Returning to the UK soon? Good luck organizing the mandatory quarantine Covid tests

trevoromgh

I am surprised at this thread. Although UK residents are forbidden from leaving the UK there seems to be few restrictions on people arriving. That the system is in disarray is not surprising because of every aspect of the British covid containment campaign has been botched, confused and murderously ineffective. Airport  and travel restrictions have only been applied recently  and only to designated  red countries. Is or was Thailand a designated red country? Last week thousands of Pakistanis returned from Pakistan in a hurry before it got classified as a red. Regarding the OP sign in problems: this is a common problem. He needs to clear cookies from his browser and start again or use one of his other email accounts.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, poohy said:

Thanks for this ...... this is completely unknown to me

Silly me thought it was quick test here and "Bobs your uncle" jump on plane get off an in the pub!

Mind the way these Cluckwits are now messing things up it maybe even full blown quarantine on UK arrival in the near future

I would not accuse the locals of cluckwittery. Posslbly the OP and the UK seem a more appropriate target. Here the system, though inconvenient, seems to work smoothly. According to the OP the UK system is not fit for purpose.

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I am surprised at this thread. Although UK residents are forbidden from leaving the UK there seems to be few restrictions on people arriving. That the system is in disarray is not surprising because of every aspect of the British covid containment campaign has been botched, confused and murderously ineffective. Airport  and travel restrictions have only been applied recently  and only to designated  red countries. Is or was Thailand a designated red country? Last week thousands of Pakistanis returned from Pakistan in a hurry before it got classified as a red. Regarding the OP sign in problems: this is a common problem. He needs to clear cookies from his browser and start again or use one of his other email accounts.

Not really sure why you are surprised as many people, such as me, got caught when countries around the world closed down air flights and when opportunities became available the number of cases in the UK was at its peak so not wise to return but now the vaccine rollout is well underway and case numbers have been cut considerably it seems likely to be safe to return.  Thanks for the tip I may try that if no-one from the GOV.UK responds.

An important aspect of the OP's message regarding who administers the paper work is unclear. Are the airlines actually checking documents at check in? I am not sure if this is the case.  Reading the UK press, of the problems with flying in, which are legion, nothing the OP mentions are referenced in the UK.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:41 AM, ThaiPauly said:

Sounds horrendous. 

I want to return, but after having gone through all this you are expected  to do something similar  if not worse, to get back into LOS.

Please keep us abreast of your progress, you will be helping many people who need to go through this process at some time  now or in the near future.

Many thanks and good luck

TP

If you plan to come back why would  you leave?

25 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Have you got the URL web link for the Scottish portal as I'd like to see if you can order it if you live in England and no need to land in Scotland?

The portal only allows Scottish airport selection, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

https://quarantinehotels.ctmportal.co.uk/Quarantine/Home.aspx/?country=Scotland

Although I am Scottish, my home is now in the northwest of England. There are 26 northwest clinics listed on the England information website. By doing an area code search on their listed phone number, most are in Manchester where I would normally be arriving but is not my final destination. I found a clinic listed that is about 10 miles from my final destination but their website doesn't work.

That seventy seven quid,  four hour layover in my old home looks better all the time.

PS: Here's the portal for ordering from an England arrival. Although Manchester isn't listed, it has your three London airports plus some other, unexpected ones.

https://quarantinehotels.ctmportal.co.uk/Quarantine/Home.aspx?Country=England

Edited by NanLaew

18 hours ago, polpott said:

You can only enter the PCL within 48 hours of your flight. Why would you be doing that now? I am flying back in 2 weeks and will do it at the appropriate time. Already booked my day 2 and day 8 tests, £180. The only problem I had was with the test and release scheme where you have another test on day 5. You can do it by post but by the time you get your results back quarantine would be almost over. Limited number of walk in clinics, none north of Luton. I was hoping to do it at Boots but although they have 130 branches doing RT-PCR tests, for some reason they aren't part of the scheme.

Already booked my test at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, test in the morning, results in the afternoon.

Good luck. We'll done. Can you supply informationon on your return about how your paperwork  was  checked regarding accessing the plane?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, roquefort said:

I returned last month, PCR test at Sukhumvit Hospital Bangkok, test in the morning, results that afternoon, cost 4,500 baht. Nothing particularly difficult or unusual in the locator form, it's just so they know where you're quarantining and how to contact you.

The two home tests in the UK cost £210 (although home testing is a bit of a lottery - there's no guarantee you use the swab properly so I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot of false negatives).  Bit of a queue at Heathrow, maybe 20 minutes, then ten days quarantine at home. The ridiculous thing is if you live on your own you have to break quarantine to go out and find a special postbox to send the tests to the lab!

All in all no big deal.

Very informative. May I ask more about the specifics of departure? Did the airlines check your documents? Who knew that you had  fulfilled all the requirements and complied with UK governmen rules?

25 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Not really sure why you are surprised as many people, such as me, got caught when countries around the world closed down air flights and when opportunities became available the number of cases in the UK was at its peak so not wise to return but now the vaccine rollout is well underway and case numbers have been cut considerably it seems likely to be safe to return.  Thanks for the tip I may try that if no-one from the GOV.UK responds.

Perhaps easier to set up a new dedicated email account. When entering any email address to register with any organisation ensure there is no full stop at the end of your email address and no space. Always check by back spacing.  The error you mention is galling but common. You can clean all the cookies in your browser or select by site or date. Good luck. I read all the UK press everyday and am in contact with my family. It seems like living hell for people who abide by the rules.

Edited by The Hammer2021

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary.  The Thai system  seems to be cheaper,  faster  and more efficient than the UK system.  But no surprise there!

Totally agree, my comment was tongue in cheek against the anti Thai brigade.

9 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary.  The Thai system  seems to be cheaper,  faster  and more efficient than the UK system.  But no surprise there!

Is it not the case that the faster the system is, the more certain pockets are lined.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is it not the case that the faster the system is, the more certain pockets are lined.

Probably not but your attitude they can't win whatever they do thus your view is pointless carping from the sidelines for thai bashing purposes What do you propose? Fast action, slow action or no action?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

An important aspect of the OP's message regarding who administers the paper work is unclear. Are the airlines actually checking documents at check in? I am not sure if this is the case.  Reading the UK press, of the problems with flying in, which are legion, nothing the OP mentions are referenced in the UK.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9452909/Passengers-film-chaotic-scenes-Islamabad-Airport-hundreds-race-reach-UK.html

4 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Probably not but your attitude they can't win whatever they do thus your view is pointless carping from the sidelines for thai bashing purposes What do you propose? Fast action, slow action or no action?

Did you actually read my post, where does any Thai bashing come in? I am on about the unelected "PM" and his soldiers, not the ordinary Thai people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If you plan to come back why would  you leave?

Lots of reasons for people to make the round trip. For me, urgent medical treatment, only available in the UK, birth of my first grandchild, vaccine, and to see friends and family that I haven't seen for 2 years now.

On 4/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, sandyf said:

Bound to be, only Thailand makes things difficult.

On the contrary. Try getting out of the UK. You can't. It's illegal currently. Try getting anything  done under UK draconian lock down rules ditto Australia  ditto New  Zealand and Germany  France etc...Thailand  is the easiest  place to get anything done. If you have problems here God help you elsewhere. Nobody who has experienced  real travel would find Thailand  remotely difficult.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, polpott said:

Lots of reasons for people to make the round trip. For me, urgent medical treatment, only available in the UK, birth of my first grandchild, vaccine, and to see friends and family that I haven't seen for 2 years now.

You are aware you  currently can't leave the UK if you are a UK citizen?

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Did you actually read my post, where does any Thai bashing come in? I am on about the unelected "PM" and his soldiers, not the ordinary Thai people. 

I am pleased to stand corrected but would you prefer no action, slow action or fast action?

Edited by The Hammer2021

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

Not true. There are a good number of exceptions to that rule and I'm confident that I could fit into one of them. Besides, I don't intend to return for at least 3 month, by which time I'm sure the situation will have changed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I am pleased to stand corrected but would you prefer no action, slow action or fast action?

Any sort of action would do just fine if it get's this unelected soldier and his tinpots out of office and a peoples government back in.

11 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary. Try getting out of the UK. You can't. It's illegal currently. Try getting anything  done under UK draconian lock down rules ditto Australia  ditto New  Zealand and Germany  France etc...Thailand  is the easiest  place to get anything done. If you have problems here God help you elsewhere. Nobody who has experienced  real travel would find Thailand  remotely difficult.

Why  ignore my last  response, was that too difficult.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Although UK residents are forbidden from leaving the UK there seems to be few restrictions on people arriving.

Have you been watching certain YouTubes where they say that thousands of foreigners are easily entering the UK every day then?

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:
On 4/10/2021 at 12:25 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Having yourself lived here on easy street for fifteen years, do you reckon that's OK?

Edited by NanLaew

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes you can. People are leaving daily. You just can't take an overseas vacation at the moment. Taking a holiday isn't a valid reason to travel overseas.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Any sort of action would do just fine if it get's this unelected soldier and his tinpots out of office and a peoples government back in.

But you still want it nice and easy, right?

On 4/10/2021 at 8:18 AM, NanLaew said:

The search for test clinics in England looks quite onerous and even more convoluted if one is seeking only those clinics that will provide the day 5/day 8 self-testing kit. However, if you are arriving in Scotland, there's a single portal website where you order and pay online with the kit delivered to any address in the UK.

I've checked my current itinerary and the international flight cost to arrive in Scotland or England is the same. The only add-on would be the 1-hour UK domestic flight of £77.

I stand abruptly corrected. Scottish rules say EVERYONE arriving from ANY foreign country has to do the hotel quarantine schtick. I dont' fancy one night at the Village Hotel in Aberdeen let alone 10 days!

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Yes you can. People are leaving daily. You just can't take an overseas vacation at the moment. Taking a holiday isn't a valid reason to travel overseas.

But you still want it nice and easy, right?

Anything wrong with that? That is why I retired to Thailand, all the expats I met then were full of praise for the country, a nice and easy way of living. I don't know anyone who thinks that now.

• Sad 1