Thailand set to close all bars, pubs, massage parlours in 41 provinces for 14 days

webfact

2 hours ago, hlj said:

With the reported cases now in Chiang Mai, I do not understand why Chiang Mai is not on this list yet.

A paper we cannot mention states that Chiang Mai is on the list;

The 41 provinces where all entertainment venues - bars, pubs, clubs and karaoke bars - will be closed are:

• Bangkok
  • Ayutthaya
  • Buri Ram
  • Chachoengsao
  • Chaiyaphum
  • Chanthaburi
  • Chiang Mai

2 hours ago, hlj said:

With the reported cases now in Chiang Mai, I do not understand why Chiang Mai is not on this list yet.

And there are no (NONE, - ZERO, - ZILCH cases on Koh Samui - none for more than 90 days on a small isolated island) yet it is on the list as it is classed as part of Surat Thani, that recently had 6 (SIX!) cases - all from a prison in  Narathiwat province, giving a total of 17 active cases.

Edited by sambum

2 hours ago, mike1967 said:

If the UK variant has made its way into Thailand then the only chance they'll have is to put the whole country into lockdown now. You can't stop this variant by shutting pubs alone. Surely then can see what's happening across the rest of the world? This is seriously serious!!!

It cant be stopped simply by shutting everything down. Everyone coming into Thailand from abroad goes into quarantine where the news reports it as "imported cases" if they show positive after 5 days of quarantine. That should never happen as everyone except Thai nationals have to have a negative test before flying  so it stands to reason this is not where the infections are coming from. Migrants travelling freely across borders ignoring or bribing their way back and forth can be the only logical reason and still nothing being done about it until there's an outbreak somewhere where they all work and  THEN its locked down. With the greatest will in the world some get through or have already left. Tighten the borders, stop corrupt officials and really lock it down coupled with a proper vaccine rollout is the only way this is ever going to be stopped...

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Close them but still let possibly infected travel all over the country?

I understand where you're coming from... I think it's a case of trying to control large groups gathering for extended periods of time in close proximity while ignoring all safety protocols.

In truth places located in Thong Lor ignored all the warnings and have now kicked off the bans again.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 10baht said:

#38 is missing and probably CM

#38 and #39 are missing.

I guess they reserved those as a joker, which can use at the last minute

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CLW said:

How do you define pub? Or is that the Thai translation for drinking parlour?

Many pubs serve respectable food and draught beer. Well, the latter seems to be banned anyway. But what about the food? They want to drive more people into bankruptcy and suicide? 

Just because a few hi so in Thonglor had to joke with the virus

You forget - the hi so are the ones that matter...

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

It cant be stopped simply by shutting everything down. Everyone coming into Thailand from abroad goes into quarantine where the news reports it as "imported cases" if they show positive after 5 days of quarantine. That should never happen as everyone except Thai nationals have to have a negative test before flying  so it stands to reason this is not where the infections are coming from. Migrants travelling freely across borders ignoring or bribing their way back and forth can be the only logical reason and still nothing being done about it until there's an outbreak somewhere where they all work and  THEN its locked down. With the greatest will in the world some get through or have already left. Tighten the borders, stop corrupt officials and really lock it down coupled with a proper vaccine rollout is the only way this is ever going to be stopped...

All very true but there's more chance of managing it before it becomes completely out of control. Having seen, first hand, what happens if delay tactics are used then this can only go one way. Obviously, it's the last thing that anyone wants but this variant will rip through Thailand just like it has in every other country where it's been in general circulation. Maybe it will come to nothing but I don't have a good feeling about it. Like I've been saying for months, the whole world needs to be on a level playing field in regards to vaccines and who knows if that'll happen? 

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Well, it worked last year, we've been safer because of it.  But why allow tourists in while doing this?

Now exactly "how do you come to that conclusion"  If the Quarantines, Lockdowns, Masks,  Social Distancing, Airport Closures, Bar Closures, Restaurant and Entertainment Spot Closures, and unlimited amount of hand sanitizer at every store was keeping us safer, why do we have to do it again.  

You are "assuming" you were "safer" with zero proof that the outcome without such controls would have been worse or the same. 

For all eternity, people have caught viruses including the common cold, and the flu.  Despite decades of research and development of vaccines to prevent the flu 9% of the world's population gets the flu each and every year.  To somehow think that "this time will be different" is just a fantasy. 

You face far more risk of death and serious injury venturing out on any of Thailand's roads each day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Maybe true As cv-19 spikes, but ultimately who knows. I also gather it may be a control thing and then the thought of telling a of Thailand and the world that they were successful in curbing road related accidents and deaths during the 7 days of carnage. My guess is they also line the control and can stop any and all protests against them this way. 

43 minutes ago, peter48 said:

UK still had massive numbers of hospitalisation after they immediately locked down London etc., Thats 4 months ago bars still not open nor restaurants, no non essential shops, no hairdressers etc., No real family mixing too, This virulent & more serious virus variant happening as millions move around at this holiday time is quite frightening.  Be careful, wear  masks in busy places especially indoors...meet outdoors. Avoid crowded buses. Younger people will be asymptomatic but could spread to elders who may be most vulnerable to lung infections. Meet outside. 

Lol.

Look at you cracking jokes.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thought Mr. Big said he was not going to do this yesterday ! And then as Scritti Politti said 'Boom, there she was'.  If the yo-yoing starts at the top, there truly is no hope for this country in a pandemic.

I’m no fan of Mr Big either but under the circumstances it’s the right thing but I also think travel should be restricted before the situation gets out of hand. You only need to look at Europe's 3rd wave to see the potential.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I understand where you're coming from... I think it's a case of trying to control large groups gathering for extended periods of time in close proximity while ignoring all safety protocols.

In truth places located in Thong Lor ignored all the warnings and have now kicked off the bans again.

"

I think it's a case of trying to control large groups gathering for extended periods of time in close proximity while ignoring all safety protocols."

Does that include large groups of people gathering for extended periods of time while waiting for a bus or a train to take them (and possibly the virus) home to their families for Songkran? How is Mr Anutin going to prevent those "gatherings" and enforce all safety protocols?