Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Recommended Posts

Looking for advise as usual. 5555

I, am looking to purchase an AC unit for the house. I, plan on installing it on the 2nd floor in our living room the total area of the 2nd floor is 96 Sq. M. This includes a living room, 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom. The house is typical cement block and concrete and holds the heat for many hours into the evening as expected. I, would like to install it in the living room so I'm not sleeping right under it as I hate having the AC blowing right on me. I'm inclined to go a little bigger than is needed to offset the thermal inefficiency of the block. Any advise is greatly appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Unless you are looking at some sort of ducted system, or separate small systems, one air conditioner wont work for multiple rooms. You would probably look at an system for the living room and shut doors to the rest of the house, a separate small unit for bedroom etc for when you sleep in there.

air-conn shops will have tables and calculators to recommend a system

You may be able to use a single system if also install fans/ducts to draw air from one room and put it in another room (all the air flows through the room being cooled)

Thanks I was afraid of that as I was hoping to go with what we call back in the US is a "mini split".  I, think I'll just have to go with what is figured out for a system for the living room as I don't have the means of putting in a "central air" system. Anything at this point is better than nothing to take the edge off. Nothing like sleeping in a heat box..55555 then again the more I stay here the heat only gets better to deal with. Thanks for your input. I'll be hitting Home Pro after Songkran to check out my options. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ban Mai Guy said:

Thanks I was afraid of that as I was hoping to go with what we call back in the US is a "mini split".  I, think I'll just have to go with what is figured out for a system for the living room as I don't have the means of putting in a "central air" system. Anything at this point is better than nothing to take the edge off. Nothing like sleeping in a heat box..55555 then again the more I stay here the heat only gets better to deal with. Thanks for your input. I'll be hitting Home Pro after Songkran to check out my options. 

Recently I looked at the websites of brand name air-cons in Thailand. At least on one of the sites they offered a mini split system (I don't remember the name they used), I think with one compressor and multiple indoor units. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently I looked at the websites of brand name air-cons in Thailand. At least on one of the sites they offered a mini split system (I don't remember the name they used), I think with one compressor and multiple indoor units. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Thanks I am going to take a trip to Home Pro or Thaiwatsadu after Songkran to see what they have. Not sure of the brand I will buy. Most people seem to say stay away from Samsung for many reasons. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1) I had a similar sized area and was told to go with 33K BTU (inverter unit).  If non inverter, a smaller one would likely suffice.

2) Daikin highly regarded, and charges accordingly.  Mitsubishi also seems to get good reviews.  

3) The type of unit you are looking for, is a Split/Multi-split unit.  Single compressor serving upto 5 wall units.  I thought it'd make life easier for the installer, but was told to stay away.... didnt probe too hard as to why.  Could be maintenance cost related.  

4) If you can, get the inverter unit.  You'll pay more, but will save on your electric bills in the long run.  Maybe recover the cost in 4-5 years (havent done the math).

5) If you get a unit with an IR remote (nearly most models these days), a product like Ambi Mini (100USD) or Cielo Breez eco (60USD) maybe worth it.  Device allows far more automated level of control than the manufacturer allows.  Like you, I dont run the aircon all the time, dont like it direct and so on.  A device like this allows it to turn on 2-3 times/night for an hour here and there.... 7 days a week.

 

6) Do some digging into Cassette vs Wall unit.... ie. as to which will be more appropriate for you.  Believe the cassette is less maintenance - but maybe overkill.

 

The store can recommend installers, but if you have no ideas at all, try JT Air on Facebook.  They speak English.  Get a quote from the store installer first, then ask JT Air to match.  Ask them about type of units etc.  Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ban Mai Guy said:

what we call back in the US is a "mini split".

yeah, we just called it 'separate bedrooms' - it worked so well we went for separate lives and separate living quarters... a maxi split, you might say.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 12:59 PM, Peterw42 said:

Unless you are looking at some sort of ducted system, or separate small systems, one air conditioner wont work for multiple rooms. You would probably look at an system for the living room and shut doors to the rest of the house, a separate small unit for bedroom etc for when you sleep in there.

air-conn shops will have tables and calculators to recommend a system

You may be able to use a single system if also install fans/ducts to draw air from one room and put it in another room (all the air flows through the room being cooled)

You can find the BTU size to suit the size of the room you need to keep the room cool on  the internet.  As said, you are wasting your time trying to keep multiple rooms cool with one unit.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ban Mai Guy said:

Thanks I was afraid of that as I was hoping to go with what we call back in the US is a "mini split".  I, think I'll just have to go with what is figured out for a system for the living room as I don't have the means of putting in a "central air" system. Anything at this point is better than nothing to take the edge off. Nothing like sleeping in a heat box..55555 then again the more I stay here the heat only gets better to deal with. Thanks for your input. I'll be hitting Home Pro after Songkran to check out my options. 

My house is about the same size, a 12 x 8 bungalow. The living room is 45 sq m, the main bedroom 20 sq m and I have a smaller bedroom and 2 bathrooms.

I initially just put air in the main bedroom, a 13K btu Panasonic, but that couldn't cope in the really hot weather so I changed it for a 18K btu LG and put the Panasonic in the small bedroom. At the same time I also put another 18K LG at the sitting area of the living room. I could be doing with another at the other end but never bothered, not too much of a problem.

LG is quite cheap but not the quietest of units, been quite reliable, one or 2 minor issues over the years but other than that they have both run fairly constantly for over 11 years.

I would suggest you try and find a local air engineer, you will need that over time. Many are quite happy to install units you have purchased elsewhere, just have to check which makes they are familiar with. This gives you the flexibility of purchasing at the best price. The big outlets will offer installation but they are not so responsive, if at all after the warranty, when it comes to a service or breakdown. Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sandyf said:

My house is about the same size, a 12 x 8 bungalow. The living room is 45 sq m, the main bedroom 20 sq m and I have a smaller bedroom and 2 bathrooms.

I initially just put air in the main bedroom, a 13K btu Panasonic, but that couldn't cope in the really hot weather so I changed it for a 18K btu LG and put the Panasonic in the small bedroom. At the same time I also put another 18K LG at the sitting area of the living room. I could be doing with another at the other end but never bothered, not too much of a problem.

LG is quite cheap but not the quietest of units, been quite reliable, one or 2 minor issues over the years but other than that they have both run fairly constantly for over 11 years.

I would suggest you try and find a local air engineer, you will need that over time. Many are quite happy to install units you have purchased elsewhere, just have to check which makes they are familiar with. This gives you the flexibility of purchasing at the best price. The big outlets will offer installation but they are not so responsive, if at all after the warranty, when it comes to a service or breakdown. Good luck.

Must be the Brand as my bedroom is 20 sqm and has a 12,500 BTU Daikin Inverter and the room gets ice cold.

My house is insolated concrete block and the ceiling is insolated. Probably makes a big difference.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

An unhelpful troll post and a reply has been removed.  A member is asking for advice, if you are not willing or not able to offer some helpful advice, please do not bother posting with snide remarks. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, metisdead said:

An unhelpful troll post and a reply has been removed.  A member is asking for advice, if you are not willing or not able to offer some helpful advice, please do not bother posting with snide remarks. 

Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Multi-splits are great, but they are not very common here yet, the product offering is limited and they are not really any cheaper than multiple smaller units. I believe Daikin markets them here.

 

Cassette units are (IMO) much better then wall units, but they also cost significantly more. The cassette mounts in the center of the room and could conceivably cool the other rooms if the doors were left open and you had ceiling fans operating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone on their input. It gives me a little bit to go with when I'm out looking at my options. I, hate going shopping for anything here especially when it comes to asking the folks at the store as I seem to always be led down the path to the most expensive and not really what I need to suit the situation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Global today and stopped by the AC as I'm in the market to install one in living area. The biggest they had was 24,000 btu, supposed to be good for 36-40 M.  I'm needing one for 42.5M. Room faces east so sun till noon or so, old house. I'm replacing the swing out glass windows with new aluminum ones. From what I've seen at other home improvement stores they don't go above 24,000btu.

Edited by EVENKEEL
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I went to Global today and stopped by the AC as I'm in the market to install one in living area. The biggest they had was 24,000 btu, supposed to be good for 36-40 M.  I'm needing one for 42.5M. Room faces east so sun till noon or so, old house. I'm replacing the swing out glass windows with new aluminum ones. From what I've seen at other home improvement stores they don't go above 24,000btu.

Thanks for the heads up.  Going to Thaiwatsadu in the morning see what my options are. If anything I'm at least getting one for the bedroom to take the edge off . Doing the math I should be able to get away with a 14k btu but will probably go a little higher. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ban Mai Guy said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Going to Thaiwatsadu in the morning see what my options are. If anything I'm at least getting one for the bedroom to take the edge off . Doing the math I should be able to get away with a 14k btu but will probably go a little higher. 

I measured last night and I've got 42.5 M, factor in sun and crappy insulation, I'm thinking maybe 2 units instead of one big one. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I measured last night and I've got 42.5 M, factor in sun and crappy insulation, I'm thinking maybe 2 units instead of one big one. 

I'm thinking the same with 2 units. When I did the calculations it came out that I should be getting a unit that is around 56k BTU. I wish I went with Q-Con blocks or something other than the standard concrete blocks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern Air has a great website that will allow you to see what's available. Know what you want before you go to buy something. I like Carrier products but they sell most everything. 

Products - Modernair

 

Carrier Thailand has a nice BTU calculator if you want an idea of what size you need. 

BTU Calculator - Carrier Thailand

 

I recommend:

1. Figure out what you want.

2. Use Lazada and other sites to find the lowest price, including installation.

3. Go to the full-service air conditioner shop closest to your home and get a quote from them.

4. If their price is fair, go with them.

5. If their pric eis not fair, hammer them down, they should be able to get pretty close to the cheapest installed price you found.

 

It is nice to have a small business close by that you can build a relationship with. 

 

I like Carrier products, and they have a great warranty.

 

If you've got the dough, do yourself a favor and look at cassette units, they have a lot of advantages over the wall units, and they are getting more popular so we are seeing a lot of new models and players in the market. 

 

I think multi-splits are ideal, but they do not seem to be common enough in Thailand to be a good choice yet. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ban Mai Guy said:

I'm thinking the same with 2 units. When I did the calculations it came out that I should be getting a unit that is around 56k BTU. I wish I went with Q-Con blocks or something other than the standard concrete blocks. 

 

cassette.JPG.cbd479192fdcc6ef6b621de072aeab97.JPG

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We have units in each room of our house. But I can tell you this.  If I leave the air on in my bedroom(13K) with the door open it will cool the living room down some too.  If you go outside and come back in you can feel it noticeably cooler.  However, for some reason, if I leave the living room air(17K) on with the bedroom door open I do not notice the bedroom cooling down that much.  I don't know why it works that way.  Maybe if you put a fan in the living room blowing air into the bedroom it would help.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a Tcl 12,000 btu fitted a month ago 14,000 baht for the bedroom, just leave the door open and the air wafts through,  within a hour the living room/ kitchen 45 M2 is comfortably cool, 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rwill said:

We have units in each room of our house. But I can tell you this.  If I leave the air on in my bedroom(13K) with the door open it will cool the living room down some too.  If you go outside and come back in you can feel it noticeably cooler.  However, for some reason, if I leave the living room air(17K) on with the bedroom door open I do not notice the bedroom cooling down that much.  I don't know why it works that way.  Maybe if you put a fan in the living room blowing air into the bedroom it would help.

 

More air leaks out of the living room than the bedroom. This allows the cool air to move in...

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Modern Air has a great website that will allow you to see what's available. Know what you want before you go to buy something. I like Carrier products but they sell most everything. 

Products - Modernair

 

Carrier Thailand has a nice BTU calculator if you want an idea of what size you need. 

BTU Calculator - Carrier Thailand

 

I recommend:

1. Figure out what you want.

2. Use Lazada and other sites to find the lowest price, including installation.

3. Go to the full-service air conditioner shop closest to your home and get a quote from them.

4. If their price is fair, go with them.

5. If their pric eis not fair, hammer them down, they should be able to get pretty close to the cheapest installed price you found.

 

It is nice to have a small business close by that you can build a relationship with. 

 

I like Carrier products, and they have a great warranty.

 

If you've got the dough, do yourself a favor and look at cassette units, they have a lot of advantages over the wall units, and they are getting more popular so we are seeing a lot of new models and players in the market. 

 

I think multi-splits are ideal, but they do not seem to be common enough in Thailand to be a good choice yet. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of going with the cassette style and having the option of being able to place the unit in the center of the room. I like Carrier products also so hopefully I can find a local shop that carries them. I, agree on using a local shop I seem to have better service with the ones I have used to build the house over the big box stores. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Although we did not buy a mini-split or ceiling ducted A/C, we had REALLY good luck with ModernAir in BK. Awesome service & extras!

I'm heading into Tak today so hoping I can find a local shop there that can help me out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ban Mai Guy said:

I'm heading into Tak today so hoping I can find a local shop there that can help me out. 

of course you will.  There is always somebody who will sell you an expensive unit that you don't need and back it up with spurious numbers of square metres and BTUs.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

If you've got the dough, do yourself a favor and look at cassette units, they have a lot of advantages over the wall units, and they are getting more popular so we are seeing a lot of new models and players in the market. 

 

I think multi-splits are ideal, but they do not seem to be common enough in Thailand to be a good choice yet.

Yep, we went with Carrier, too. Good enough for King Vajiravudh, good enough for us!

 

What, please, is a cassette unit?

 

Local shops frequently go out of business. I'd suggest a big outfit like ModernAir, best prices & just a phone call away.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, Jeffrey346 said:

Must be the Brand as my bedroom is 20 sqm and has a 12,500 BTU Daikin Inverter and the room gets ice cold.

My house is insolated concrete block and the ceiling is insolated. Probably makes a big difference.

I doubt the construction makes any difference, my house is cavity wall construction, walls about 10 inches thick.

Your initial comment is much more valid, Daikin is about the best performing ACs on the market, but outside my budget.

day28_5.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

of course you will.  There is always somebody who will sell you an expensive unit that you don't need and back it up with spurious numbers of square metres and BTUs.  

So, tell us your go to guy in the Ban Chang area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...