Retirement extension as a dependent, re entry permit expired what to do ....?

Can somebody please shed some light....

My mother moved to Thailand in 2018 as a “dependent “ of her husband with a retirement visa both aged 75 and UK citizens, she then left Thailand to return to the UK in 2019, she obtained a multi re-entry permit ( October 2019 )and planned to return to Thailand in 2020 before her re-entry permit was due to expire, however covid restrictions in the UK meant she couldn’t return to Thailand in May 2020 as planned.

She would now like to return to Thailand to be with her husband only her Visa as a dependent has expired and so has the re-entry permit. Does anybody have an ideas on how she can return as a dependent without going through the arduous process of obtaining a separate retirement Visa herself ? 

Many Thanks

She should apply for a Non O visa as the dependant of someone on a long stay visa. Before going ahead, verify that there is no surprising restriction on acquiring a COE with such a visa. I do not think there is a problem.

The main alternative (assuming financial proof can be demonstrated) would be to enter Thailand visa exempt, and apply for conversion to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of retirement. Unfortunately, there is no mechanism for apply for conversion to be a dependant of a foreigner with long stay status.

If her husbands extension is still valid she will need copies of his passport pages to prove he has one to apply for single entry non-o visa. Along with with copies of their marriage certificate.

The London embassy website is not clear on it being allowed for getting a certificate of entry at this time.

See: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

But the certificate of entry site does have this shown. image.png.827a48558126c40ab68b1dd5f501d1fb.png See: https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

The requirement under the heading on the non immigrant visa page under this title. Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

See: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If her husbands extension is still valid she will need copies of his passport pages to prove he has one to apply for single entry non-o visa. Along with with copies of their marriage certificate.

The London embassy website is not clear on it being allowed for getting a certificate of entry at this time.

See: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

But the certificate of entry site does have this shown. image.png.827a48558126c40ab68b1dd5f501d1fb.png See: https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

The requirement under the heading on the non immigrant visa page under this title. Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

See: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Many Thanks 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

She should apply for a Non O visa as the dependant of someone on a long stay visa. Before going ahead, verify that there is no surprising restriction on acquiring a COE with such a visa. I do not think there is a problem.

The main alternative (assuming financial proof can be demonstrated) would be to enter Thailand visa exempt, and apply for conversion to a Non Immigrant entry for purposes of retirement. Unfortunately, there is no mechanism for apply for conversion to be a dependant of a foreigner with long stay status.

Many Thanks

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your answer is 100% correct. I must add though that this will be treated as a new application, therefore she will have to get the 40k baht outpatient and 400k baht inpatient insurance as well as the $100k Covid insurance. This insurance is required for all new Non O applications as well as the OA. From the UK if the OP had an existing extension with a re entry permit only the $100 would be required. This could be costly for a 75 year old.

28 minutes ago, jimn said:

Your answer is 100% correct. I must add though that this will be treated as a new application, therefore she will have to get the 40k baht outpatient and 400k baht inpatient insurance as well as the $100k Covid insurance. This insurance is required for all new Non O applications as well as the OA. From the UK if the OP had an existing extension with a re entry permit only the $100 would be required. This could be costly for a 75 year old.

That is only needed if applying based upon retirement. Only the covid 19 insurance is needed for other reasons to apply for a non-o visas and it would only need to be for 90 day entry the visa allows.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only needed if applying based upon retirement. Only the covid 19 insurance is needed for other reasons to apply for a non-o visas and it would only need to be for 90 day entry the visa allows.

I understand your point and I stand corrected if you are right. I have been through the London COE page and nowhere is dependants visa mentioned. i therefore concluded that as her husband has a retirement extension that she would have the same insurance requirements because it is a dependant visa off of a retirement extension?

1 minute ago, jimn said:

I have been through the London COE page and nowhere is dependants visa mentioned. i therefore concluded that as her husband has a retirement extension that she would have the same insurance requirements because it is a dependant visa off of a retirement extension?

There is officially no dependent visa or extension. The correct name is to visit or stay with a family.

On the non immigrant visa page it is titled as "Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only".

This on the COE page this would fit that type of visa. image.png.827a48558126c40ab68b1dd5f501d1fb.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Slightly off topic what would the procedure be for a straight expired in September multi entry retirement visa be????? 

Presumably, your multiple entry "retirement" visa (the official term is "long stay) must be a Non O-A. If you had a Non O-X visa, it would not yet be expired. The rules when applying for a new Non O-A visa are little changed from the last time you did it. However, you are now expected to be able to show health insurance with 400k baht in-patient cover and 40k baht outpatient cover.