Air conditioner size

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, tell us your go to guy in the Ban Chang area. 

I bought all my units from Mega Home and I told them what size I wanted in each room,  they never got the chance to sell me something I didn't need. The installation chap told me that, according to his numbers,  the master bedroom unit was too small for that size room, but it has worked very well for the last 4 years, so I guess he was wrong. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Yep, we went with Carrier, too. Good enough for King Vajiravudh, good enough for us!

What, please, is a cassette unit?

Local shops frequently go out of business. I'd suggest a big outfit like ModernAir, best prices & just a phone call away.

Cassette units generally mount in the center of the room, warm return air is drawn up through the center, and cool air is distributed about the perimeter. They circulate the air better, particularly in large rooms, and the condensate is pumped out rather than just draining. 

cassette.JPG.7520eef8dbe9273babf998e78a7fa8e2.JPG

From my experience be wary of what the shops recommend,  I went for a Daikin cassette unit in a roughly 45m2 lounge and they installed 2 x 24k  units , one running in the day can keep the room uncomfortably cold don't need the second  unit.  At least I have lots of redundancy which cost me B50,000! So the advice from this mug, is Sales people never exaggerate or sell you more than you need. 

3 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

From my experience be wary of what the shops recommend,  I went for a Daikin cassette unit in a roughly 45m2 lounge and they installed 2 x 24k  units , one running in the day can keep the room uncomfortably cold don't need the second  unit.  At least I have lots of redundancy which cost me B50,000! So the advice from this mug, is Sales people never exaggerate or sell you more than you need. 

If the room is too cold, the "thermostat" is not working. 

I doubt very much you bought two Daiken cassette units for B50,000. Maybe wall units...

Just to clarify my post. One unit was B50,000, thats my spare which in hindsight I did not need,  but I was a mug and listened to the salesman and paid B100,000 for 2. I could make the room too cold with one unit, if I wanted to. Both units work fine and I use one to  keep it at a comfortable temperature.  

On 4/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ban Mai Guy said:

Thanks I was afraid of that as I was hoping to go with what we call back in the US is a "mini split".  I, think I'll just have to go with what is figured out for a system for the living room as I don't have the means of putting in a "central air" system. Anything at this point is better than nothing to take the edge off. Nothing like sleeping in a heat box..55555 then again the more I stay here the heat only gets better to deal with. Thanks for your input. I'll be hitting Home Pro after Songkran to check out my options. 

My airconditioner is what's called a split unit (Carrier brand). The compressor is outside. The coolant runs through a pipe that passes through my computer room into my bedroom, where the cooling unit is. I set up an electric fan in the bedroom aimed toward the door into the computer room, and that seems to move enough of the cool air to where I spend most of the daytime hours. I think my unit is 9,000 BTU, but not sure. The documentation doesn''t state it. I think that's supposed to be enough for, like, 200 square meters.  I've found that it works best for me if I set the thermostat at 28°C. There's a control on mine to fix the angle the air is directed at, so it doesn't blow directly at my bed but a couple of feet above it. I usually wake up around midnight from the chill, and turn it off and  find the fan is enough. I lived quite a few years without air con, so my body got acclimated; your mileage may vary.

On 4/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, sandyf said:

I doubt the construction makes any difference, my house is cavity wall construction, walls about 10 inches thick.

Your initial comment is much more valid, Daikin is about the best performing ACs on the market, but outside my budget.

day28_5.JPG

I like how your building your walls eliminating what we call in the states thermal bridging. I think the air space will keep your house much cooler. 

• Like 2