Thailand set to close all bars, pubs, massage parlours in 41 provinces for 14 days

webfact

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

"

I think it's a case of trying to control large groups gathering for extended periods of time in close proximity while ignoring all safety protocols."

Does that include large groups of people gathering for extended periods of time while waiting for a bus or a train to take them (and possibly the virus) home to their families for Songkran? How is Mr Anutin going to prevent those "gatherings" and enforce all safety protocols? 

Most people who queue for a bus or train wear a mask... the issue with bars is the mask is forgotten.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Now exactly "how do you come to that conclusion"  If the Quarantines, Lockdowns, Masks,  Social Distancing, Airport Closures, Bar Closures, Restaurant and Entertainment Spot Closures, and unlimited amount of hand sanitizer at every store was keeping us safer, why do we have to do it again.  

You are "assuming" you were "safer" with zero proof that the outcome without such controls would have been worse or the same. 

For all eternity, people have caught viruses including the common cold, and the flu.  Despite decades of research and development of vaccines to prevent the flu 9% of the world's population gets the flu each and every year.  To somehow think that "this time will be different" is just a fantasy. 

You face far more risk of death and serious injury venturing out on any of Thailand's roads each day. 

Simply looking at numbers here vs numbers in most of the world.

56 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

It cant be stopped simply by shutting everything down. Everyone coming into Thailand from abroad goes into quarantine where the news reports it as "imported cases" if they show positive after 5 days of quarantine. That should never happen as everyone except Thai nationals have to have a negative test before flying  so it stands to reason this is not where the infections are coming from. Migrants travelling freely across borders ignoring or bribing their way back and forth can be the only logical reason and still nothing being done about it until there's an outbreak somewhere where they all work and  THEN its locked down. With the greatest will in the world some get through or have already left. Tighten the borders, stop corrupt officials and really lock it down coupled with a proper vaccine rollout is the only way this is ever going to be stopped...

Lets say I am flying to BKK on Sunday. I have my test today which is clear. I then go to visit family on Friday and some friends on Saturday for a farewell drink. 5 days after arrival I test positive - because all my friends and family were infected and they didn't know.

So it can, and does happen. Frequently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

Then restrict the old to their homes and let the rest, with 0.2% fatality rate, live their lives. 

Beside, hiding from the disease will only prolong it. No, don't count on the "vaccine"  to save the day. First off, it's too risky to take--data keeps rolling in to validate that point; secondly, it'll likely induce new mutations that will eventually bypass it. Who knows, purpose even more lethal variants.

As for overwhelming the HC system. It's a concern, but I wouldn't stop life for that. It's really not top priority in our complex societies. 

The best you can do is eat healthy, exercise and maintain high vitamin D levels.  Good luck.

I can only think you must be joking with your ill informed and totally incorrect quotes. If not, you must be a total joy to live with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:
3 hours ago, internationalism said:

Today i am going to arrange with massage clinic and pay in advance for 20h, so i will have preferencial treatment and negotiated price. 

if the same therapist works on me and on my wife for many hours daily, she daesnt have time for anybody else. Risk is small. 

that was also the  case with massage shops after xmass restrictions, just a matter of knowing them earlier

Expand  

If your wife is there I can't see it ending happily.

BRILLIANT

Just now, mike1967 said:
19 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

Then restrict the old to their homes and let the rest, with 0.2% fatality rate, live their lives. 

Beside, hiding from the disease will only prolong it. No, don't count on the "vaccine"  to save the day. First off, it's too risky to take--data keeps rolling in to validate that point; secondly, it'll likely induce new mutations that will eventually bypass it. Who knows, purpose even more lethal variants.

As for overwhelming the HC system. It's a concern, but I wouldn't stop life for that. It's really not top priority in our complex societies. 

The best you can do is eat healthy, exercise and maintain high vitamin D levels.  Good luck.

Expand  

I can only think you must be joking with your ill informed and totally incorrect quotes. If not, you must be a total joy to live with.

Abigsmile is correct

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

This constant lockdown is not going to solve the virus problem....viruses come and go from being strong to eventually being weak.You cannot eradicate a virus,it has to take it's course.Vunerable people should self isolate,the rest just get on with their lives.Vaccinated people ,if they catch the virus should have lesser symptons.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

Thailand eyes nightlife curbs to arrest third coronavirus wave

By Panarat Thepgumpanat

2021-04-08T065100Z_1_LYNXMPEH370CD_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

Healthcare workers take nasal swab samples from local residents for a COVID-19 test after hundreds of residents of Watthana district and the trendy Thonglor neighborhood tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Bangkok, Thailand, April 8, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand is considering closing entertainment venues in Bangkok and 40 provinces, its COVID-19 taskforce said on Thursday, as authorities rushed to tackle a new wave of coronavirus cases and the arrival of a highly contagious variant.

The taskforce urged the public and private sector to let employees work from home and to avoid non-essential travel, while 405 new infections were reported on Thursday in a new outbreak connected to Bangkok's infamous nightlife.

The spike in infections comes at a tricky time for Thailand, ahead of next week's annual Songkran festival, known for big social gatherings and notoriously crowded water fights that authorities have banned.

Adding to concerns, Thailand on Wednesday for the first time confirmed the presence locally of the highly transmissible coronavirus variant B.1.1.7 first identified in Britain.

The SARS-CoV-2 variant known as B.1.1.7 has been found in more than 100 countries and has been blamed for fuelling new waves of infections in record numbers.

Thailand plans to start its mass immunisation campaign in June but has been immunising health workers or people deemed vulnerable, with more than 300,000 recipients so far.

Thai experts are puzzled at how it evaded the country's strict border controls and quarantine system, which has helped keep overall cases to a relatively low 30,310 and deaths at 95.

The taskforce said a change in the quarantine period introduced this month, which reduces it to seven or 10 days, instead of the mandatory 14 days, may be reconsidered.

The health ministry is seeking approval from the taskforce to close entertainment venues, including pubs and karaoke bars, for two weeks, a taskforce spokesman said, in 40 provinces and Bangkok. New cases have been reported in 20 province.

Earlier on Thursday, government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said entertainment spots with coronavirus cases had already been ordered closed and more categories of venues could be affected if the outbreak spreads.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-08

1 hour ago, AMFWolfie said:

It cant be stopped simply by shutting everything down. Everyone coming into Thailand from abroad goes into quarantine where the news reports it as "imported cases" if they show positive after 5 days of quarantine. That should never happen as everyone except Thai nationals have to have a negative test before flying  so it stands to reason this is not where the infections are coming from. Migrants travelling freely across borders ignoring or bribing their way back and forth can be the only logical reason and still nothing being done about it until there's an outbreak somewhere where they all work and  THEN its locked down. With the greatest will in the world some get through or have already left. Tighten the borders, stop corrupt officials and really lock it down coupled with a proper vaccine rollout is the only way this is ever going to be stopped...

Remember the time difference from when you have the test to when you board the plane is 72 hours. How long does it take to get infected? You can have your test 60 hours before boarding your plane but still get infected 12 hours before you board your plane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Snig27 said:

The question being asked everywhere on social media it seems, is which members of the highest strata of Thai society have the ability to travel freely without quarantine? Krystal pub is very much the haunt of these people.  We have cabinet ministers too refusing to disclose their movements in the last week or two.  

received_234910288324341.jpeg

• Confused 1