineffective so far tend to emerge in younger populations. This is why certain African countries with an average age of around 18 years old have very different mutations to elsewhere, for now but it's only a matter of time before they emerge elsewhere as well.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats exactly how the virus are named.  But we don’t understand all those numbers. The media and the general public understand simplified information... i.e. the UK Variant (because 'the variant identified in the UK' is still too many words and doesn’t have quite the same tabloid impact !!!).. 

There's the The B.1.351, P.1, B.1.427, and B.1.429 variants in the States. 

The UK Variant B.1.1.7 (Strain: 20I/501Y.V1)... 

So, do you want to discus the UK Variant with friends in a pub or on this forum, or will you be discussing SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 20I/501Y.V1   ????

The variants are named on their lineage, identified by their spike protein substitutions, are given a strain. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/variant-surveillance/variant-info.html

THANK YOU! At last someone gets it. If you read pretty much any scientific paper, it's referred to as "Variant B.1.1.7" or "Variant B.1.1.7 first identified in the UK". It's the media that have coined the phrase "[country] variant" for exactly the reasons you mention.

Doesn't matter though, it's now inextricably linked to the UK for eternity but there's little point in anyone getting precious over it as it's not going to change.

• Like 2