Configure ZTE modem

Aforek

Hello, I want to enter my modem ZTE ZXHN-F680 

do you know this modem ( with TOT )  ? . Problem they ask username, password, ok for that, and then " Validate Code " ; which code ? do you know ? there are characters to enter, that's what I do, but  I have an "error " message ; so, how to do it ? do you have a ZTE modem ? there are tutorials on Internet, but all show ancient models, there was not this story of " validate code " 

thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aforek said:

there are characters to enter, that's what I do, but  I have an "error " message ; so, how to do it

Just noticed you still get the error after entering the code,

I have the same modem and user name is   admin  and password is   tot   both lower case.

If the code does not work do a refresh and try another one.  

:thumbsup:

I did what you say, but with Edge, so I changed to Firefox and it works

it's not the first time that something which doesn't work with Edge works with Firefox

Edge, not completely finished ! 

for the password, it's better to put a personnal and very difficult one  

25 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

I have the same modem and user name is   admin  and password is   tot   both lower case.

:thumbsup:

As you have the same modem, for MAC Filter, there are two lines " Source MAC adress " and "Destination MAC adress  ; I have to write the same MAC adress in both lines ? 

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Aforek said:

did what you say, but with Edge, so I changed to Firefox and it works

it's not the first time that something which doesn't work with Edge works with Firefox

Works just fine on Edge with me.

7 minutes ago, Aforek said:

As you have the same modem, for MAC Filter, there are two lines " Source MAC adress " and "Destination MAC adress  ; I have to write the same MAC adress in both lines ? 

Erm!    You'll have to give me a clue what page you are looking at. 

49 minutes ago, Aforek said:

It's in Security, MAC Filter : I want to write the MAC Address of people that I allow to share my connection 

Seems I can't help you on this one my MAC addresses are empty.

Filter.jpg.789345771fbc401be838941b8b91cc86.jpg

If you experiment with the settings be sure to take a screenshot of the page so if it goes wrong you can go back to how it was without having to call the TOT technicians :whistling:  

Normal it's empty, if you want to allow people , you have to put the MAC address of these  people 

in fact, I did fill the two lines with the same MAC address, not knowing why there are two lines 

now, only people with the MAC address here can use my connection, that's why it's called a filter 

I don't know what particular situation you are trying to set up, but let me just throw a couple things out there...

MAC addresses are easily spoofed, there's freeware apps that allow you to type in any hex code you want for a MAC address. Relying on MAC addresses for security is about as safe as SMS PIN codes for website logins, ie, not very.

I'm presuming this is a ZTE modem model without WiFi, in which case blocking MAC addresses is only going to block connections physically connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable. If this is a concern, you'll want to secure your modem in a case or closet with a lock or some sort of security. Presumably you have a WiFi router as well, so if you are going to block MAC addresses, the MAC address of the router must be white-listed, as well as any other other hardwired devices such as a NAS or media server.

If you are concerned about random people connecting to your network via WiFi then that's not related to your modem. Configure your WiFi router with a WPA2 encrypted password and ensure your users don't the share password with others. If you still want to do MAC address blocking for individual WiFi users, you can set that up in the router too.

You can also hide the SSID, which is not necessarily more secure, but it will make your network effectively invisible to casual snoopers (neighbors). Note that doing this can make network setup on some devices problematic.

From personal experience, setting up a secure environment like you'd find in a workplace does not work well in a home situation. You'll probably give up after a while when you realize how much work you're putting into modifying MAC address tables regularly. It's best to just setup a secure WiFi password and maybe monitor the connection logs periodically to see if there's anything unusual going on. You might also consider a VPN for doing particularly sensitive internet stuff.

• Like 1