Finnair, any recent experience BKK to LHR?

Hi, I've flown Finnair in the past and enjoyed the experience.

Having seen that they are now flying 4 days a week back to the UK I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with them on this route? Specifically, any delays or boarding issues and how many passengers were on board.

Would add that the flight is for a Thai national.....thanks for reading.

Can't help with experience.

Just seeing that the flights of 7 and 8 April from BKK to HEL were in time (10 min late).

The connection in HEL is extremely short (15:15 -> 16:00).

BUT it seems they might wait connecting passengers?

On April 8: arrived 15:25.

Flight to LHR delayed departure at 16:24, still arrived only 8 min late (17:08).

Ask them what happens on missed connection.

Accommodation (Covid rules for transit) and flight next day, when (08:00)?

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, alant said:

my flights not for over a year now with this pandemic but they are my 1st choice airline normally

Yes I've had a couple of excellent flights in the past....very generous with the drinks trolley too. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't help with experience.

Just seeing that the flights of 7 and 8 April from BKK to HEL were in time (10 min late).

The connection in HEL is extremely short (15:15 -> 16:00).

BUT it seems they might wait connecting passengers?

On April 8: arrived 15:25.

Flight to LHR delayed departure at 16:24, still arrived only 8 min late (17:08).

Ask them what happens on missed connection.

Accommodation (Covid rules for transit) and flight next day, when (08:00)?

Thanks for the thoughts.

I fired off a quick email to Finnair in Bkk and they said the short connection won't be a problem but I'll ask again what happens if there is a significant delay....thanks for the tip.

Where did you find the flight stats information?

I wouldn't be booking with any airline until the UK announces the countries on the new traffic light system.  If you choose one that has a connection in a country that turns out to be on the red list, you'll have to do hotel quarantine in the UK and the flight may therefore have a higher chance of being cancelled. Countries/colours expected in about 3 weeks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I wouldn't be booking with any airline until the UK announces the countries on the new traffic light system.  If you choose one that has a connection in a country that turns out to be on the red list, you'll have to do hotel quarantine in the UK and the flight may therefore have a higher chance of being cancelled. Countries/colours expected in about 3 weeks.

Travelling next week so keeping an eye on the current list.

My wife travelled from Bangkok to London with Finnair last August - she said the flight was fine and all transfers etc. went smoothly. It was also properly socially distanced unlike her flight back to Thailand with Thai - which was rammed. To be fair though, I don't know if the distancing was enabled because of low passenger numbers or planned.

One thing I would say that really made me angry - a week before she was due to fly they cancelled her flight from Helsinki to Manchester - just that portion, nothing else said. When I contacted them to ask what she was supposed to do as the next flight wasn't until the following day and she had no visa for Finland they simply said she could cancel the whole flight if she wished - not very helpful. I had to suggest the change to London which was more expensive. The operator had to get her supervisor to overide the additional cost which they said they would not normally do. I think though, that had a lot to do with the exceptionally cheap original cost of £203 - one way.

My wife was also asked to show a ticket for her return flight to the (outsourced) check-in staff at Suvarnabhumi - even though I'd clarified the situation on that with Finnair whilst booking and was told it wasn't their policy.  Entry to the UK is not conditional on a return flight but I was aware that quite a lot of check-in staff think it is. Thankfully I had already booked a return by that time as I was suspicious it would happen. I e-mailed Finnair customer services to report this and was told they would ask their Bangkok office to investigate - I never heard anything further from them.

I can't say if Finnair are known for poor customer service as this was the first time either of us had flown/booked with them but it wasn't very good. However, I've yet to find an airline that is 100% on customer service - some really suck!

Edited by KhaoYai

As a follow up my Thai friend had their Finnair flight yesterday.

Their Rapid Antigen Test result was queried with a supervisor as the check-in lady hadn't seen one before and didn't know it would be accepted. After 10 minutes and a further 3 people giving advice the ok was given. Passenger Locator Form and Covid-19 Order Form were both thoroughly checked.

Thai security check and Immigration were a breeze as so few traveller's at Swampy.

My friend thought there were only about 20 passengers on the flight so nice to be able to stretch out and sleep anywhere you wanted.

Crew got a thumbs up the food not so much as only one choice of main course, chicken curry. There was a light snack before landing.

Despite taking off about 10 minutes early bad weather enroute meant they landed 15 minutes late so a 45 minute transit time turned into a 30 minute one. A short 10 minute delay of the HEL-LHR meant they made their flight. There was another light snack on this flight.

All in all a positive experience for my friend and they have already said they will definitely consider Finnair in the future.

A big thanks to everyone who contributed advice on this thread.

Edited by edwinchester

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:25 AM, edwinchester said:

Thanks for the thoughts.

I fired off a quick email to Finnair in Bkk and they said the short connection won't be a problem but I'll ask again what happens if there is a significant delay....thanks for the tip.

Where did you find the flight stats information?

Thats exactly what Austrian told me.....TWICE, and both times the flight was late getting into Heathrow and consequentlylate leaving to Vienna for the Bangkok connecting flight and twice I had to overnight in Vienna. They only have  45 minute connecting time on their London to Vienna/Bangkok flight and as they are always late leaving London the connection is nearly always missed. They do not hold flights and trying to get Compensation from them is like getting blood from a stone.

• Like 1