Netizens pose question: How did UK variant get into Thailand despite emergency decree?

webfact

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It's the blame game....

I think it's the scare game. If you scare people you have power over them. As I just stated in another thread, the Los Angeles Times, citing recent studies, says the existing vaccines work on the variants.

Get the dang people vaxed!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Just hilarious you are. Would you like nothing but serious answers and no comic relief.  Try again Sir. All variants mutate again and again, but if you never test randomly you will never find it unless someone goes to a hospital for a test because they feel ill, by then it has taken a footing somewhere and you end up playing catch up instead of being ahead of the issue. Wouldn't you agree?

"Yes.  It's the lowest form of wit." people use this Oscar Wilde saying but never use the rest of the quote "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and highest form of intelligence" which puts a totally different light on the saying FWIW!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, itsari said:

I wonder why ?

The prevailing theory is fourfold.  Illusions of hub for vaccine production, a certain ownership of a certain company, the extended opportunity to buy up distressed businesses cheap, continued control of the bedraggled masses who toil indoors to make $$ for the overlords.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Mass testing is underway today.  Lots of popup places for free testing.  Queues are very long.  Hospitals are also full for mass testing.  Thai people are currently scared.

Could you post some places? I was in some Thonglor bars where people tested positive later and preventively cancelled my songkran trip now until I know. 

5 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Could you post some places? I was in some Thonglor bars where people tested positive later and preventively cancelled my songkran trip now until I know. 

You can go to most any hospital and tell them you were there. If they deem you need testing they will call to get an authorization code and the govt will pay. This was explained to me at a private hospital some time ago.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:37 AM, steve187 said:

so what would be your plan if you were made Prime minister tomorrow

If I was made PM of the UK, I would make sure I bought a decent comb, would not want my hair being like Boris's.

If I was made PM of Thailand, I would hold an immediate general election and give the country back to the people and have the unelected "PMs" personal financial affairs looked into comparing it now with when he first bullied his way into parliament.

• Like 1

IMHO it does not matter how it arrived here.

This is no different to seasonal influenza variations each year.

COVID mutations could go on for months, years or even decades just like other flu viruses. 

The goal is what strategies the government in concert with the medial experts have in place to mitigate the impact of current and future COVID variations.

I am not the expert but there is an old saying "if you can't measure it you can't manage it".

Ubiquitous effective COVID testing services across the whole country has to be a key initiative for detection and proactive actions.  

Nationwide vaccination programs and facilities has to be the next best weapon against the virus; this should be a free program for ever person in Thailand. 

COVID, segmentation, segregation, isolation, hospitalization, medication, travel, hospitality, accommodation, economics, employment, immigration, foreign labor, tourism, sovereign financials, corporate and small business and individual's stimulus packages are COVID issues that politicians are elected for and are responsible for implementing appropriate anti COVID protection programs.  

Unless politicians put the country and its people first over their status, egos and money the country could become a basket case for decades. 

On 4/8/2021 at 7:25 AM, RandolphGB said:

There have been flights coming and going from the UK for the last year. Pilots, crew, cargo staff, diplomatic staff, repatriated Thais, tourists doing ASQ etc etc . Same as above for people from Europe who will have been in contact with the UK variant. 

It’s impossible to stop the virus. No matter how many masks people wear or how many bars are closed. 

Thais would realize this if they actually thought about it.  

Agreed. There is nothing so dumb as really dumb. Its about as stupid a question as anyone can ask. Its akin to calling one variant the 'Kent Variant', like it appeared at Ashford Railway Station one day, all by its little self. 

Edited by Pilotman

7 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

The PCR test is not as accurate and foolproof as many people think... 

Due tell, and please do not discuss Dr. Mullis, or any of the conspiracy websites who harp on about this.  Show us statistical data that has been peer reviewed please with a link that is verifiable and credible.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

English must not be your first language.

This variant started in England.  It's already spread all over the world.  

From England.

I think what you're *trying* to say is that this variant could come from anywhere now: Sweden, America, even China.

Anywhere someone who has been to England and then went to other countries and spread it to the population who have never been to England. ????

It was first discovered in England.  It could have been discovered anywhere. It just happened England has the best scientists in the world. ????

And yes, I'm a native speaker of English, and also a teacher, and the last sentence of your post makes very little sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally think it's unfair to call it the UK variant, as it hurts everyone in Thailand from the UK.  Covid-Variant is fine.  They did change Corona to Covid, so maybe this UK variant will be changed.  This simply sends the wrong message in the long-term.  Short-term, fine.  

In the future, kids will learn about this UK variant.......  let's hope I'm wrong and it's Covid and different variants.  we shall see...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, berrec said:

IMHO it does not matter how it arrived here.

This is no different to seasonal influenza variations each year.

COVID mutations could go on for months, years or even decades just like other flu viruses. 

The goal is what strategies the government in concert with the medial experts have in place to mitigate the impact of current and future COVID variations.

I am not the expert but there is an old saying "if you can't measure it you can't manage it".

Ubiquitous effective COVID testing services across the whole country has to be a key initiative for detection and proactive actions.  

Nationwide vaccination programs and facilities has to be the next best weapon against the virus; this should be a free program for ever person in Thailand. 

COVID, segmentation, segregation, isolation, hospitalization, medication, travel, hospitality, accommodation, economics, employment, immigration, foreign labor, tourism, sovereign financials, corporate and small business and individual's stimulus packages are COVID issues that politicians are elected for and are responsible for implementing appropriate anti COVID protection programs.  

Unless politicians put the country and its people first over their status, egos and money the country could become a basket case for decades. 

Could become, it already is in many area's. 

18 hours ago, rabas said:

There are no records of the B117 strain in Myanmar from world databases. There are now 15  records of the B117 strain in Thailand, 9 were from positive cases found in ASQ. The other 6 are from the recent bar outbreaks in BKK. 

It's unlikely to be from Myanmar.

In another thread, entry from Cambodia was suggested. It's difficult to know in the best of times what Covid is doing in Burma. Are these databases only reporting what governments report to them?

5 minutes ago, placnx said:

Want to call it the "Calais Virus"?

Why not call it the Fruit of the Looms virus as most governments seem to be flying by the seat of their pants as they try and deal with it.

It's Covid with different variants that's it. Where it originally originated from is China.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, placnx said:

In another thread, entry from Cambodia was suggested. It's difficult to know in the best of times what Covid is doing in Burma. Are these databases only reporting what governments report to them?

Highly unlikely outside of some place like communist China.

Tracking and sequencing is done by hospitals, institutes, labs, and local experts, often with international collaboration. I doubt regional governments would want orcare to interfere even if they knew anything about it. The Burmese generals are surely busy with far more pressing problems.

The issue would be resources. Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, and Cambodia all upload representative genomes to GISAID, the largest COVID-19 database with over 1,000,000 genomes to date. Only a fraction of genomes need to be uploaded. Local experts also know how to best use their limited resources in country.

The discussion was, where it likely came from?   Dr. Youg correctly said it probably wasn't though ASQ 14-day guarantee  because they sequence every positive case. They had found 9 from December through March. That leaves Myanmar and Cambodia,  Myanmar has no sign so far even with limited data, and Cambodia has a raging UK B.1.1.7 outbreak. Also, regional experts with talk with each outer.

I do see Thailand is uploading a lot of B.1.1.7 genomes, another 15 last night. So they are working hard to track this strain.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, ThailandRyan said:

It walked in with an asymptomatic person who possibly tested negative.  Either that or it was brought in back in January and escaped quarantine.  Who really knows as they have never really been openly testing.

This strain has a longer tail than others. The latest outbreak in NZ was caused by this strain after a woman was released from quarantine after 14 days and was later found to be positive after 25 days causing an outbreak that luckily was soon controlled. 

NZ has just suspended people from India entering NZ as 19 out of 23 arrived with covid and 60 positive arrived in the last week. 

The people themselves say this is not fair, and they contracted covid on the way to the airport. 

Suspect is dodgy ducuments and testing. 

Indians make up a huge amount of Thailand's tourists, so dodgy vaccine papers are now going to be big business. 

Shortening quarantine now is brain dead, and Anutins travel bubble has burst. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, placnx said:

Want to call it the "Calais Virus"?

The Chinese want it to be identified with anywhere that's not China.

The Thais would do well to understand that the Chinese have been attempting to pin the origin for the virus on South East Asia and I already note a strong denial issued by the Thai Government denying that it originated in Thailand.

In truth we don't know....not yet....but we will one day know, I am very sure of that. No matter how long it takes the true and very original origin of this virus will be found.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 7:25 AM, RandolphGB said:

There have been flights coming and going from the UK for the last year. Pilots, crew, cargo staff, diplomatic staff, repatriated Thais, tourists doing ASQ etc etc . Same as above for people from Europe who will have been in contact with the UK variant. 

It’s impossible to stop the virus. No matter how many masks people wear or how many bars are closed. 

Thais would realize this if they actually thought about it.  

Thinking for themselves is not in their wheelhouse.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:37 AM, steve187 said:

so what would be your plan if you were made Prime minister tomorrow

Irrelevent question. I am not Thai and don't have the arrogance to claim I'm right or wrong ot tell them how they should run their country.

It's just fact - people have been coming and going from the UK all the time during the pandemic. 

17 hours ago, placnx said:

Incidence of flu is reduced because people are wearing masks!

555555 really that's your logic ? And how aboit all the news from scientists that wearing a mask is unhealthy because of all the bacteria people are nreathing in and out the whole day wearing a mask and that the particles of virus are much smaller then the holes in the masks ?? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, Scouse123 said:

The more people call this the UK variant, the more I will start calling it the Chinese Flu virus or Asian flu virus.

The stupidity of some people who believe because it was first identified in the UK believe it originated in the UK, it didn't. It all originated in China. Mare and more virologists are coming forward now and saying that lax protocols at the Wuhan virus centre, which they say, they have been warned about for years, is the probable epicenter of the start of the virus.

We don't see the Thais walking around calling it the Chinese Flu, no that would upset the leaders of this called democratically elected government.

Where did the UK variant enter the UK? Well, we can make an educated guess!

The UK has had thousands of trucks coming with produce daily and only recently has it been brought into question about testing the drivers from Continental Europe. We have those undocumented migrants full of all kinds of diseases  smuggled through in those lorries, we have all those found to be Covid positive boat migrants landing daily.

How the variant first discovered in the UK got into Thailand is anybody's guess but of course, it won't be through the porous borders of Myanmar and Laos or Cambodia nor the immigration officers taking back handers as the hordes stream in.

No let's blame the UK, which suits a backward uneducated public and government, who believe anything they see on TV in the middle of the soaps and cartoons, all nicely wrapped up in their xenophobic, jingoistic blanket.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/03/08/josh-rogin-chaos-under-heaven-wuhan-lab-book-excerpt-474322

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-officials-raised-alarms-about-safety-issues-in-wuhan-lab-report-2020-4

Couldn't of said it better myself.......   Certain people in Thailand don't need an excuse to blame westerners for their troubles and basic inadequacy.......   It came from China, amazingly it's lasted longer than a week before falling to bits.........   UK variant of the Chinese virus........  That's my description of it........  

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, possum1931 said:

If I was made PM of the UK, I would make sure I bought a decent comb, would not want my hair being like Boris's.

Written instructions for use would be useful as a gift for the bloke, I suspect.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Haha 1